Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 AM

7,997 posts, read 10,378,641 times

Advertisements

Austin ties San Antonio as the most overvalued housing market int he US. I can't say I disagree. I've actually been saying it for years. It's just a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

Most Overvalued, No. 1 (tie): Austin, Texas - In Photos: The Most Overvalued and Undervalued Housing Markets 2016 - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Austin ties San Antonio as the most overvalued housing market int he US. I can't say I disagree. I've actually been saying it for years. It's just a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

Most Overvalued, No. 1 (tie): Austin, Texas - In Photos: The Most Overvalued and Undervalued Housing Markets 2016 - Forbes
How much time??? Can you let me know so I can sell just before then?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,972,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

It's a stupid, stupid study.

It assumes that every single market in the nation was equally and appropriately valued in 2011.

Forbes Welcome

Fitch, which did the study, even backslides on it.

"A lot of the price increase is reasonable and explainable. "

Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,369,274 times
Actually, i went to rent an apartment a couple months ago, in Austin, and for various reasons, I chose not to take it...loved the apartment, but for various reasons just chose to stay put in my current residence. But I kept my eye on the apartment website and noticed that the available units there in that building were not leasing...a couple weeks later, the rental agent from that complex called me, and told me that they have lowered the price on the units by $200 per month...and it got me thinking, that maybe the growth has leveled off; if things were as hot as they claim they are, then these really nice units would have leased sooner...they did lease after dropping the price. I think the in-migration to this city may have finally hit a crescendo, for now.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Actually, i went to rent an apartment a couple months ago, in Austin, and for various reasons, I chose not to take it...loved the apartment, but for various reasons just chose to stay put in my current residence. But I kept my eye on the apartment website and noticed that the available units there in that building were not leasing...a couple weeks later, the rental agent from that complex called me, and told me that they have lowered the price on the units by $200 per month...and it got me thinking, that maybe the growth has leveled off; if things were as hot as they claim they are, then these really nice units would have leased sooner...they did lease after dropping the price. I think the in-migration to this city may have finally hit a crescendo, for now.
Opposite happened to my complex. I got in under $800 and checked rents for a friend who needed to be under $800 and my unit in another building is now $850...about $80 more than I'm paying. I think there are a lot of factors associated with the rental market and that the Austin area that can fluctuate.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,968,246 times
Before I bought my house last year . I was bidding against 20 other buyers . It's overvalued because there's not enough houses for ppl moving here .

Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,527,340 times
So the "article" was 10 photos...am I missing something here?

Places like SF have median homes values at 15x the median income. Austin is no where near that, perhaps Forbes is presuming the glut of paper-millionaires/Chinese investors in SF are back-stopping the market??

Also - the value of a market goes beyond numbers.

How does one put a value on Phoenix's weather (#4)?
Forecast to be over 110 for the next 10 days:
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0166:1:US

Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 AM

895 posts, read 1,236,078 times
Man I wonder where the Chicago suburbs fall in line then.. 300k in those Chicago burbs will get you a dumbster fire 50 years in need of a remodel, mold infested, and property taxes that match your mortgage payment.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,968,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Man I wonder where the Chicago suburbs fall in line then.. 300k in those Chicago burbs will get you a dumbster fire 50 years in need of a remodel, mold infested, and property taxes that match your mortgage payment.
Sounds about right. 275k in my old neighborhood got you a house built in the 70's with major updating to be done. The same house here goes for about 175

Old 06-21-2016, 10:21 AM

103 posts, read 210,610 times
New Jersey is much the same. $490K for a 3bd 1ba in need of a MAJOR gut job. No yard and neighbors inches away. Taxes $10K a year. It's insane. I am counting down the days until we get out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin