U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,903,071 times

Advertisements

I think you must really be unfamiliar with large city dwelling. Hyde Park is not a good example. Brooklyn is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM

2,084 posts, read 3,856,753 times
Mueller is so not Brooklyn. Why do you think they have so many houses left for sale, it's because people backed out when they saw the product.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,903,071 times
I never said Mueller was Brooklyn - but it's patterned after urban dwelling.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 PM

2,084 posts, read 3,856,753 times
Have you been there to see it? It's intention may have been an urban dwelling but it does not look like it. Go and see it if you haven't.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM

75,116 posts, read 35,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I never said Mueller was Brooklyn - but it's patterned after urban dwelling.
oh Jenbar..from NYC ? The Bronx is like that as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 AM

233 posts, read 763,102 times
All solipsism aside, the houses that are left for sale are the ones at the higher price points (Streetman, Standard Pacific). The houses at the lower end sold out at record speed and there is a waiting list. If someone backs out one of these contracts, the property is typically back in contract the same day. In a tight new home market, Mueller is an anomaly.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 AM

233 posts, read 763,102 times
What do you think urban dwellings look like?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 AM

21 posts, read 28,785 times
Default Suburban / Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
It's not really urban. It looks totally suburban except for the lots.
It is kind of suburban but with an urban location. I am a Mueller Pioneer and have been watching it grow.

I used to live in London so the things that appeal to me about Mueller include the small lots (I'm not a yard person, but I'm fond of parks), and the promise of transit oriented development. I had a car for less than one of the ten years I lived in London.

Maybe it's a bit Utopian of me, but I like the idea of a Town Centre with stores I can walk or bike to. And maybe a streetcar to get me downtown or to the entertainment district.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,484 times
My husband and I are young, no children, and no plans on having any. We both are busy with work and careers, and I think this development caters to people like us and our friends who are in similar situations. This is a perfect development if you're 30 something and have either a small child, or plans to not have children, and want to live close to town without the noise of college kids. I agree, it is a "dicer" part of town, but I have been here almost 15 years, and I can remember when you wouldn't even THINK of crossing I-35. Now, they are starting, slowly, but surely to re-develop the East Side. It will happen, especially with the Real Estate being so valuable there, traffic continuing to get worse and worse, and people dreading the I-35 drive in from the Suburbs.

The one thing that I do agree with, when viewing other posts here, is that it would be nice to have some Yard Homes in a middle ground price range. The $175-$280's would bring in a younger demographic of people who might not be able to purchase in the $300's, especially with the fear that re-sale might not as profitable. I know that has what has kept us out in the beginning. I also never thought (again, no children) about the new Elementary school busing in transient children from nearby apartments, and locals from the outlying neighborhoods.

I think right now, I'll be interested to see how Austin ends up standing as a whole. I see someone said above about Mueller being an anomaly, and while I agree that the sales over there look promising, I think that there are still a lot of people who gawk at the pricing for the product. I'll be interested to see it all as Phase II develops.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 PM

16,426 posts, read 22,750,220 times
I have to say that I was excited about the concept, and then the very first thing that went in, it seemed, at least from the highway, were big box stores. Which is SO not what new urbanism or true urbanism is about. The term "greenwashing" kept running through my head.

Now, I admit, I haven't done the grand tour of the place and hope to do so the end of this month, so I'm reserving my final opinion, but that didn't bode well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin