Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM

53 posts, read 174,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I have been looking into moving to Round Rock. We're from Minnesota and we can't stand the cold anymore 5 days of being stuck inside is about all I can handle, and short summers are depressing, so we've been doing some reasearch south and ran across Round Rock... We also have two kids.
I have some questions and it would be so great of anyone to answere them for us!!
1) How friendly are the people there including kids. How about the age range with everyone too?
2) I've read some stuff on the schools there... I've read some things about which not to attend... why are those so bad? and which ones are the best ones there?
4) Are there any crimes or drugs in the area?
3) Jobs... I'm a graphic designer and my husband is in sales for construction are those hard jobs to find?
4) Hows the weather there (all year)? Is there a certain time of the year it gets really bad, and what happens??? ohhh and snow...please tell me theres NO snow there!!!!!!! he-he

Thank so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
People are friendly. Schools are good. I think you'll hear that the Austin schools aren't as good as some of the outer lying school districts like Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis and most especially Eanes. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find everyone raving about Eanes.

East Austin is a little sketchy. It's up and coming though. Seems to me that generally Austin is safe. Of course I live in downtown Atlanta, anything is safer to me!

I'm a graphics/web designer myself. Austin is a big advertising town. It remains to be seen how easy/hard it is to get a job. I'm planning on starting my search next month. Construction sales should be pretty easy, there's a lot of growth in Austin.

As for weather, can't speak to that yet since we haven't moved yet!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM

153 posts, read 620,864 times
We don't get "real" snow here, more like a slushy, sleeting, ice over about once every year, or every few years. The city literally shuts down when this happen because we are not very equipt to handle it.
It is actually pretty funny to hear the news...you'd think a natural disaster was coming..."We interupt this broadcast to bring you breaking news. Winterstorm 2008 is headed our way"!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

53 posts, read 174,950 times
Default Winter WARNING!! hahahaha

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-

Thats so funny!!!

It takes 6-8" of snow for our schools to close...all the back roads are icy right now, and the school wouldn't close a few weeks ago when the temp was -45 (windchill) with 30mile an hour winds....those are days you don't smile your teeth WILL break... now feel my pain on wanting to get out of here!!!!
One day a year I could handle that... I was looking at the newspaper too in Round Rock and they made artifical snow for a grand opening... it looked like whip cream!!!
That was cute!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM

63 posts, read 244,118 times
People are friendly. Schools are good. I think you'll hear that the Austin schools aren't as good as some of the outer lying school districts like Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis and most especially Eanes. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find everyone raving about Eanes.

East Austin is a little sketchy. It's up and coming though. Seems to me that generally Austin is safe. Of course I live in downtown Atlanta, anything is safer to me!

I'm a graphics/web designer myself. Austin is a big advertising town. It remains to be seen how easy/hard it is to get a job. I'm planning on starting my search next month. Construction sales should be pretty easy, there's a lot of growth in Austin.

Is Leander school district good? We are going to visit Austin in the end of Feb. and only get to spend 3 days over there. I am hoping that I can tackle the areas well enough for us to move in May. I heard good things about Round Rock and Eanes (people love this one!!!) However, with our price range 500K, we cannot get much out of Eanes housing. I am not totally exclude Eanes, but want to have more options. Thanks!!!

As for weather, can't speak to that yet since we haven't moved yet! [/quote]

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
People are friendly, schools are good (but getting crowded), traffic is bad (but relative) and no snow. But it DOES get HOT! 100 degrees with 100% humidity for days. Be prepared, after all nothing is perfect!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Coming from Minn. you will find it humid here in the summer. I moved here from Florida and found it less humid. Humidity here runs about 50-60% in the summer (normal hot day with no rain). It also feels hotter in the city where the buildings block any breeze you might get. But you get used to it and modify your life accordingly..go out in mornings and evenings and find something indoors to do during the heat of the day.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Totally agree with HappyTexan as I moved here from Florida as well. It is definitely not as humid here as it is on the Gulf Coast. Also, 100% humidity is just not correct. You will find it to be more humid (around 80%) in the morning and then it dries out toward the afternoon (usually 40-50%). Of course, when it's over 100 degrees, the humidity really doesn't matter too much cause hot is hot. But, I do find it much easier to deal with than I did in Florida (and I grew up there!). Coming from Minnesota, it will be HOT, no doubt about it. But, you'll get used to it if you want to. Hot weather certainly doesn't stop me from doing anything and life does not come to a grinding halt when it's hot outside. In fact, I find that when it is "cold" here (a relative term when speaking to someone from Minnesota), there are way fewer people out and about than when it is hot. And when there's the occasional "ice storm", people are either safe and sound at home or in an accident on the roads.

As for whether there is crime and drugs in Austin, Round Rock, etc., the answer is definitely yes. This is not utopia. Just because you live in a suburb (or the city) does not mean there will not be crime and drugs. That is everywhere. Just find the place that feels comfortable to you and you'll be fine. I definitely recommend renting for at least six months before deciding where to buy, especially if you don't know where you'll be working. The biggest negativity I can think of about Austin is commuting. If you can live close to work, you will definitely be ahead of the game. Also, speaking of negativity, the other one is property taxes. Keep in mind that you will be paying close to 3% property taxes which adds a lot to your mortgage payment.

I don't think I even need to address the "are people friendly" part of your question. Anyone who tells you that people in Austin are not friendly has probably never been here.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
I been watching to weather up north and man Minnesota sure is dang cold these days. v12 degree I saw on tv and my teeth start the chatter for ya. It was very warm today in ATX. Welcome!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
Hi - I relocated here (Round Rock) from Rhode Island a year and a half ago and am very happy...so I definitely encourage you to seriously consider it.

The people are extremely friendly. I've never been to Minnesota, but the difference in attitude from Rhode Island is amazing. I was actually taken aback the first few months here - why was everyone talking to me? Making eye contact? Smiling? Honestly - I'm not exaggerating! Now I'm used to it and happily chat away with strangers, but at first, it was disconcerting.

The schools in Round Rock are great. I'm an educator by trade (Master's of Education in Secondary English and Master's degree in School Counseling) and I've been very happy with RRISD. My oldest is in 2nd grade, and I'm currently subbing in the district (I worked at UT Austin last year, did some more grad school in the fall, and am now looking to get back into k-12 education) and I'm impressed with the district. I worked for a bit as a counselor in the Leander ISD last year, and was not nearly as impressed - but that's just one person's opinion.

The weather - yes, it's HOT, and it's HOT (by my New England standards) from April-Nov, but it looks like that's what you're looking for? (for me, it's one of the few major drawbacks to moving here). However, as far as humidity goes, I actually don't find the humidity as bad here as I did in July and August in Rhode Island...not sure if that's from growing more tolerant of it when it lasts so long, or life in a state where very few have central A/C, but the humidity doesn't really seem that bad here in Austin...especially compared to the swamp-like conditions at my sister's house in Houston.

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin