Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,411 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm getting ready to build a custom home in Grand Mesa at Crystal Falls. I've talked to a couple of builders and the one I think I really want builds at the very top of my price range. Plus his average build time is 9-12 months. I've not factored him out completely but met today with a team from Wilde Wood Construction. I've seen several of their homes and have been impressed with everything I've seen and heard so far.

I like their approach and for a large company who does custom, I was happy to hear I don't have to pick from a template floor plan or use the finishes and fixtures from their showrooms like other "custom" builders in the area. They quote a finish time of 190 days after ground break. (I know plan longer but that's still way shorter than 9 months and a lot less money on a construction loan at a higher interest rate plus my current rent)

I still have more checking to do but I know when I ask for references they'll give me people who are happy with their experience. I was hoping someone here had knowledge of them or a non-biased opinion? I can't seem to find anything out there on the web which I guess could be good and bad. At least there aren't any "I hate Wilde Wood" websites.

So far I crossed Klaer off my list, Vogel is my first choice but $$, and I thought I might talk also to Drees but expect I won't have freedom for finishes and fixtures that I have with others. I'm a little concerned about the big firms but you pay a premium with the smaller guys that I'm just not sure I want to spend the cash for.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 37,515 times
Did you consider Scott Felder, they have some good properties in crystal falls. I am not buying but visited them recently and liked their design.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 AM

Thanks. I agree Scott Felder is beautiful and I considered buying there but between cost and the fact they didn't have any green belt lots (which my heart was set on), I ended up purchasing 2 acres in Grand Mesa. I need to build on my own lot which Felder doesn't do. I priced a a 3200 sq foot from Felder and one from Drees in Cap Rock. The one from Felder (after upgrades) was going to cost me as much as I'll spend all in land and same size custom home in Grand Mesa. I understand this choice wouldn't be for everyone but it was ideal for me because I can't see my neighbors and have my own greenbelt.

I couldn't believe that the Drees in Cap Rock was out of my price range. The lot premium for a green belt was 80% of what I paid for my land. Again, I know a lot of people don't want to go through the hassle but for me the extra space and privacy was worth it.

I appreciate your feedback and am surprised I haven't had any other replies.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Seems Wilde Wood is a relatively new player and has built a fairly small number of homes. If folks are satisfied with the process and end product, they may be less likely to hang around on C-D. We are not in that market(although we were in a Drees in Avery Ranch) and I had never heard of WildeWood until your post. Seems the founder followed a path that logically brought him to his current state(highly regarded by ABJ for one) and I hope the company continues to produce a quality product(from all accounts I've read, that seems to be the case; however, I haven't seen any recent info on them).

Best of luck!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks 10scoachrick. So far everything is checking out process and product wise. They seem to be about the most custom of the large builders. Many are "custom" as long as you pick from their floor plan templates and their design center, Wilde Wood is different. I'm just trying to get as much as I possibly can about people's experience down the line where are they years later, did they have warranty issues, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin