Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 PM

156 posts, read 317,787 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm sorry I need to start another thread because I need quick advice.

We went down to Austin today and visited 3 different communities:

Highland Park in Pflugerville: I really like the house there, big lot 70 x 130, huge, front stone elevation, all upgrades and the price is below $270k for 2040 sf, around the area is not that great, it's ok for the price but it's convenient to Home Depot, shopping center, school is 7 out of 10. I like it because it's affordable for us, close to the highway.

Went to Avery Ranch but have to cross of our list because the lot is only 45 x 120, super small lot, 1700 sf is $308K by Dr Horton.

Hazewood in Leander: we loved the house, 1940 sf, material they used better quality than Highland Park, same builder Dr Horton. I love the lot 60x120 right corner lot and already have big trees at the corner lot. $285K. Love it but it's kinda far from downtown Austin.

Somerville in Roundrock: Please provide your thoughts about this community since I'm unable to find it in the forum. I heard Roundrock has very great school but when I searched on greatschool website, the school is 3 out of 10. Neysa Callison Elementary. The price is below $280k for 2100sf.

So out of 3 Highland Park, Hazewood and Somerville, where would you choose if you work in downtown austin and you have a toddler?

I looked at the Crimes Raids about these 3 communities and they're very good, no crimes.

I'm so sad with the price because on Monday when I called the price was ok, today we came down and they raised $$5-7,000 on all of the houses for all of the communities.

all of the three, I love the Hazewood floor plan, elevation, lot, it's just that's kinda too far. If I'm a stay home mother I might sign the contract right away.

Thank you all for your valuable time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I believe you are speaking of Hazelwood on Ronald Reagan(734) a couple of miles north of 1431. Some friends built there a couple of years ago; but split and moved away. They caught a couple of items that were significant during the build(as in the "forgotten" two-foot extension to the garage!!!) and the finishes were obviously not like the Drees home they moved from(about half the price, too!). The original sections of Hazelwood have 'grown in' a bit while the newest section is just that...new.

That neighborhood is a bit landlocked for my taste...you pretty much MUST use Ronald Reagan to go anywhere. Going from 0-65mph right out of the driveway...or get squooshed by some big rig

Also, not a huge deal; but Hazelwood is along a stretch of highway that quickly goes through Austin, Cedar Park, Leander and Georgetown...with Round Rock just off to the side. You likely will do much more shopping and 'living' in Cedar Park vs Leander proper. Can get a bit confusing up there.

I would not want to make the trip downtown very often during rush hour. We are four miles closer in and I wouldn't want to do it from HERE, either.

Sorry about the last phase of Avery Ranch homes...As I've said before, DRHorton is still building $250K homes...but they are selling for $375K

Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My thoughts is that yall should rent since you don't know the area well at all. It's hard to make such a major life decision based on a single visit and the internet. Whether the price point is small or large, you are going to commit a LOT of money.

My thoughts on your DR Horton selections for Round Rock and Pflugerville -

Highland Park - actually the area surrounding it is better than Somerville. It has better schools (though they aren't nearly the best of PISD. if they were you'd pay more) and is near a very nice shopping center. You are essentially 2-5 minutes away from a state of the art gym, a movie theatre, bowling/entertainment center, big box, restaurants. I'm pretty certain that is why Horton is offering lower quality materials yet not much difference in price than the others. Crime is low. It is a starter neighborhood, nothing more, nothing less. Repetitive floorplans to the worst degree.

Somerville - While RRISD does have a good reputation, you have to examine the individual schools. Not all RRISD schools are good. Those schools (elementary and middle) are easily some of the worst of RRISD and have historically been the poorest performing schools within the district. Quite frankly (and unfortunately) that is due to the lower socioeconomic primarily renter demographic that lives in the area surrounding Somerville. Across Louis Henna there is a income restricted (read: Section 8) housing complex and not far from Somerville is another lower income housing development (Monteluna). Somerville residents also pay higher wastewater fees for some reason, I guess because the city had to do something special to provide water/wastewater to that subdivision. I don't know. As a starter investment, I'd probably pick Highland Park over this one.

Leander - Coach Rick summed things up best since he really knows that area. From what I've seen online, the schools are on par with Highland Park, though Rouse is definitely on the upswing. The best of LISD is really found in Austin and Cedar Park.

Since you can afford $285k, maybe it would be better to maybe move down, obtain temporary housing, and then maybe go househunting and look for resales? Resales can maybe find you in neighborhoods that have better schoools/more amenities, etc. The downside is that the houses aren't new. At $285k, you'd find better value than the DR Horton offerings.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM

363 posts, read 988,451 times
Try to leave Somerville during rush hour along Louis Henna Blvd and you will cuss every day. That alone is worth scratching that neighborhood off the list. I think Highland Park has the most upside, but I'm biased as I live in Highland Park North. Close shopping of all kinds, less money per square foot, and the city is about to break ground on a 105 acre park that borders the Highland Park area and a second park in between Highland Park and the neighboring apartment buildings. I don't know about the schools as my kids are either in charter school or home schooled, but from what I have learned from my neighbors is I would not have an issue with the area schools when I compare them to the craphole that was Round Rock HS when my oldest child went there around 2010-2011ish.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I believe you are speaking of Hazelwood on Ronald Reagan(734) a couple of miles north of 1431. Some friends built there a couple of years ago; but split and moved away. They caught a couple of items that were significant during the build(as in the "forgotten" two-foot extension to the garage!!!) and the finishes were obviously not like the Drees home they moved from(about half the price, too!). The original sections of Hazelwood have 'grown in' a bit while the newest section is just that...new.

That neighborhood is a bit landlocked for my taste...you pretty much MUST use Ronald Reagan to go anywhere. Going from 0-65mph right out of the driveway...or get squooshed by some big rig

Also, not a huge deal; but Hazelwood is along a stretch of highway that quickly goes through Austin, Cedar Park, Leander and Georgetown...with Round Rock just off to the side. You likely will do much more shopping and 'living' in Cedar Park vs Leander proper. Can get a bit confusing up there.

I would not want to make the trip downtown very often during rush hour. We are four miles closer in and I wouldn't want to do it from HERE, either.

Sorry about the last phase of Avery Ranch homes...As I've said before, DRHorton is still building $250K homes...but they are selling for $375K
Thank you 10scoachrick! I will cross out Hazewood off my list, you are right. It is too far from downtown Austin and there's nothing around it.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My thoughts is that yall should rent since you don't know the area well at all. It's hard to make such a major life decision based on a single visit and the internet. Whether the price point is small or large, you are going to commit a LOT of money.

My thoughts on your DR Horton selections for Round Rock and Pflugerville -

Highland Park - actually the area surrounding it is better than Somerville. It has better schools (though they aren't nearly the best of PISD. if they were you'd pay more) and is near a very nice shopping center. You are essentially 2-5 minutes away from a state of the art gym, a movie theatre, bowling/entertainment center, big box, restaurants. I'm pretty certain that is why Horton is offering lower quality materials yet not much difference in price than the others. Crime is low. It is a starter neighborhood, nothing more, nothing less. Repetitive floorplans to the worst degree.

Somerville - While RRISD does have a good reputation, you have to examine the individual schools. Not all RRISD schools are good. Those schools (elementary and middle) are easily some of the worst of RRISD and have historically been the poorest performing schools within the district. Quite frankly (and unfortunately) that is due to the lower socioeconomic primarily renter demographic that lives in the area surrounding Somerville. Across Louis Henna there is a income restricted (read: Section 8) housing complex and not far from Somerville is another lower income housing development (Monteluna). Somerville residents also pay higher wastewater fees for some reason, I guess because the city had to do something special to provide water/wastewater to that subdivision. I don't know. As a starter investment, I'd probably pick Highland Park over this one.

Leander - Coach Rick summed things up best since he really knows that area. From what I've seen online, the schools are on par with Highland Park, though Rouse is definitely on the upswing. The best of LISD is really found in Austin and Cedar Park.

Since you can afford $285k, maybe it would be better to maybe move down, obtain temporary housing, and then maybe go househunting and look for resales? Resales can maybe find you in neighborhoods that have better schoools/more amenities, etc. The downside is that the houses aren't new. At $285k, you'd find better value than the DR Horton offerings.
Thank you riaelise very much! I like Highland Park subsidivision a lot, since it is affordable and have potential growth. I appreciated for your inputs about Somerville! You are right about Somerville area. I will cross it off my list too. Now I have only Highland Park as an option.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
Try to leave Somerville during rush hour along Louis Henna Blvd and you will cuss every day. That alone is worth scratching that neighborhood off the list. I think Highland Park has the most upside, but I'm biased as I live in Highland Park North. Close shopping of all kinds, less money per square foot, and the city is about to break ground on a 105 acre park that borders the Highland Park area and a second park in between Highland Park and the neighboring apartment buildings. I don't know about the schools as my kids are either in charter school or home schooled, but from what I have learned from my neighbors is I would not have an issue with the area schools when I compare them to the craphole that was Round Rock HS when my oldest child went there around 2010-2011ish.
Hi phone man: Thank you very much for your inputs! May I ask where is Highland Park North at? How far is it from the current model home? on the same street of the model home, we drove out to the shopping center and we noticed there were many small homes, honestly those homes are very tiny and cheap looking. But over all I like the area because it looks like Dr Horton put a lot of trees on the street. I like lot of trees. Also you are right about the park, they are putting a large park there soon. I heard it's going to be 6 millions project. Hopefully the house will appreciate more after that!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
you should also check out the new homes in Falcon Pointe, Blackhawk, Avalon, Reserve at Westcreek in Pflugerville. There are homes available for low 200s (they will be small garden style, but the schools are some of the best in the district (particularly the elementary and middle schools) and close to the shopping. Size and finish are probably going to be par for the course at the lower prices.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
you should also check out the new homes in Falcon Pointe, Blackhawk, Avalon, Reserve at Westcreek in Pflugerville. There are homes available for low 200s (they will be small garden style, but the schools are some of the best in the district (particularly the elementary and middle schools) and close to the shopping. Size and finish are probably going to be par for the course at the lower prices.
Thank you, riaelise! Do you know who's the builder in Blackhawk and Falcon Pointe for low 200s? I checked Lennar but I dont like their floor plan, especially their ceiling height is 9ft, I think it's really low . I like it at least 10ft ceiling height.

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:13 PM

363 posts, read 988,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies105 View Post
Hi phone man: Thank you very much for your inputs! May I ask where is Highland Park North at? How far is it from the current model home? on the same street of the model home, we drove out to the shopping center and we noticed there were many small homes, honestly those homes are very tiny and cheap looking. But over all I like the area because it looks like Dr Horton put a lot of trees on the street. I like lot of trees. Also you are right about the park, they are putting a large park there soon. I heard it's going to be 6 millions project. Hopefully the house will appreciate more after that!
The model home is at Mammoth Cave and Kingston Lacy Dr. If you follow Kingston Lacy north towards Heatherwilde it turns in to Highland Park North. A little bit older, but bigger lots and homes. My house was built in 2006 and my lot is 10K sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin