Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:32 PM

8 posts, read 7,040 times

Advertisements

Guys,
First of all, thank you for spending your time reading this.
I'm moving to Austin in next October and I am very excited about that. Austin seems to be an excellent city to live in.
As an employed alien, I will make around 90k US Dollars a year and I am looking for the best place in Austin to settle down a couple. Furthermore, at the first beginning my wife is not going to have a job (she's going to study full time for her doctor's degree). I've already traveled to the US before and I am that kind of guy who likes not so quiet places, near downtown with good supermarkets (as wholefoods, Costco), fairs, venues and those kinds of stuff. In other words, I am more urban than rural.
Indeed, living in downtown isn't cheap even in countryside cities, so I would like to know what neighborhood do you guys recommend me? I'm looking for a 2-bed apartment/house for rent and I've already taken a look at craigslist and padmapper; however, it would be nice if I could have an opinion from a native perspective. Allandale, rollingwood or north shoal creek seem to be in the best places considering cost-benefit, am I right?

Thanks in Advance,
Allan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
austin uses apartment locators. They are free to you and can take your requirements and show you a variety of apartments.

Sites like rentrebate.net can help you with your search in advance.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Where's the job (use cross streets)? What's the rental budget?

"Allandale, rollingwood or north shoal creek seem to be in the best places considering cost-benefit, am I right?"

For renting?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Will your wife be going to UT? If so there is a shuttle bus system, just for students, that runs an express route from the Far West Blvd. area to UT. There are lots of apartments in that Far West Blvd area, its a little NW of Alandale on the West side of MoPac. There are quite a few older married students who live in that area.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 7,040 times
Austin97: Thank you for the hint! I am taking a look at the link you've sent me, right now!

hound 109:

The office is located on the border of the north burnet and north shoal creek
For renting? Yes, these places have a good cost-benefit proportion?
My rental budget is 1000 to 1600 USD (tops)

CptnRn
Yeah, she will be studying at UT. Thank you for the tip, I'm gonna take a look at the neighborhoods you've mentioned. Anyways, if it is located in Allandale it is already good!

Guys, sorry if I've made any awful English mistake and thank you again for being so nice! This is why America is the best country to live in the globe!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 PM

176 posts, read 350,643 times
Whatever you do, don't buy anything. Rent somewhere that's close to your work and then figure out over a year what you want to do after you've extensively checked the city out. There are way too many subjective factors to recommend "the" place without first hand experience.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:16 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
I agree about renting first. Glad I did that.

Personally, I'd look at other places like on Burnet and Riverside before Rollingwood or Allandale. (almost unattainable?)

Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Make an appointment with two different apartment locators. Their service is free.

Get a good apartment and rent for a year.

Within that year explore Austin, check out where you want to be and where you do not.

At that time buy a house.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_hkrs View Post
You will need to readdress this budget if you really want to live close in and have something nicer. The neighborhoods you've mentioned will not have rentals in this price point.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_hkrs View Post
hound 109: The office is located on the border of the north burnet and north shoal creek

For renting? Yes, these places have a good cost-benefit proportion?

CptnRn
Yeah, she will be studying at UT. Thank you for the tip, I'm gonna take a look at the neighborhoods you've mentioned. Anyways, if it is located in Allandale it is already good!

Guys, sorry if I've made any awful English mistake and thank you again for being so nice! This is why America is the best country to live in the globe!
You're English is great. (better than most of us natives )

Your office being located near Allandale/Burnet means you should look north of the river. CptnRn's advice was spot on. The Far West Area would be on the short list of places to look. (for the reasons he mentioned) It's not IN Allandale btw...just near it.

If your wife will be going to UT, getting bus service to UT will be an imperative. Far West will deliver that (& also be a short commute for you). Very good area that hit most of your data points.

And to All..... What about the areas around the UT Intramural Fields (Triangle)? Or even ON Burnet (near Allandale or Anderson). Could a 2/2 apartment be found in the $1600 range in that area? (I'm guessing UT/Metro buses run from these areas as well.)

Last edited by hound 109; 01-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: because I can't spell Allandale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin