Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

After some TexasGunTalk folks noticed a new restaurant being built in SA with a familiar name, I contacted the home office about their 'return' to Frontier. Seems the more things change...

This was the rapid response I received from their Guest Relations contact:

"
Good Evening Mr. Norris,
Thank You for going to our website and letting us know how much you enjoy dining at Jim’s #30 in Austin. We love that you noticed that we are growing. We are getting ready to open up Frontier Burger at the corner of Crownhill Blvd and the 410 Frontage Rd. You are exactly right it is a throwback to Our Original Frontier Drive Inns but with a new name Frontier Burger. We as a Company are very excited about the New Member of Our Frontier Family and are working very hard to get Frontier Burger up and running as soon as possible. I have added your email address to Our Jim’s eClub so we will keep you updated about the opening. Thank You Mr. Norris for you patronage and your interest in our new building. We look forward to serving you at your favorite Jim’s and when you visit San Antonio we hope you will stop by Frontier Burger and give us a try! I have attached a picture for you to view so you have something to look forward to when you visit San Antonio. It’s going to be Great!
Thank you,
KCT

The story is a bit like Luby's, I reckon. Interesting to know some of the background on these 'classic' businesses.

Adios, Mr. Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
After some TexasGunTalk folks noticed a new restaurant being built in SA with a familiar name, I contacted the home office about their 'return' to Frontier. Seems the more things change...

This was the rapid response I received from their Guest Relations contact:

"Good Evening Mr. Norris, Thank You for going to our website and letting us know how much you enjoy dining at Jim’s #30 in Austin. We love that you noticed that we are growing. We are getting ready to open up Frontier Burger at the corner of Crownhill Blvd and the 410 Frontage Rd. You are exactly right it is a throwback to Our Original Frontier Drive Inns but with a new name Frontier Burger. We as a Company are very excited about the New Member of Our Frontier Family and are working very hard to get Frontier Burger up and running as soon as possible. I have added your email address to Our Jim’s eClub so we will keep you updated about the opening. Thank You Mr. Norris for you patronage and your interest in our new building. We look forward to serving you at your favorite Jim’s and when you visit San Antonio we hope you will stop by Frontier Burger and give us a try! I have attached a picture for you to view so you have something to look forward to when you visit San Antonio. It’s going to be Great!
Thank you, KCT

The story is a bit like Luby's, I reckon. Interesting to know some of the background on these 'classic' businesses.

Adios, Mr. Jim
Worthless without pics. Post the pic.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Worthless without pics. Post the pic.
Funny you should mention that...It was just a pic of their sign! I thought it was part of their 'letterhead' and I kept looking for a pic of the new restaurant!

Link to pic:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1&disp=safe&zw

Old 11-24-2015, 12:43 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Funny you should mention that...It was just a pic of their sign! I thought it was part of their 'letterhead' and I kept looking for a pic of the new restaurant!

Link to pic:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1&disp=safe&zw
Aw man. I thought is was a pic of the food.

hound <---- likes food p*rn.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Here is a pic of the new building that I took and shared in the San Antonio forum on 11/4/16.

Link to website: http://frontierburger.com/

Old 11-29-2015, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 6,677 times
Worst food I ever ate, very unhealthy, too! Enough salt, with every dish, to put up a whale. When I got here, in '78, it was an OK place to eat, sort of, but it went steadily downhill for whatever reasons might have been, and then the various locations started going out of business, as they deserved to. Perhaps the remaining locations have found great management/ownership, but the ones that closed were awful. My local Jim's was at 183 & I-35. It's now a funeral home. Some irony there, I'm sure.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGuy63 View Post
Worst food I ever ate, very unhealthy, too! Enough salt, with every dish, to put up a whale. When I got here, in '78, it was an OK place to eat, sort of, but it went steadily downhill for whatever reasons might have been, and then the various locations started going out of business, as they deserved to. Perhaps the remaining locations have found great management/ownership, but the ones that closed were awful. My local Jim's was at 183 & I-35. It's now a funeral home. Some irony there, I'm sure.
Interesting first post. 'Our' location is 183/Spicewood Springs(McNeil) and I have to say the food is pretty good for what it is. As far as I can tell, not a speck of salt in their eggs or grits. Most of their sides are appropriately seasoned, IMO. They usually have some 'real' sides as well as the usual casserole-type fare. I usually get the lunch special and have enjoyed their pot roast, meat loaf, baked chicken, various breakfast combos for about 5 years. I put the "chicken fried biscuit with extra gravy" behind me years ago!...but that option exists for those who want it!

I'd be tickled if they opened one close to Avery Ranch!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:10 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I am sorry that "Jim" died, but I don't really get the attraction of the restaurant. I have been to the Jim's at the Y maybe 5 times, as others invited me. But I would never suggest it. The food is very old fashioned, in that it is heavy on starch, rarely are there fresh vegetables, and those that do make an appearance are over cooked and mushy. Iceberg lettuce salads. It is not healthy eating, and to me, it is rather bland. It reminds me of the food my mom got when she lived in a senior living facility. I'm sure there are some good things, but I am not partial to chicken fried steak, so perhaps it just isn't my kind of place. Think of the contrast to Jack Allen's, which is just down the street. Yes, it is much more expensive, but their dishes have flavor and are fresh and creative.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am sorry that "Jim" died, but I don't really get the attraction of the restaurant. I have been to the Jim's at the Y maybe 5 times, as others invited me. But I would never suggest it. The food is very old fashioned, in that it is heavy on starch, rarely are there fresh vegetables, and those that do make an appearance are over cooked and mushy. Iceberg lettuce salads. It is not healthy eating, and to me, it is rather bland. It reminds me of the food my mom got when she lived in a senior living facility. I'm sure there are some good things, but I am not partial to chicken fried steak, so perhaps it just isn't my kind of place. Think of the contrast to Jack Allen's, which is just down the street. Yes, it is much more expensive, but their dishes have flavor and are fresh and creative.
Wow...Jack Allen's vs Jim's !!!

DW says Jim's chicken tortilla soup is as good as she has found in Austin! Considering it's half-price or less compared to many places, I'd say that's pretty good. Sure, Jim's could use some updating and you have to be a bit choosy with the menu items; but I'd go there before I'd go to Kerby Lane 9 times out of 10(Closer to 99 times out of 100 for us!)...and oddly enough, I've never been to Denny's in Austin(nor have I been to Waffle House in Austin and I come from the HOME of Waffle House).

I am told the south Austin Jim's is more like a truck stop compared to the more northern locations. I don't know since it would take more than food to get me to the Y

Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Its true that the comparison is not really fair (Jim's to Jack Allen's.) I'm not going to tell you that Kirby Lane is the best restaurant around, but it is way better than Jim's, in my opinion. At Kirby Lane, you can actually find fresh food, not mush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin