U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were recently in Austin for five days looking for a place to live. Due to our geriatric 10-year-old Doberman, we have been rejected at every turn. Does anyone have any suggestions?
We have owned our home for 18 years and it has been twenty years since we applied for a rental, so we did not realize that the large dog/liability problem had become so serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,715,196 times
Did you try Craigslist? If you are dealing with an individual owner, they may understand that an older large dog will actually do a lot less damage than a big puppy.

Other than that... yes, I can see how it could be a problem -- with the rental market as strong as it is in Austin, landlords can be more picky, and many will disqualify any pets. Most will disqualify large dogs.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 PM

thanks for the suggestion re: craigslist. i have been reading it lately looking for possible rentals.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM

2,349 posts, read 6,156,178 times
You might try looking at austin home search .com and using the lease feature. Most places will tell you if they take pets and if so how large. I know my next door neighbor is renting with a boxer so it can be done.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM

153 posts, read 427,823 times
I'd search for a duplex or house if you aren't already. I think chances with those accepting a dog would be better than an apartment, and it might be nice to have a yard.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM

135 posts, read 553,502 times
I have a boxer and currently rent a duplex. I found it on Austinhomesearch.com.

I think the problem you may run into is Dobermans are on the "aggressive breed list" with pit bulls and rotweilers.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,740,900 times
We have a dobie-lab mix and were shopping homeowners insurance once. The company we have currently said that they wouldn't give us a new policy because of him. We just call him a lab mix now.

Good luck in your search. I've seen a few places advertise that they'll take large dogs.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM

74,985 posts, read 35,714,574 times
I've rented in the past with a big lab mix dog. I was able to rent a home (twice) and pay and additional pet deposit.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 PM

718 posts, read 1,611,974 times
We started our rental agreement with 2 large labs. We actually rented through a property management company who found a house based on our requirements. We did have to put down a deposit of $300 for each dog (if I remember correctly), so it can be done!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Default doberman and renting in austin

thanks to everyone for your suggestions regarding our rental problem.

we have eliminated apartments as an option and have generally been turned away from renting duplexes because they assume that our dog is vicious. the really sad part about this is that our dog is gentle...we have children living all around us and i trained him for years to make sure that he is not food aggressive or the least bit nervous if kids hang on his neck. we are over 50 and extremely responsible but may be forced to buy a house if this keeps up. i don't want to be left here in florida dog-sitting while my husband is in austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin