U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 AM

1,122 posts, read 862,221 times

Advertisements

So ... what would be the benefit of spending so much money? Lessening the time to travel from a set of strip malls on one side of the lake to the same thing on the other? Or connecting people in subdivisions who otherwise would not know each other?

I agree that there are many other projects worth spending money on. Plus, I don't see the value in trying to turn the LT area into another city.

I don't live in the area, so I'm just giving an outside opinion. However, this is something that would make me less likely to want to live there in the future. Way back, I used to ride my bike out there and the relative isolation was part of the attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM

6,043 posts, read 11,027,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
So ... what would be the benefit of spending so much money? Lessening the time to travel from a set of strip malls on one side of the lake to the same thing on the other? Or connecting people in subdivisions who otherwise would not know each other?

I agree that there are many other projects worth spending money on. Plus, I don't see the value in trying to turn the LT area into another city.

I don't live in the area, so I'm just giving an outside opinion. However, this is something that would make me less likely to want to live there in the future. Way back, I used to ride my bike out there and the relative isolation was part of the attraction.
I think it is obviously the attraction of living on the cheap side of the lake while being able to commute downtown.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM

12,152 posts, read 27,843,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think it is obviously the attraction of living on the cheap side of the lake while being able to commute downtown.
...at which point it would no longer be 'cheap', I suppose.

I really don't think there is going to be a huge amount of support for this. The population that historically has lived north rather likes their isolation. As new people move in, some will also like the isolation, while others will support more connection, I suppose. However, the area is growing so slowly (in a large part due to isolation), that I don't see any huge amount of grass roots support appearing in the foreseeable future.

The developers, of course, would love to have a bridge built that would increase the property values. The idea being that the population at large would pay for a bridge that would only benefit them and a few others.....

Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 4,748 times
Yes, same reason any suburb is connected to the employment center.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...at which point it would no longer be 'cheap', I suppose.

I really don't think there is going to be a huge amount of support for this. The population that historically has lived north rather likes their isolation. As new people move in, some will also like the isolation, while others will support more connection, I suppose. However, the area is growing so slowly (in a large part due to isolation), that I don't see any huge amount of grass roots support appearing in the foreseeable future.

The developers, of course, would love to have a bridge built that would increase the property values. The idea being that the population at large would pay for a bridge that would only benefit them and a few others.....
It's not an evil plot by developers. It's simple necessity. Austin has rather extreme development restrictions for one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The result? Massive urban sprawl. Which, ironically, you would think that Austin would be against given its political leanings.

Now, I will agree that there is still plenty of more low hanging fruit to the north, south, and even east. The geographic challenges make west the last option. You're right about that part. However, at the rate we're going, it will have to be developed nonetheless. And there are factors that make it desirable for residents, like the lake and the hills--pretty much the same factors that make it a challenge from a development standpoint.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,437,226 times
This so funny, it's laughable. You think those folks that live on the east side of your proposed bridge would ever go for it? You think maybe those folks have some political pull?

This is a developers wet dream.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM

12,152 posts, read 27,843,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRE View Post
It's not an evil plot by developers. It's simple necessity. Austin has rather extreme development restrictions for one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The result? Massive urban sprawl. Which, ironically, you would think that Austin would be against given its political leanings.

Now, I will agree that there is still plenty of more low hanging fruit to the north, south, and even east. The geographic challenges make west the last option. You're right about that part. However, at the rate we're going, it will have to be developed nonetheless. And there are factors that make it desirable for residents, like the lake and the hills--pretty much the same factors that make it a challenge from a development standpoint.
Not claiming it is 'evil', but it is not a good deal for most of the people that would (indirectly) end up funding such an endeavor. A more reasonable approach is for people that want to live there is to find/create jobs that are closer. If, at some point in the future, there is a very large population living on the north/east side of the lake and it is necessary to get them to downtown (as currently identified), then a bridge might be in the works. I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe in 50 years? Sure, maybe. But so many other things can change in 50 years that it is quite possible that it won't be needed at all.

In the near- to middling-future, the only advantage for such a bridge would be the current property owners, which is a very small number of people. Many of which are opposed to the proposal.

Edit:
Caveat - if it turns out that Paxton or Abbott or whoever owns a large bit of land up there......well, things might happen....

Old 11-14-2018, 05:24 PM

Hutto's population was 1200 in 2000.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 PM

7,881 posts, read 12,947,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRE View Post
Hutto's population was 1200 in 2000.

Don't need a bridge to get from Hutto to Austin(at least not a long one )

Petrol was 19 cents a gallon when I was in high school. What's your point?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 PM

My point is that things change, sometimes very rapidly and in ways that the shortsighted can't envision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or