Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 AM

31 posts, read 30,410 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying in a different school district in Austin and apply for transfer due to housing budget.

He has two more years before University so we are trying to find a balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2016 View Post
We are thinking of buying in a different school district in Austin and apply for transfer due to housing budget.

He has two more years before University so we are trying to find a balance.
Eanes does allow out-of-district transfers based on available spots. There generally aren't very many of them, and just because a student is accepted one year, doesn't mean they will be accepted the next. One needs to reapply each year, so there's the possibility that he may not get a consistent high school experience. The application deadline is early summer too -- maybe the end of June?

If you're that stuck on Westlake, I'd find a way to live in-disrict even if it meant renting for a while. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, there are many great high schools with strong academic programs and cater to his EC interests and he most certainly can find an environment that will suit his needs. I'd concentrate more on those possibilities rather than the "maybe Westlake even though we won't live there" plan.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 PM

So I started checking out the schools that you have listed. How do people rate the schools on the forum? Are they based on personal experience, school reputation or test scores?

How do you find out the quality of teaching? Are AP and IB courses taught in a similar way or depends on the school?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
The only way to get the ultimate answer to your questions is to actually apply for the transfer.
http://www.eanesisd.net/transfers

I transferred my older into Westlake until we moved into the district for her final year and the first three of my younger daughter's. Westlake students are highly sought after by colleges and universities.

Steve

Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the information.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Rent a duplex off of Spyglass Loop. That's the "back door" into Eanes.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 17,444 times
I'm also interested in this topic. How are the kids treated at this school if they are living in a rented duplex area? I just wonder if the kids become outcasts.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:13 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2016 View Post
So I started checking out the schools that you have listed. How do people rate the schools on the forum? Are they based on personal experience, school reputation or test scores?

How do you find out the quality of teaching? Are AP and IB courses taught in a similar way or depends on the school?

Thanks!
Different people rate (the academics of) schools & school tracks/feeder patterns different ways.

I prefer to look at average SAT scores and the % of kids taking the SAT. Also the number of kids taking AP tests AND their average scores. The quick litmus being the average SAT score.

Good question on how different schools teach AP & IB courses. I have no idea. Given your work location at Bee Caves & Mopac (& your data points)....if money was no object, I would be looking at (in order):

1. Eanes/Westlake
2. AISD/Anderson (with LASA a possibility in AISD)
3. RRISD/Westwood
4. LISD/Vandegrift
5. LTISD/Lake Travis (can someone confirm if LT has IB ??)

So FIVE different school districts and FIVE different HSs. All very good to great (academic) schools. All with pros & cons.

At the school my kid attends, AP courses are harder (sometimes much harder....more material and more advanced material) than "on level" courses. And IB courses are identical to AP courses....but have move "work" (with related projects, group projects, read an extra book & do a report, etc.) IB is more of a time eater, but the actual material learned & tests taken are identical to AP. (not sure how it is elsewhere)

I would draw a 2-4 mile circle around the 360 Bridge & rent something (you'll find townhomes and homes that feed into each of the top 4 schools mentioned above). IMO, the home you "want" today will not be the home you "need" in 2.5 years. & in 6-12 months you'll know a LOT more about Austin than you know now.

Regarding Tennis. Look at Universal Tennis Rating (& type your kid's name in). If he's a 9 or below, he won't make Varsity at WL, WW or LT. (would he be OK with JV?)

I think you should weigh the pros & cons of attending WL vs. Anderson (or WW). My kid attends WW & has lots of friends at WL (& the other 4 schools), but would be a much better fit at WW, Anderson (or Vandy or McNeil) than he would at WL or LT. But each kid is different.

Good luck.

Last edited by hound 109; 05-18-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 PM

hound 109, thank you so much for the detailed information. I am slowly learning the different school districts and neighbourhood names, but I am getting there! Thanks!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78745gm View Post
I'm also interested in this topic. How are the kids treated at this school if they are living in a rented duplex area? I just wonder if the kids become outcasts.
Westlake students are generally extremely cliquish so it could be an issue depending on who your kid is trying to run with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin