Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 06:27 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a plan for parking at formula 1?

We are in round rock, and I see that we can take the rail to downtown, then pickup a shuttle provided by COTA.

The only thing is that the shuttle is 25 bucks per person?

Is there any other alternatives, the website for f1 says that you should have bought parking prepaid and we did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
They had to close all the grass parking lots due to the rain so even people with prepaid parking have to take the shuttle now.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
We have a pass for Lot T; they are saying as of now that it will be open tomorrow but that it will be very muddy, so they are recommending the shuttle from downtown. We're going for Lot T anyway. It cost a bloody fortune ($115/day) and we already ate the cost of today's pass, and we have a tall 4WD with mud tires. I'm sorry OP, but options are severely limited at this time. I think the train/shuttle is about your own means.

I appreciate that COTA is attempting better communication tonight for tomorrow. They really dropped the ball today.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 PM

45 posts, read 60,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We have a pass for Lot T; they are saying as of now that it will be open tomorrow but that it will be very muddy, so they are recommending the shuttle from downtown. We're going for Lot T anyway. It cost a bloody fortune ($115/day) and we already ate the cost of today's pass, and we have a tall 4WD with mud tires. I'm sorry OP, but options are severely limited at this time. I think the train/shuttle is about your own means.

I appreciate that COTA is attempting better communication tonight for tomorrow. They really dropped the ball today.
We had a pass for lot T also, but they had closed the lot when we got there. We found parking instead at another local house that was on Elroy and it was paved, ended up being much better for us. I know the area pretty week so I did not panic and knew where to look.

We walked through lot T and I could see why it was closed, they just parked the cars on the driveways instead (none on the grass) so it has a lot less capacity as a result. Still not cool for us who had paid $100 in advance.

When we were leaving lot T was a disaster. Cars were stuck, and people were angry.

COTA will have to suck it up and put down full gravel treatment on all their paid parking. I get the feeling a lot of people will not return next year.

I heard horrible things about the shuttles and the wait times this evening.

The racing and track itself is wonderful, but COTA management need to take serious actions to correct the traffic, parking and shuttle service.
Additionally here was big issues with lack of food vendors open on Sat, it annoyed a lot of people.

Sure the weather sucked but this is Texas, we get this type of weather frequently.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 AM

We made the call at 6:00 am yesterday and didn't even bother. I'm SO glad we stayed home. We enjoyed what turned out to be a phenomenal race on our DRY couch and big screen tv with queso and cocktails and a clean working bathroom. After reading some of the scathing feedback on COTA's FB page from people who waited hours to get a shuttle out of there or had to have cars pulled out of the mud, I'd say COTA has some serious damage control to deal with. They can't control the rain of course, but they were woefully ill-prepared with a contingency plan. I'm embarrassed that we represented so poorly for the thousands of international visitors who are used to world-class F1 tracks. COTA is not operating like one.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
LOL, I didn't even know that this was F-1 weekend. No one talked about it. The rain got far more coverage than F-1 ever did. There will always be folks that will appreciate it and will return every year, but I think the novelty is gradually waning. Even before the rain, I didn't see nearly as much media write-up about it as years past. And COTA sure didn't help things with their poor planning/handling of a natural event that was predicted several days before the event. Talk about a washout. I'm sure the Europeans didn't enjoy mudding.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL, I didn't even know that this was F-1 weekend. No one talked about it. The rain got far more coverage than F-1 ever did. There will always be folks that will appreciate it and will return every year, but I think the novelty is gradually waning. Even before the rain, I didn't see nearly as much media write-up about it as years past. And COTA sure didn't help things with their poor planning/handling of a natural event that was predicted several days before the event. Talk about a washout. I'm sure the Europeans didn't enjoy mudding.
I think there was plenty of coverage, it was more prominent on TV for one thing, much easier for American viewers to watch, we got the same thick F1 magazine with our paper on Thursday, there was coverage in the Statesman, in the physical paper and on-line, the local TV stations covered it. F1 is one of my favorite events because it has such a low impact on central Austin -- especially this year with the fan fest on Rainey street. It will be interesting to see how it goes in Mexico this week, Epstein was interviewed for a UK paper, he had some interesting things to say about F1 in the US.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 AM

Austin is just not a city full of motorsport fans. The attendance at race events throughout the season is a strong indicator of that. It's a pity, as it's truly a beautiful facility, with spectacular racing. I am saddened by the fact that it will most likely fail. As someone who grew up an hour-ish from both Sears Point and Laguna Seca Raceways, it's been my favorite activity since moving to Austin. Sadly, the market's just not here.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I think there was plenty of coverage, it was more prominent on TV for one thing, much easier for American viewers to watch, we got the same thick F1 magazine with our paper on Thursday, there was coverage in the Statesman, in the physical paper and on-line, the local TV stations covered it. F1 is one of my favorite events because it has such a low impact on central Austin -- especially this year with the fan fest on Rainey street. It will be interesting to see how it goes in Mexico this week, Epstein was interviewed for a UK paper, he had some interesting things to say about F1 in the US.
I don't get printed news anymore, so can't comment there. I don't watch local television either. Didn't see much coverage of it on statesman.com, or the news outlets (at least on their websites). No one really talked about it at my job, though we did give tickets to a good client of ours. I read on statesman.com that ticket sales are on the downward trend from 2013. Doesn't really surprise me at all.

Personally, I'm indifferent.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Austin is just not a city full of motorsport fans. The attendance at race events throughout the season is a strong indicator of that. It's a pity, as it's truly a beautiful facility, with spectacular racing. I am saddened by the fact that it will most likely fail. As someone who grew up an hour-ish from both Sears Point and Laguna Seca Raceways, it's been my favorite activity since moving to Austin. Sadly, the market's just not here.
That's been my observation as well. People might check out an event here and there but it's not really something that people "must do" every year. Definitely not the same as the international following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin