Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 AM

6 posts, read 25,852 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are moving to Austin in a few weeks, and I'm looking for homes that are close to downtown. I've done some reading, and the general consensus seems to be that living west of 35 is a safer bet. However, I've found a brand new home just east of 35 on MLK/Walnut Avenue that appears to be wonderful (based on pics of course), but I'm wondering what living in that "side of town" really means? Is it turning? Is it safe? Is there potential there for appreciation? What kind of conveniences are closeby? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Bes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,992,402 times
One of my friends bought on the eastside in an up-and-coming block. Her car was broken into the first 3 nights, there's hookers at the end of the street and a crack house down the block. She had beer bottles thrown at her house several times. A neighbor told her it was because she was gentrifying the neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,416,451 times
I totally agree with the above poster. It will be years and years until the eastside is totally revitalized Until then, you will have maybe someone great on one corner and then maybe a crack house on the other corner. To me, it's not worth it. Buy west of 35!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM

314 posts, read 1,227,088 times
If you have a garage with the home and no little kids, it might be worth the investment. One of my friends in Houston bought a town home in a similar type of area, three years later when the area was almost finished being developed she profited $300K. It is just a matter of what you are willing to put up with.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,175,226 times
We experienced the same thing in east Atlanta. We have lots of equity now cause we've been in the hood +10 years. I won't lie and see it was easy though. Now we have a kid, we're getting out. It got a LOT better in 10 years but it still has a ways to go.

Makes great INVESTMENT property.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,778 times
The areas with more "investment" properties are the areas that are more sketchy, thanks to uncaring landlords and Section 8. I've lived on the east side for 4 years. We've never had our cars broken in to (we DID in 78704/Travis Heights -- check crime stats) or buglaries or other criminal stuff directed our way.

We have lights around our house that come on at dark, we have dogs who are mostly inside, and we don't have a security system. We are active in the neighborhood, we know our neighbors and they know us. We walk our neighborhood every day. Yes we had hookers but we told them to move on (that's right!). I sat on my front porch and took photos of the cars picking up the ones who stayed around. They aren't here anymore. The criminal element is one that looks for the point of least resistance.

I am a Realtor and I can tell you that things are rapidly changing over here. I'm a native Austinite, have lived in every other part of town, and wouldn't live anywhere else. I have NEVER heard one bad thing about my being here from any of my neighbors or any other actual longtime resident, for that matter. My house is the same size as theirs and I keep my yard up. People over here want a good neighbor just like anyone else. They think crime sucks, like anyone else, except criminals.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,778 times
Default Investment Properties

And I wasn't addressing the poster above who mentioned Atlanta, unless of course the shoe fits, that is.

That's just the trend here. I'm all for affordable rentals if landlords care about who they are moving in and keep up with their properties.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:33 PM

233 posts, read 1,043,915 times
The funny thing is that the people who seem to have the strongest negative feelings about the Eastside are the people who never go there or if they do it is with windows rolled up and doors locked.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 PM

112 posts, read 483,545 times
Only good thing about East Austin is Juan in a Million

Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM

538 posts, read 1,731,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwherman512 View Post
Only good thing about East Austin is Juan in a Million
What's wrong with Hoover's and the Eastside Cafe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin