Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM

22 posts, read 17,337 times

Advertisements

I've searched past posts and am wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Covered Bridge subdivision near Oak Hill in SW Austin? The homes there appear to be in the low 400s with good schools, decent sized lots and seems like a reasonable commute to my workplace (near MoPac and Barton Skyway). Does anyone have any thoughts on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:52 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,464,072 times
I live in Westview Estates, an older neighborhood just behind Covered Bridge. I think CB is a lovely neighborhood in a great location. Very nice well-kept homes with great landscaping and amenities. I commuted from my home to my office at The Terrace at Mopac/360 for a couple years and with the exception of the daily SW Parkway/Mopac backup it was a breeze.

I will caution you however that it's been utterly encroached upon by development the past few years. Acres of beautiful oaks that once surrounded it have been turned into an annoyingly loud mega church with an amphitheater that the Covered Bridge HOA has been in litigation with over the past few years (which will hopefully wrap up soon under mediation), an enormous apartment complex, a small strip mall under construction, a mosque, and now there's something happening on the hill between Covered Bridge Drive and Silvermine that we haven't figured out yet.

All that said, if you find the right home in Covered Bridge (I'd avoid anything on Covered Bridge Drive itself between 71 and Sam Bishop Drive) you will probably be very happy there.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 PM

2,131 posts, read 3,561,749 times
I live on the other side of Pitter Pat in Westview Estates. When I walk or ride my bike in this general area I have to be struck by how differently families behave in the two neighborhoods. In my neighborhood people are outside a lot walking, jogging, playing sports. If you cross a total stranger and comment on the gorgeous weather you get a warm reply.

In Covered Bridge when somebody drives away and their garage door is briefly open, you see bicycles, children's trikes, etc. in the garage, but YOU RARELY SEE ANYBODY OUTSIDE, CHILD OR ADULT. You can hardly make eye contact with anybody you do see, let alone have a brief friendly conversation. There have been exceptions, but overall this has been my experience.

May or may not matter one bit to the original poster, but I know which neighborhood is for me!

Don

Last edited by Don in Austin; 05-31-2016 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-31-2016, 07:00 PM

You aren't kidding, neighbor! When I drive down the hill on Sam Bishop and see our neighborhood all spread out and hidden under the trees, I still smile. Covered Bridge is more of an executive cookie cutter neighborhood than our little rural utopia down here, that's for sure. It's still very nice in my opinion, but the traffic on Covered Bridge Drive probably is a big part of why we don't see too much outdoor activity, at least on that street. There are a lot of kids there though; I've been stuck behind the school bus many times and seen them roiling out at the top of the hill in great numbers.

Maybe we shouldn't talk too much about our great little hidden neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 PM

2,131 posts, read 3,561,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You aren't kidding, neighbor! When I drive down the hill on Sam Bishop and see our neighborhood all spread out and hidden under the trees, I still smile. Covered Bridge is more of an executive cookie cutter neighborhood than our little rural utopia down here, that's for sure. It's still very nice in my opinion, but the traffic on Covered Bridge Drive probably is a big part of why we don't see too much outdoor activity, at least on that street. There are a lot of kids there though; I've been stuck behind the school bus many times and seen them roiling out at the top of the hill in great numbers.

Maybe we shouldn't talk too much about our great little hidden neighborhood.
Well its not just the street Covered Bridge, it seems to be the whole neighborhood.

There are a lot of kids, but its out of the bus and straight into the house from what I see.

Also, when I am out mowing the lawn, or getting the mail, everybody who drives by waves.

Don

Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 PM

I think that's just become common life sadly for so many families, it seems. I look at this neighborhood and think what an absolute joy it would have been to live here as a child, with the creek and woods and wide, quiet curbless roads with no traffic to play on. These days kids entertain themselves by sitting on their butts playing video games, or have parents afraid to let them outside. Our kids were grown by the time we moved here in 08 but our little black schnauzer sure loves it here.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 17,337 times
Wow, your neighborhood sounds great. I need to find our more about this! I've lived in South Austin since 2000. The schools aren't great though and I'm looking for a nice place to relocate around $400K or less with good schools.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 21,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
and now there's something happening on the hill between Covered Bridge Drive and Silvermine that we haven't figured out yet.
Has anyone figured out what is being constructed here?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM

No, I still haven't. It sure looks like crap though, and houses on that side of Covered Bridge Drive are flooding the market now. They've destroyed a beautiful little pocket canyon that was just lovely.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:02 PM

63 posts, read 212,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1211 View Post
Has anyone figured out what is being constructed here?
You mean the new residential subdivision? It's to be called the Enclave at Covered Bridge.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=203564
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: