Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times

Advertisements

I think a bridge would be a great idea to boost the economy of Lago Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedaymayoroflagovista View Post
I think a bridge would be a great idea to boost the economy of Lago Vista.
Not exactly a groundswell of support in the 18 months since this post was active. Wouldn't expect any different for the next 18...or the next...

Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRE View Post
It will happen. Austin area is exploding. Austin itself can't accomodate because of draconian California-esque governmental interference in development, so sprawl is the order of the day.
good luck with that. Austin has no incentive to do this and so will block it. People on the otherside dont have enough money to fight that battle.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
It will happen. Austin area is exploding. Austin itself can't accomodate because of draconian California-esque governmental interference in development, so sprawl is the order of the day.
Who is going to fund that? Austin basically has zero incentive, as well as zero control, over building (or not building) a bridge of Travis.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Who is going to fund that? Austin basically has zero incentive, as well as zero control, over building (or not building) a bridge of Travis.
More like a pipe dream desperate real estate agents try to sell to prospective buyers.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
It's pretty much inevitable that it will happen. The question is, when will it happen? That I don't know. It could be 10 years or it could be 50 years. It just depends on whether the level of economic and population growth in the area continues at the current pace.
I agree with that. A bridge is bound to be built across Lake Travis, eventually. My guess is within the next 30 to 60 years, as Austin continues to grow further west into the Hill Country. If they made it a toll bridge, that would save the tax payers a lot of money. It's bound to be a toll bridge that is heavily traveled and probably more than pay for itself pretty quick. I bet it won't be too many more decades until there's close to a million people living west of Ranch Road 620 between Texas Highway 71 and Highway 183.

I think it would be kinda nice to have a big majestic bridge across Lake Travis that becomes iconic to the Austin, kinda like the Loop 360 Bridge.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 PM

550 posts, read 497,630 times
OK...I'll play along.
Where does it get built?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM

150 posts, read 133,818 times
There is only one logical/feasible location. See attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	Travis Bridge.png
Views:	717
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	204758

Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,074 times
So ... what would be the benefit of spending so much money? Lessening the time to travel from a set of strip malls on one side of the lake to the same thing on the other? Or connecting people in subdivisions who otherwise would not know each other?

I agree that there are many other projects worth spending money on. Plus, I don't see the value in trying to turn the LT area into another city.

I don't live in the area, so I'm just giving an outside opinion. However, this is something that would make me less likely to want to live there in the future. Way back, I used to ride my bike out there and the relative isolation was part of the attraction.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
So ... what would be the benefit of spending so much money? Lessening the time to travel from a set of strip malls on one side of the lake to the same thing on the other? Or connecting people in subdivisions who otherwise would not know each other?

I agree that there are many other projects worth spending money on. Plus, I don't see the value in trying to turn the LT area into another city.

I don't live in the area, so I'm just giving an outside opinion. However, this is something that would make me less likely to want to live there in the future. Way back, I used to ride my bike out there and the relative isolation was part of the attraction.
I think it is obviously the attraction of living on the cheap side of the lake while being able to commute downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin