Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM

17 posts, read 14,572 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

We are building a new home in Leander and noticed that the a/c thermostats are at stomach level instead of shoulder. The model home has them higher but the builder superintendent said that the code changed and now all new builds have to place the thermostats lower so they are handicap accessible.

I can see if this were a commercial building or apartments, but a private residence? Nothing else in the home is built for someone handicapped. Even the thermostat upstairs is lowered.

It looks ridiculous being at my kids level.

I can't find anything online about this code change which had to have taken place within the past two years. Does this sound d right?

I really want to insist on this being fixed but I need something to back me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM

230 posts, read 430,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjn View Post

We are building a new home in Leander and noticed that the a/c thermostats are at stomach level instead of shoulder. The model home has them higher but the builder superintendent said that the code changed and now all new builds have to place the thermostats lower so they are handicap accessible.

I can see if this were a commercial building or apartments, but a private residence? Nothing else in the home is built for someone handicapped. Even the thermostat upstairs is lowered.

I can't find anything online about this code change which had to have taken place within the past two years. Does this sound d right?

Ask him to quote the code he is going by. Once you have that information, go to the state's website and see if that code really applies. Frequently they don't, since states and lesser jurisdictions often keep their code adoptions one or two versions behind. States also have exceptions and/or additions to the various codes. Most builders and subs either don't bother to check or don't know how.

I found this out the hard way. We have a bunch of stuff that we did not want, like child proof outlets, that our builder and subs claimed they had to do because of code. When I checked later, I found out that none of the stuff I questioned was actually required by the state when they did it.

The only satisfaction I got was finding out the crappy electrical contractor screwed himself. He kept asking if I really wanted arc fault protection in the bedrooms, since the arc fault protectors were so unreliable. I told him if it was code, I wanted it.

He was trying to weasel out of installing arc fault protection because the protectors were expensive and he had flat bid the project by the square foot. In other words, he had to eat the cost. When I later checked the state website I found that there was an exception to the arc fault requirement for single family residences at that time. The electrician actually wasn't required to install them.

And we have not had a single arc fault trip in all the years we have been in the house.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In March, 2012 there were new standards for ADA accessibility, and they apply to new construction and alterations that go beyond mere maintenance. That included the mounting height requirement for light switches and thermostats (lowered from 54 inches to 48 inches) for any place of public accommodation.
That means business, school, library, hotel etc. That was a federal law, but any locality could either make their own rules and apply them to homes, or may have just misinterpreted the federal law.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
I know the ADA stuff applies to the COA. It might be that the COA mandated it, and the teams dont differentiate between austin and the surrounding cities.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
You are the homeowner. You are paying to get the house you want. If you want your thermostat at eye level or anywhere else that is what should happen. This is beyond ridiculous. Raise a stink and get what you want otherwise you will have a house full of annoyances.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
You are the homeowner. You are paying to get the house you want. If you want your thermostat at eye level or anywhere else that is what should happen. This is beyond ridiculous. Raise a stink and get what you want otherwise you will have a house full of annoyances.
Or just move the thermostat later.

Don in Austin

Old 10-11-2015, 11:16 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjn View Post

I am not aware of anything in the International Building Codes, the International Residential Code and others used by local authorities as the minimum building standard, that would "require" the thermostat at that level. If the builder is claiming it is an ADA requirement then you are correct that the remainder of the home should also conform to the ADA rules. If you would like to see those they are located here ADA.gov homepage .

Before you approach the builder I would recommend that you ask this question to the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) over residential building requirements in your home's area. This is typically the city/municipality/county Building Inspections Department. Some AHJ's have made interesting requirements and who knows this might be one, although I doubt it. Try to obtain your answer from the AHJ in writing.

Once you receive the AHJ's response that this is not required then send that email to the builder and ask they provide the specific building code or other reference requiring this. All HVAC systems should be engineered for a specific model home with specific and unique characteristics such as additions, direction of home, etc., etc. Part of thet engineered design is the placement of the thermostat. You can either wait for the builder to provide the answer to the first question or ask at the same time to view the engineered HVAC design to display this is what the Engineer called for.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
This is part of the COA visitability ordinance that addresses accessibility for disabled visitors to private homes. We are in the midst of construction and facing the same requirements (thermostats not higher than 48" from the floor).

See section R320.4 on the top of page 2 of the following:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=205386

While I would love to have them placed higher, we risk not passing inspection if we do, so I think the only option would be to move them after we move in. We have a family member who is disabled (who does not live with us) but they never control our thermostats, so we don't find this to be a helpful ordinance at all.

The part of this that is more frustrating, however, is that you must place all outlets at least 15" above the floor. We had planned to place our living room outlets close to the floor so any cords would be easier to maneuver around (and ideally lay flat), but we cannot.

As far as I understand, this ordinance applies to COA construction, so you might want to check about Leander. Perhaps your builder isn't distinguishing COA vs. Leander code....my guess is outside of COA you would not be subject to this ordinance.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:17 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
This is part of the COA visitability ordinance that addresses accessibility for disabled visitors to private homes. We are in the midst of construction and facing the same requirements (thermostats not higher than 48" from the floor).

See section R320.4 on the top of page 2 of the following:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=205386

While I would love to have them placed higher, we risk not passing inspection if we do, so I think the only option would be to move them after we move in. We have a family member who is disabled (who does not live with us) but they never control our thermostats, so we don't find this to be a helpful ordinance at all.

The part of this that is more frustrating, however, is that you must place all outlets at least 15" above the floor. We had planned to place our living room outlets close to the floor so any cords would be easier to maneuver around (and ideally lay flat), but we cannot.

As far as I understand, this ordinance applies to COA construction, so you might want to check about Leander. Perhaps your builder isn't distinguishing COA vs. Leander code....my guess is outside of COA you would not be subject to this ordinance.

Very interesting! Thank you for that link. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts or if it spreads to other cities? I have not seen any of this occurring here of late.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
There are all kinds of ADA requirements. Grading, stoop height, and starting quite soon, every new home in COA must be ramp-accessible.

I used to work with the ADA several years back. On the Federal level it is mostly reasonable stuff. Cities like Austin adopt it so they can claim victories for causes nobody is asking for that drive up the cost of housing - then they turn around and put in affordable housing programs for which the City is inevitably picking the winners and losers.

Individually, some of the requirements make sense, or else are such small adjustments that it's an easy accommodation. But there is never a real cost benefit analysis that goes into making residential construction function like a dentist's office. It is resume padding for politicians and bureaucrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin