Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
They've always been allowed on "the" one.
Spit out my tea & had to clean the screen. Good one, A Tex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
"The" usually means a transplant to the area.
Pretty sure that was my point.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Who freakin' cares what the OP referred to the damn freeway as? He/she asked a legit question.

I mean ... come ON! I don't have enough fingers to count the number of threads hijacked by petty sniping here. It's embarrassing. Grow up, people. If you want to give off an image of Austin cool then actually BE cool.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times
The OP received lots of good info and opinions. Some of us were having fun....not sniping.

Which reminds me.....when chicken frying wild snipe, do you prefer cream or brown gravy? I've seen some snipe scurrying behind a Prius and a Volvo wagon when traveling down the 620 & also on the 2222 when traveling down the Tumbleweed Hill...but that was before the Santa Ana winds died down last winter.

& imo, Snipe tastes much better than the rattlers we pick up at the annual roundup they put on in the Steiner and the Avery Ranches - when they come out of hibernation each May.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Pretty sure that was my point.
Not everyone understands that, so I was just making sure people weren't confused. CA people don't know they're saying it wrong, most of the time.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
On the contrary, there's actually a very practical reason why so many generations of Southern Californians preface freeways with "the". It's been discussed many times here.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/t...reeway-numbers

Should Texans be required to give up awesome nomenclature like "y'all" or "fixin' to" when they leave the Lone Star State? I think it would suck if they did. Regional slang is cool. To me it's a reminder of what an enormous and colorful nation we live in. I have a friend from New Jersey who doesn't say "turn up the volume" ... she says "louder it". Although I've lived here eight years, I still say "hella". These little things make us all unique. I don't understand the need to point out, mock, or snark at people's language in an effort to mark them as transplants. It just seems like a provincial and petty habit to me.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM

67 posts, read 115,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I feel your pain! During the 'downturn', the major truck traffic up here was quarry trucking...could be avoided somewhat by taking certain routes...BUT, for the last three years, stone and hopper trucks are all over nearly every street that's wide enough for them to travel! I swear, some of the trucks are coming back with the same stone/dirt/rock that 'another' truck just hauled away!!!

Of course, they aren't responsible for cracked windshields resulting from gravel flying off their uncovered trucks...says so right on the tailgate sticker.

OP...As far as I know, "you" can call it "The Mo' "; but don't get caught calling it "THE MoPac" or "THE One"...or "THE Loop One" for that matter.
Thanks for the correction, on MoPac there are a freaking lot of big semi-trucks!!! For some reason, I thought they were restricted on MoPac. With all of the construction in Austin and all of the through traffic and trucking between Mexico and Canada, it is a real mess. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:51 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Who freakin' cares what the OP referred to the damn freeway as? He/she asked a legit question.

I mean ... come ON! I don't have enough fingers to count the number of threads hijacked by petty sniping here. It's embarrassing. Grow up, people. If you want to give off an image of Austin cool then actually BE cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
On the contrary, there's actually a very practical reason why so many generations of Southern Californians preface freeways with "the". It's been discussed many times here.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/t...reeway-numbers

Should Texans be required to give up awesome nomenclature like "y'all" or "fixin' to" when they leave the Lone Star State? I think it would suck if they did. Regional slang is cool. To me it's a reminder of what an enormous and colorful nation we live in. I have a friend from New Jersey who doesn't say "turn up the volume" ... she says "louder it". Although I've lived here eight years, I still say "hella". These little things make us all unique. I don't understand the need to point out, mock, or snark at people's language in an effort to mark them as transplants. It just seems like a provincial and petty habit to me.
Wow. All y'all need to simmer down.

1. It isn't snarking or sniping or hijacking or whatever. Some of us were enjoying a long running CD joke.

2. If you don't see the humorous irony in someone stating that something didn't used to be a certain way in Austin but uses an obvious colloquialism from another region to do so, then I don't know what to tell you.

3. The question was answered right away. By multiple people.

4. Very often Texans are expected to give up their colloquialisms when they leave the state, or do business and have other dealings elsewhere. Indeed y'alls, fixin' tos and the like are are looked down upon in other places as being simple, uneducated or completely misunderstood. Just tell a Californian they can take the feeder and see what happens.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
This post from another location seems to fit what I recall regarding trucks and MoPac:
Quote:
When the MoPac Expressway was first being planned in the 60's, the good people of West Austin didn't want a bunch of noisy 18-wheelers going by their houses all day, and they threatened to block it in city hall. The City Council proposed, as a compromise, to pass an ordinance banning 18-wheelers from MoPac. They did, in fact, pass the 18-Wheeler ban before construction was even started on MoPac.

Eventually, The first segment of Mopac opened. (Seems like it was just from Barton Springs or 1st street, to 2222. I don't think it even went to 183, originally. Anyway, as soon as it opened, the federal Department of Transportation announced that, since federal funds were used to build MoPac, that they couldn't ban trucks. It turns out the City Council at the time, knew all along that their ordinance would not stand, but it shut up the people living alongside MoPac long enough to get it built. You'll notice that there are now concrete sound barriers alongside most of those old neighborhoods, that were built after the fact.
Btw, the first section of MoPac was from 2222 south down to 2244 and was completed in 74 or 75? It wasn't until the 80s that they really started expanding it further north/south.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
They are banned behind my neighborhood. The truckers then take the ban signs at the bridges, rip them out and drive across. When we complain, the city replaces the signs and does nothing. When locals video tape the truckers ripping out the signs they are told to stop recording videos. Dont even get me stated on how badly the city screwed up our streets in Windsor Hills.

Welcome to Austin.
Which neighborhood? What ban signs? You mean like "No Through Trucks" signs? Official ones set in concrete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin