Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I voted against for the reasons offered in this thread. It's time to get back to basics in government. Wasting money on a palatial trophy property in the heart of downtown is stupid. I was especially offended by one news account where lawyers were complaining about it being inconvenient for them if moved out of dt. Really, so part of the argument was to subsidize transportation costs for attorneys? Let them take Uber.

I don't disagree that the current one is inadequate. But this would be like someone driving an old 15 year old Buick saying the only good replacement is a new Lexus, loaded. It's a false choice. Put it out by 130 and MLK and have lots of free parking.

Steve
Yes, this boondoggle would have only benefited lawyers and judges. They could have done a much bigger courthouse for a fraction of the price with surface lots near Highland Mall and the mall parking lots could be used for clients/lawyers/judges.

I also want to see the full plan for what happens to the Travis County Courthouse. It's on the National Register of Historical Buildings and there needs to be a plan for its full revitalization prior to me voting yes on any new bond election. It's overcrowded yes but it has good bones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, this boondoggle would have only benefited lawyers and judges. They could have done a much bigger courthouse for a fraction of the price with surface lots near Highland Mall and the mall parking lots could be used for clients/lawyers/judges.

I also want to see the full plan for what happens to the Travis County Courthouse. It's on the National Register of Historical Buildings and there needs to be a plan for its full revitalization prior to me voting yes on any new bond election. It's overcrowded yes but it has good bones.
Prediction: new courthouse at Decker Lake (or whatever out of the way corner is ultimately chosen), plus parking lots and road improvements to said corner, plus old courthouse restoration, none of which is on the docket at this time, will cost more than what was narrowly defeated yesterday, if and when we ever DO get a new courthouse.
Meanwhile, Austin rolls on, miraculously, considering the lack of planning and leadership (OR followship) it has characteristically exhibited. It's a comfy town, but most definitely second rate.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Funny, I heard several of the supporters of the bond mention that "it didn't fail because of its location". Well, I definitely think that played into it, how do they know why it failed? They exit poll with reasons?

And some judge (I think?) was claiming this was some sort of prejudice against the poor/minority people that would 'use' the courthouse the most? Really?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Prediction: new courthouse at Decker Lake (or whatever out of the way corner is ultimately chosen), plus parking lots and road improvements to said corner, plus old courthouse restoration, none of which is on the docket at this time, will cost more than what was narrowly defeated yesterday, if and when we ever DO get a new courthouse.
Meanwhile, Austin rolls on, miraculously, considering the lack of planning and leadership (OR followship) it has characteristically exhibited. It's a comfy town, but most definitely second rate.
The 'cost more' is including the sale of the proposed site to the public and the differential increase in tax revenues that are gathered by allowing that valuable property to be developed?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,922 times
Quote:
plus old courthouse restoration,
Come on, compare apples to apples.

Restoring the old courthouse is a given, in any plan (including this failed one).

1. They're not going to knock it down.
AND
2. They're not going to leave it empty and abandoned for the next 100 years.

So we're going to pay that price.

Quote:
plus ... road improvements to said corner
Why would you need road improvements? That's one of the biggest problems with that downtown location. A courthouse simply isn't a high-intensity usage. 12 floors and half a block. Much of which isn't even going to be used until the 2030s. That just isn't a very big building and isn't a whole lot of people.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I voted for it, so I did want it to pass. Regardless, I thought it wouldn't be under such a small margin, pass or fail. Hopefully the county and city can find another location Downtown that lowers the price tag. That as well as selling the current block to developers.
the location isnt what makes it expensive. It is expensive because they were building an opulent building.

The super fancy condo towers were less than 300/sq ft.

The proposed courthouse was $550/sq ft. Roughly double what other courthouses around the country cost.

I personally dont mind the downtown location, I do mind the county not being good stewards of my money.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
You really are being nonsensical.

No one is saying decker lake. Everyone is saying east austin, highland mall area or airport blvd.

all of which have plenty of infrastructure, have major roads in and out and would have plenty of free parking.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You really are being nonsensical.

No one is saying decker lake...
I believe that Tea-Party MO-ron on city council was suggesting it, although I admit, I don't take much he says seriously. But he represents some of us, apparently, because he's there.
Highland Mall works for me. I wouldn't mind if they put everything I ever needed there. Tres convenient. But have you checked with ACC and all the other stakeholders in the area? Does the county own enough land there? What about "East Austin," (as if IT didn't have enough crappy institutional buildings dumped onto it already...)

The point is, no one has planned squat. This was all another "drown government in the bathtub" ploy disguised by the "there's a BETTER place" argument, and we're...nowhere on the path to an adequate courthouse. Seen there, saw that.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Bulldoze Rundberg/Lamar - build a government campus in it's place. Condense the public housing in the area, so that our elected officials can witness the fruits of their labor on a daily basis.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,922 times
Quote:
The point is, no one has planned squat.
"no one has planned squat" because the fix was in on the design process. They never seriously looked at alternative locations. Why would they, they bought the block 5 years ago.

I'm not going to reward the county for an attempt to "run out the clock" and make it fait accompli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin