Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:31 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times

Advertisements

I've continually pointed people in the direction of apartments under $800 (including mine st $777). It's doable l, you just have to know how to find them. They won't be luxuouious, but they are livable. I know I already said roommate situation. Sticking to it, but will also suggest looking in San Antonio for employment as well, although we don't know the field op is going into. With that salary it sounds like social services or something more blue collar. Both SA and Austin have jobs in that field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 PM

300 posts, read 348,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
$800 a month? You best be planning to have a couple of roommates.

Unless you have a teaching certificate moving into Austin, without a job, where you are going to be competing with 10K newly minted UT grads, that don't want to leave Austin, every year is a bold choice.

Have you considered Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC?
Asheville, NC is liberal, but rent is high. One would have to look outside of Buncombe County and consider neighboring Haywood County which is nowhere liberal.

Greenville, SC rent is cheaper, but it isn't as liberal as Asheville.

In terms of employment, Greenville would be better as Asheville is totally dependent on the tourism industry, lacking variance in other industries.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 8,296 times
Thank you for all your replies. $800 a month is just an estimate, and I did specify that I want to live in the OUTER areas of Austin, not in Austin. Meaning, areas that are further away and cheaper to live in. I have decided not to pursue Austin for many reasons.

Also, "Clever Nickname here", its funny you say that. NC is my first choice, and seems to be the place I keep going back to. I am thinking about the triangle, either Raleigh or Durham

Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 8,296 times
Wow, now I really know what it feels like to enter the world as a young professional straight out of college. I get treated like an idiot even though I SPECIFICALLY said I am not sure how much I will be making, so my $800 figure for rent is an ESTIMATE. Also, I also specifically asked what neighborhoods OUTSIDE of Austin would be the best to move to; meaning this post was asking bout areas that are further away from Austin and cheaper to live in.

Thank you to all of the posters who responded to my question, which is completely valid.

$800 a month is just an estimate. I have decided not to pursue Austin for many reasons.

Also, "Clever Nickname here", its funny you say that. NC is my first choice, and seems to be the place I keep going back to. I am thinking about the triangle, either Raleigh or Durham

Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM

283 posts, read 254,986 times
When you say "around $800" and immediately follow up with "even cheaper is always great", I don't think it's unfair to assume $800 is your upper limit. What people are trying to tell you is that "around $800" is not going to get you what it seems you want. Maybe "around $1000" is more realistic. Or not. I don't know, fortunately I haven't had to rent in a long time.

30-40 minutes outside of "downtown" Austin with traffic is north Austin, and not even that far north Austin. Maybe even close-in south Austin off Lamar. Traffic is horrible here during rush hours, in a bad way. It's not like you drive 30 miles in 40 minutes. It's more like you drive 10 miles in 45 minutes, bumper to bumper dodging construction cones the whole way. Double or triple what the realtor/apartment folks say when they say something is "just 20 minutes to downtown!".

"Outside" the city limits can mean a lot of things, but I can't think of any town where around $800/month is doable that would have anything less than an hour commute in traffic, on a good day. And those areas will most definitely not be "liberal" and may or may not have easy access to the outdoor activities you're interested in.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 PM

145 posts, read 173,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermanj8 View Post
Thank you for all your replies. $800 a month is just an estimate, and I did specify that I want to live in the OUTER areas of Austin, not in Austin.
Figure out where you are going to work. Draw a circle with a 10 mile radius. That's roughly 30 minutes for at least 7 hours of every day. 15 miles is 45 minutes. Today. Next year commute time won't be 3x miles. It will be worse and even worse the year after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin