Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:58 PM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times

Advertisements

That hasn't happened in a while...and the downstream lakes are closed. I see the triathlon became a biathlon, too.

Quote:
LCRA plans to open floodgates at Mansfield Dam and Tom Miller Dam today. Floodgate operations along the Highland Lakes are increasing in response to rain that fell in the upper basin over the last 48 hours.

At Mansfield and Tom Miller Dams - On Monday, May 30 LCRA plans to fully open three floodgates at Mansfield Dam in addition to ongoing releases of water through hydroelectric generation. One floodgate will be opened at Mansfield Dam every two hours beginning at 5 p.m. (5 p.m., 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.) to release excess flood water from Lake Travis. Downstream at Tom Miller Dam, in addition to ongoing releases of water through hydroelectric generation, LCRA will fully open two floodgates and will partially open a third floodgate between 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The Highland Lakes are full and passing excess inflows at all dams. Soils are saturated from widespread rains of about 1 to 2 inches over the Highland Lake watershed the night of May 29-30. Creeks and rivers flowing into the Highland Lakes are expected to rise significantly today and over the next several days. In accordance with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers protocols for operation of Mansfield Dam, LCRA plans to initiate floodgate operations today. Forecasts and operational plans for the Highland Lakes dams are likely to continue to change with the changing conditions and with significant additional rainfall in the forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 AM

550 posts, read 493,197 times
As I read here last year"

"When it rains, it never stops and when it stops, it never rains."

Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
As I read here last year"

"When it rains, it never stops and when it stops, it never rains."
Yes, it does seem to come in 'bunches'; however, this seems (to me) not that much wetter than spring should look like - waves of spring thunderstorms were what I came to expect growing up. Maybe a little more sun in-between waves than we are currently getting, but more normal than dry heat all spring....

Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,154,838 times
I understand why the Corps is releasing water, but I still don't like it. I wish LCRA had additional storage capacity (I know they're in the process of building that tiny little reservoir way downstream) because you know we're gonna need it sooner rather than later.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,464,926 times
We set out Thursday afternoon to a rented cabin out east in Big Thicket. Never got there.

We spent the night stranded in Brenham in a motel that had EMS delivering flood rescue victims via MRAP all night long. Of all the days and towns for us to be in ... never seen anything like it, and never want to again. Over 20" of rain. I bow before you, Texas pioneers.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We set out Thursday afternoon to a rented cabin out east in Big Thicket. Never got there.

We spent the night stranded in Brenham in a motel that had EMS delivering flood rescue victims via MRAP all night long. Of all the days and towns for us to be in ... never seen anything like it, and never want to again. Over 20" of rain. I bow before you, Texas pioneers.
Talk about bad timing AND bad destination. You pretty much nailed the worst time and place to be during the past week (month, year?). Glad you are okay .

Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,605,987 times
Triathlon turned into a 5k/10k yesterday. With the ground flooding the bike portion was cancelled. What a bummer. (side note its a duathlon not a biathlon).

Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 PM

Yeah, a co-worker was going to do that tri, but decided to skip it when it became just a run :/.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,471,443 times
Based on the radar currently, opening the gates may be good...may be bad. Gettin' pretty wet out there!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:36 PM

Yeah, Llano river got hit pretty good today. Buchanan just opened a second flood gate. With both of those things happening, a lot of water is heading in to Travis. If too much falls downstream of Travis they will have to close some of the gates again. Honestly, I think they saw an opportunity to drop the lake a few inches in between storms and took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin