Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Gun control is a whole 'nuther topic, and there is a long, fairly informative thread in the main Texas forum that covers state gun laws. Typically, I don't think there are very many city laws (if any) they go further than state law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Gotta love it, Austin has wayyy less crime then Atlanta; anyday. Great to see that your looking @ Austin to raise your family. Wise choice.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
So anyone can get a gun instantly?
I don't know what the process to purchase a gun is - but I know from a RR police officer just last week... that anyone can have/carry a gun. There is no license or registration. You cannot conceal it, however, without a license (CHL). So, if you are stopped with a gun, you have to announce you have one, or not keep it in your glovebox, etc.

Long involved story about why I know all this - but was helping a friend deal with her crazy brother in law, who had a gun, the police didn't want him to have it, and I didn't want to get in trouble holding a gun in our car, because neither of us had a license. Turns out we didn't need one.....

Last edited by jwb123; 02-12-2008 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Here is some clarity on the question...

http://nraila.org/statelawpdfs/TXSL.pdf (broken link)

No permit, licensing or registration needed. You do need a "permit to carry" a handgun only (not a rifle or shotgun).

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM

147 posts, read 695,676 times
Now Rose, there are many fine things to shoot at that are not living or edible!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
You made me have to think about that for a while! Yes, you're right about that.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
So anyone can get a gun instantly?
No, at least not legally. This is not Clint Eastwood

They will have to get your ID and run a check on you. If your a past criminal or felony and trying to get one legally; best just to hang it up.

All - you will be amazed on how many people actually carry loaded guns legally. So many Texans out here that does have a CHG licenses. Including me (probabtion officer) . I am glad that their is. The one's biased towards it, just maybe one day your getting attacked and that other fellow Texas comes running to help you with a load gun in there hand to save you.

Not everyone can get CHG licenses either. CHG licenses does a really strict back-ground check and your checked by the FBI / registered.

Police officers are wonderful to me when I expose my CHG licenses to them (minus my badge).

If you get a DUI and have a CHG licenses... you do not know whats going to happen. It's bad news.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 PM

62 posts, read 162,513 times
These stats are wonderful if you ask me. Looking forward to leaving St. Louis and moving to a SAFE city. I am amazed that some people say Austin is a bad place based on these stats. Look how many were murdered by people they KNEW! These are NOT random acts of violence. Come to St. Louis.... you might get killed for your shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin