Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My daughter (entering 9th grade in the fall) has an IEP for anxiety and difficulty with emotional regulation. I suspect she also has mild aspergers. She generally got A's in middle school so she is academically pretty strong, although she has mild dyslexia. Looking for ideas as to what high schools could best accommodate her social/emotional needs while still giving a decent education, conventional or unconventional.

What public or private high schools would you recommend? We live south so driving somewhere way up north very day is probably not realistic, but I'll consider any suggestions at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Private school for the fall will be tricky since the admission cycle is basically over -- that said, every school has some movement over the summer (people move, change jobs etc), so there might be a spot but it is hard to predict.

I'd google AltEd Austin and search their high school listings.

Griffin School and Khabele are the first to come to mind, along with Odyssey School. You might want to look at Veritas, I *think* that they have an unconventional schedule even in HS and may only have class 3-4x a week. (They are a classical Christian school and have a statement of faith to sign, so consider that). They are south.

What would be your high school? If she did well in a large public middle school, then high school might not be much of a stretch. Legally, you have the most rights in a public school, they have to respect the IEP.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Can't edit my earlier post but here is the Alt Ed Austin school directory, you can select just high schools to look at, another possible option (bit pricey) would be the Fusion Academy, flexible, one on one teaching, can start anytime. I know a teen with health issues who did very well with their approach.

Alt Ed Austin

Old 07-06-2016, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,747 times
Thank you Centralaustinite! Appreciate the link and advice.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 PM

74 posts, read 91,373 times
I second the Griffin School!
Most of the kids there have some form of special needs, usually involving emotional issues and some have dyslexia. They have rolling admissions depending on their current numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: