Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Where is that exactly? I've never heard of it...
Just North of where 35 & 183 intersect. And honestly, it is bad for Austin, but it is really not that bad compared to other cities. There are some great ethnic restaurants in the Lamar/Rundberg area, and I feel no worries going over there to eat at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Great review and I completely agree! I do love some areas of North Austin, such as the Anderson Ln./Northcross locations, but overall I feel that South Austin has much more charm and a funkier vibe. I've always thought Westlake, etc. were beautiful areas but I can't stand the snooty population. There is a very noticeable difference in friendliness between that area and the central/south areas.

I'm not sure if Pflugerville is headed downhill or not, but I will say that it's the most depressing suburb I've ever been to. I don't know what it is about it but I have never liked that place.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post

I'm not sure if Pflugerville is headed downhill or not, but I will say that it's the most depressing suburb I've ever been to. I don't know what it is about it but I have never liked that place.
I think it's because they feel the need to put a "Pf" in front of every word in that town.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Enjoyed your post JCO. Good lessons to be learned and much of what you said can also apply to Dallas and Houston regarding established city neighborhoods vs. suburbs.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Wow, what a great post! As someone who has lived in the Austin area for 21 years, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I'm one of those "holdouts" off Cuernavaca and I don't much like the Westlake snobbishness either.

And don't get me started on the grocery stores. For a town this size to have only 2 major chains is criminal. And it's not just the prices, the selections are so limited! The meat is horrible too, especially the pork. You'd think we could do better.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM

153 posts, read 620,864 times
Moonlady...have you checked out Costco's meat selection? Everything I have got there has been good and for less than HEB per pound. The boneless porkchops have got to be more than 2" thick.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Wow, you sure took some time to type all that out! Thanks for sharing.

So have you determined what neighborhoods you are targeting to move to?
We haven't figured that out just yet! It seems that our budget and the home prices in central Austin don't want to be friends! We're trying to decide how to be approved for another 40k. My small business income isn't really counted, so we're basically going off one salary. In the mean time, we're trying to find a gem of a neighborhood in central for less than 200k. I don't think it'll happen!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Thanks for you input; but may I ask what parts of Cedar Park did you drive through?

IMHO CP is not all that big and does feel like you can miss it really quick. I mean if you was on old hwy183, then yea, its not the greatest but if you was to stroll a cruise down Lakeline Blvd, Cypress Creek through Deer Creek or even down hwy1431 you can see what kind of access you'd have getting to Lake Travis.
Since you mentioned you’re from Phoenix, boats are pretty popular out there, right?
I know when I sold my 22' ski boat, some nice folks from Phoenix drove to Austin and purchased it. I never have seen a family so happy about a boat purchase. Not sure if you guys enjoy lakes or boating, but CP really is a nice city and big bonus if your lake or water rats .
We did drive along old 183, Lakeline and Deer Creek, but I don't remember seeing Cypress Creek or Hwy 1431. We were close to Lake Pleasant in Phoenix, but no boat. It's on my husband's list of things he wants before 40, though! I have heard that Cedar Park is close to water sports and has a great Christmas tree every year!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Interesting observations and thanks for sharing. We currently live in DC (N. VA), but have also lived in the Triangle (moved there from DC shortly after 9/11, Chapel Hill to be specific), then relo'd to Phoenix (Anthem), and then back to DC!

Now we're torn between going back to Anthem or making the move to Austin. Time will tell I reckon'.
I think it really depends on what you're looking for. Anthem is very nice, but I think the schools are better in the suburbs out here. Anthem is getting a Great Hearts Prep school soon, though (and it's free!). Where are you looking out here?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
We haven't figured that out just yet! It seems that our budget and the home prices in central Austin don't want to be friends! We're trying to decide how to be approved for another 40k. My small business income isn't really counted, so we're basically going off one salary. In the mean time, we're trying to find a gem of a neighborhood in central for less than 200k. I don't think it'll happen!
You may find a fixer upper around 1200 sq ft in Crestview for that. it's not all prestigious like Hyde Park but it's a fine and extremely convenient neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin