Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge about housing and safety near St Johns and the I35 right where the 183 meets up. I am new in town and found a great apartment but am not sure about the neighborhood. It appears that housing is increasing and apartments are being snatched up and renovated in this area. Is this an up and coming neighborhood? Or should I avoid it? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
If you have to ask, the answer is no. This neighborhood is not for you.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
If you have to ask, the answer is no. This neighborhood is not for you.
This right here.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 PM

176 posts, read 263,386 times
It's pretty safe. Property crimes are higher than some other areas, but violent crime is pretty low everywhere in Austin compared to other major metros.

You can find detailed info using this site:

http://www.raidsonline.com/

Old 12-07-2015, 12:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
It depends on what you are used to, how much street smarts you have, and what your habits are. Also, which side of I-35?

The Highland neighborhood on the west side of I35 is definitely up and coming, y'all wouldn't believe the prices that homes there are getting (above $350K), apartments can vary widely, there were some real trouble spots around there in years past but much better now. There will be day laborers hanging out at the gas station on both northwest and southwest corners of I35 and St. Johns, and lots of kids from Webb middle school walking to and from school. But I have had reason to be in that area for the past 14 years, I've never been hassled either in my car or as a pedestrian. I use those gas stations and in years past, the Burger King on the east side as well as the St. John's library and the nearby post office (both on the east side). There is very little violent crime any where in Austin. I would however expect my car be to rifled through for change if I left it unlocked over night. And I would be wary if I planned to return home at 2 am on a regular basis.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM

123 posts, read 120,745 times
It's not the greatest area, but for the proximity to downtown (and my work) I'd deal with it. That may or not be a factor for you though.

Also, we don't use "the" before highway names in Austin.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Check out some info on the st. Jphn's neighbborhood association. They have things for the community in a regular basis. The area is on its way up, but it will take time. There is a homeless population in the area as well, but I have not been bothered by them. A chunk of residents are here illegally, so if that kind of stuff bothers you it's not for you. Everything else in the thread is spot on. St. John's is what you make it and depends on your tolerance level.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
It all just depends on your background and street smarts, I've spent time in that area to include overnights and I never felt unsafe; definitely some "characters" around there and you would need to watch your property but that's about it and the same could be said for just about anywhere in the City of Austin proper. I also grew up in washington DC when it was the murder capital of the country, YMMV.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 PM

81 posts, read 114,186 times
I was about to start a post asking about this neighborhood, LOL. Found a duplex in my price range near St. John's/Duval St. (West of I35 but East of Lamar). I know it's not the greatest area in Austin but HOW bad is it really? There's no garage of secure parking, should I be concerned about my car getting broken into? It's zoned for Brown elementary and I have 3 kids elementary age, any insight on the school would be great.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
It is not that bad. Lock your car every night and you will be fine. Keep your kids bikes inside at night too. East of Lamar but south of 183 will put you in the Highland NA. I'll add a link to the neighborhood association web site tomorrow. You should talk to folks who live there. Home values have tripled in the past 10 years.

Traditionally Brown Elementary has been a high poverty school and you see that in the test scores and ranking but it has a strong principal and a good culture. There has been a big effort to revitalize nearby Ridgetop elementary with its dual language program. Lots of families transfer to it just for dual language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: