Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,056,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Is this a millennial thing? I am interested in medicine = I'm a Medical Doctor?/Culture and reading interest me = I'm a PhD. How odd.
He said "I am PhD and love reading and writing."
Then, to clarify, he said that he was "well-educated" and "interested in readings, events, book stores, etc."

He didn't say that he doesn't have a PhD, so I'm assuming he does.

But I'm still wondering what he means by "readings" and "events."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:38 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

Is this a millennial thing?

I am interested in medicine = I'm a Medical Doctor? / Culture and reading interest me = I'm a PhD.

How odd.
I think it is the opposite, he is saying he has a PhD = culture and reading interest me.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM

33 posts, read 82,580 times
I don't know why people keep saying East Austin is very expensive... I rented a two bedroom house off of Cesar Chavez (which is east and close to downtown) for $1200.00 a month. I still live on the east side, off of Oltorff, and pay $900.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment and others in my complex pay around $1400 for their 2bd/2bath...
Maybe some of the bigger/newer houses are more expensive and yes, the prices are going up on the east side because of all the renovations / gentrification's but overall, its still a pretty cheap area to live.

You might want to check out Hyde Park on the west side, I hear that it's got some affordable areas and it's a cool neighborhood.. Off of Lamar is cool but that has gone up in price as well, honestly - everything is going up !!!

If you're open to living more north, that is also more affordable.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:49 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,886,592 times
readings - like lectures, poetry readings, authors who come to Book People all the time, etc.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,936,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWray12 View Post
I don't know why people keep saying East Austin is very expensive... I rented a two bedroom house off of Cesar Chavez (which is east and close to downtown) for $1200.00 a month. I still live on the east side, off of Oltorff, and pay $900.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment and others in my complex pay around $1400 for their 2bd/2bath...
Maybe some of the bigger/newer houses are more expensive and yes, the prices are going up on the east side because of all the renovations / gentrification's but overall, its still a pretty cheap area to live.

You might want to check out Hyde Park on the west side, I hear that it's got some affordable areas and it's a cool neighborhood.. Off of Lamar is cool but that has gone up in price as well, honestly - everything is going up !!!

If you're open to living more north, that is also more affordable.
I gather it's because they're talking about newer complexes. Coming from LA and having to settle for older cheaper apts due to costs and smaller supply of affordable housing is commonplace. But when people try to tell you rents are going up in Texas I think it's cus they skip the older places they would never set foot in. I mean those places just aren't even mentioned. Many of my friends and family do this when I ask them about inner loop Houston. And the places aren't bad either by any stretch of the imagination. Some very nice but in Texas older is considered not nice.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
I just have this stuck in my head now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLAuzVb-C_o

Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,581,731 times
I just want to make sure OP has seen Austin before. Like a visit. At least the LA guy in the other post planned on visiting. And after that, he realized it wasn't a good fit. Please come and see us before you move here. I wouldn't discount Dallas or Houston but San Antonio I'd pass on. It's still not quite hip enough for what I think OP wants/needs. If you have visited I'd throw out Mueller as another okay choice.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,683,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
He said "I am PhD and love reading and writing."
Then, to clarify, he said that he was "well-educated" and "interested in readings, events, book stores, etc."

He didn't say that he doesn't have a PhD, so I'm assuming he does.

But I'm still wondering what he means by "readings" and "events."
Oh, I see. Since your post was edited, I wasn't sure what was potentially missing.

OP, Like others, I'd recommend a visit. Obviously, the center of the intellectual community is UT, which hosts abundant talks, readings, conferences, concerts, and other cultural opportunities.

RE: "LA Freeway". Love Guy Clark's version of that tune. Guy wrote it, right? Did Jerry Jeff's version come out first?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,936,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I just want to make sure OP has seen Austin before. Like a visit. At least the LA guy in the other post planned on visiting. And after that, he realized it wasn't a good fit. Please come and see us before you move here. I wouldn't discount Dallas or Houston but San Antonio I'd pass on. It's still not quite hip enough for what I think OP wants/needs. If you have visited I'd throw out Mueller as another okay choice.
What's wrong with SA? I had thought that it has similar topography to Austin. Is it just not as gentrified? That might be good when looking for housing

Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What's wrong with SA? I had thought that it has similar topography to Austin. Is it just not as gentrified? That might be good when looking for housing

SA is just a very different town, different culture, different vibe, everything. I don't have time to try to fully describe it but Austin and SA are distinct places with distinct histories and traditions. They are NOT interchangeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin