Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM

74 posts, read 70,771 times

Advertisements

Just looking at the link above for UT, if my daughter was to attend it would cost approx 9000 dollars per year. If she lived at home in Austin.
Or am I missing something because that's quite cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil73 View Post
Just looking at the link above for UT, if my daughter was to attend it would cost approx 9000 dollars per year. If she lived at home in Austin.
Or am I missing something because that's quite cheap.
Yes, state schools are relatively cheap. She would have to establish residency, but it sounds like she will be here for a year prior to starting college, so I *think* that is all you need.

The other issue will be getting accepted into UT - it is in quite high demand:
Quote:
Texas law offers eligible freshman applicants automatic admission to public colleges and universities. The initial legislation, passed into law in 1997, offered automatic admission to eligible students in the top 10 percent of their high school class.

In 2009, the law was modified for The University of Texas at Austin. Under the new law, the university must automatically admit enough students to fill 75 percent of available Texas resident spaces. Each fall, the university notifies Texas school officials of the class rank that current high school juniors need to attain by the end of their junior year in order to be automatically admitted.

Summer/Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 applicants: Top 7%
Summer/Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 applicants: Top 7%
Summer/Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 applicants: Top 8%
Summer/Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 applicants: Top 7%

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board establishes the rules that govern which students are eligible for automatic admission.

Even applications from students who are automatically admissible are subject to holistic review to determine the major to which the applicant will be admitted.
So, do well in HS compared to your (local) peers, and you get in automatically. I don't know how this would apply to a student only in school one year in the state, though. Would take some research, although it is not that difficult to get an admissions person on the phone (at least in my experience).

Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,017,770 times
the automatic rank acceptance applies to public schools only. Private school students are ineligible for admittance under that rule

My oldest sister was brought to austin from germany in the 1980s to finish off her last year of high school. She then completed one year at UT and returned to germany to go to school there. She wanted to return to europe so it made sense.

Dont know differences in testing requirements and the 80s was a different time. But, socially and emotionally it didnt hurt her. She went to Austin High School. You can argue its a creative learn abroad experience that many kids do in high school anyway

Old 02-09-2016, 02:44 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
I went to UT in the 80s, it cost me just under $100/semester .

Old 02-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Hi Just a follow up question regarding Education.

I have been emailing a Lady who deals with education in Austin and she is kindly looking at my daughters UK education to see if she needs to goto High School for a year or straight to college. If she is ok with college and from what i understand you have to pay for your college education in the US, how would the payment of the fees work?

For instance in the UK she will pick the degree she wants to study and it will cost 7k a year, these costs will be paid for as a student loan which is provided by the goverment. It will then be recovered when she starts work and is earning over a certain threshold, and will be paid back as a percentage each month.

How do students in the US finance there college/ uni education? (She wont get a scholarship)

Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
You would need to find out if she qualifies for federal student loans, then there are parent loans too. But again, citizenship/residency may be required.

Look here: https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotw15a.htm for "eligible non-citizen requirements"

Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Boy oh boy, I hate the idea of getting a four-year degree entangled in loan debt exceeding $50,000 (I realize many are much more than that!)

What living arrangements might work for her if she stays back home?

Has she actually chosen a career path? (I know I got out of accounting as soon as I found out the FBI physical was NOT one I could pass with residuals from polio). Stayed in the Business School, but really had no idea that my marketing major/management minor degree would prove useful(or not) when I got out. Little did I know that managing a tennis shop while in college would turn into a 30-year long "career" as a tennis bum.

Computers were in their relative infancy(college classes in FORTRAN. COBOL); so IT wasn't the near-automatic path it has become for so many in the last two decades. IF I had known then....

Guess I'm just saying it's tough enough to enter college with a plan...even without tossing in a potential move of 5000 miles. Never mind dropping in on a university with 50,000+ folks!

Best of luck to you and the young lady.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks I think!
A university education isn't free or as cheap either in the UK so no point in leaving her in the UK

Old 02-25-2016, 04:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil73 View Post
Thanks I think!
A university education isn't free or as cheap either in the UK so no point in leaving her in the UK
I just thought there might be a family connection there that would facilitate her staying to finish whatever grade she is actually in... and/or go to a familiar university with which she may have already made contacts. On the other hand, there is no rule that she must hit the university bricks as soon as she finishes "high school". Kids have been known to take a year to work or travel or 'find themselves' before committing to post high school education. Some even choose military avenues to gain maturity, discipline and direction.

Again, best of luck!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I just thought there might be a family connection there that would facilitate her staying to finish whatever grade she is actually in... and/or go to a familiar university with which she may have already made contacts. On the other hand, there is no rule that she must hit the university bricks as soon as she finishes "high school". Kids have been known to take a year to work or travel or 'find themselves' before committing to post high school education. Some even choose military avenues to gain maturity, discipline and direction.

Again, best of luck!
No worries.

To be honest i am kinda hoping they will say she has to attend High school for a year. She has no idea what she wants to do, so it pointless going straight to college/uni. either that or a year out maybe working, but again not sure how that works, as we will becoming over on my VISA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin