Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM

743 posts, read 1,359,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
I'm guessing that there are more like 15-20 slots taken by siblings and staff. I'm sensing that your frustration is that they never indicated that there wasn't a fit during the process. That's understandable but don't take it personally. If you aren't too bitter about the school at this point, it may be worth applying next year for first grade. There is a decent amount of turnover at that school.
Agree.

I know a family whose child got turned down and it ended up being the best thing that happened to them because their local public school ended up being the perfect place for their child. They started with private school bias and didn't even want to consider public, but it ended up being one of those "things happen for a reason" scenarios that turned into a huge blessing. Looking back, the parents realize their kid would NOT have fit in at Trinity, but it was hard to understand that when he was 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,638,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
There's no way they'd give a reason that could be turned against them in a lawsuit. Much easier to just say "no".

It's kindergarten. Your child will be perfectly OK - things happen for a reason.
Yep, it all goes back to liability. Companies don't provide an explanation for rejection for the same reason. It is what it is. I'd move on.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,941,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
More than politics, any hint of being a high-maintenance parent can find you farther down the list. But more applicants than spots is the simplest explanation.
This. Generally, when a parent "reaches out" after a rejection, it only confirms that the right admissions decision was made.

OP, they kept you involved throughout the process which indicates your child was given a fair evaluation. If they'd rejected him/her immediately, you'd be here complaining that your child wasn't given a fair chance.

Austin private schools are competitive -- some grades particularly so. This can come as a surprise to transplants who expect things here to be easier.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You are overreacting...
That was my initial impression. Good grief. Both of my kids attended private school. The first didn't get off the wait list until mid-1st grade. The spots are limited at most of the good private schools. It's tough and frustrating for those not getting in, especially when turned down instead of wait listed.

But complaining publicly that the rejection wasn't worded right, or as well as the other rejection letter received, seems to validate the decision. I mean, come on.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,449,865 times
Gotta agree with Carnival and Steve. OP, had your child been accepted you wouldn't have given the school's admission process a second thought. But for whatever reason it didn't work out in your favor, and now you're crying foul to a bunch of strangers over it. Life is sticky. Things don't always work out exactly as planned. Think of how much money you just saved by discovering so early in the game that you don't like how things are run there. Take your lumps and move on. Austin has lots of great schools, both private and public. Don't buy into the hype that your child's future will be ruined if they don't get into an advanced placement coloring program. It'll all work out OK.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
More than politics, any hint of being a high-maintenance parent can find you farther down the list. But more applicants than spots is the simplest explanation.
Bingo.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM

230 posts, read 541,898 times
What is wrong with Eanes?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,884,547 times
I agree that there are so few spots and that is the overarching reason why kids don't get in. But to the question about why this is a big deal in kinder, it's not that kinder is such a big deal in itself, it's that you need to get in at the kinder level because that is an entry year and there are even fewer spots after that. However, every year there are departures for various reasons so spots do open up

Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson78641 View Post
What is wrong with Eanes?
We put ours into Westlake High after Private through 8th. In retrospect, I wouldn't go so far as to say we regret it, or that it was a waste of money - we don't and it wasn't - but I don't think our kids would have been set back or really missed out on anything had we gone K-12 at Eanes. Their experiences would have been different but not necessarily worse.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM

230 posts, read 541,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
We put ours into Westlake High after Private through 8th. In retrospect, I wouldn't go so far as to say we regret it, or that it was a waste of money - we don't and it wasn't - but I don't think our kids would have been set back or really missed out on anything had we gone K-12 at Eanes. Their experiences would have been different but not necessarily worse.
I started in 3rd grade at Valley View the first year it opened. If I could afford to live in Eanes now my child would go there now. The main reason we moved to Leander was to be in Leander ISD. I went to a private school in Dallas until 2nd grade mainly to make my Mother happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin