Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

I was driving down Lamar today (south of 183) and around Airport Blvd. While there is little vacancy (i.e. most buildings are being used in some way, shape, or fashion, which is different than a decade ago), I couldn't but think to myself how ugly everything was. Sure, the metro stations look sleek, sure there's a bike path but it's so overgrown that in portions half is covered in weeds. Sure, there are some modern looking apartments. Sure, there is a new P Terry's. But most of the area is hideously ugly. Even along Koenig it is fugly. Lots of old very small houses converted into shops.

Are we like the emperor with no clothes on? Can we not see Austin for what it is? How can 150 people a day be moving in for this?

Sure our downtown looks great, but right outside it looks like crap. I was so glad to come back to Steiner Ranch and the Hill Country. We may be paving it over but it still looks nicer than that crap and at least our buildings are built in the Hill Country style. I can't stand the 1970's era strip mall crap in the area I drove around. Give me the zoning ordinance that sets places like CVS back from the road and forces them to plant copious amounts of trees, force all businesses to use limestone, etc... It really does make a difference.

Some people will say all that doesn't matter, but if your city looks like crap how can you be proud? I want either nature or architecturally pleasing buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
suburban trash complaining about the innercity, typical

Old 07-12-2016, 06:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
suburban trash complaining about the innercity, typical
False.

I like the downtown area. I love the architecture and like the way everything is going. Basically from the river to about UT everything looks great to me. It's north of that point where it starts looking trashy. The Domain does indeed look great. There needs to be a master plan focused on aesthetics.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,451 times
The contrast between the east side and west side of Burnet Rd makes north Austin look especially bad. NW Austin is gorgeous from Mesa dr on west.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 PM

356 posts, read 409,800 times
Eh, Steiner Ranch? You had nature there once, and then you paved it over with houses that all look pretty much the same. All kissing the feet of a HOA. Suburban trash indeed.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Different strokes for different folks, I go out to Steiner Ranch and practically have heart failure/anxiety attack! I could NEVER live in that manicured mastered planned landscaped place -- to me that is what hell looks like! ick. I'm not a fan of the Domain either. Too corporate, too smooth, too much like fascist aesthetics.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was driving down Lamar today (south of 183) and around Airport Blvd. While there is little vacancy (i.e. most buildings are being used in some way, shape, or fashion, which is different than a decade ago), I couldn't but think to myself how ugly everything was. Sure, the metro stations look sleek, sure there's a bike path but it's so overgrown that in portions half is covered in weeds. Sure, there are some modern looking apartments. Sure, there is a new P Terry's. But most of the area is hideously ugly. Even along Koenig it is fugly. Lots of old very small houses converted into shops.

Are we like the emperor with no clothes on? Can we not see Austin for what it is? How can 150 people a day be moving in for this?

Sure our downtown looks great, but right outside it looks like crap. I was so glad to come back to Steiner Ranch and the Hill Country. We may be paving it over but it still looks nicer than that crap and at least our buildings are built in the Hill Country style. I can't stand the 1970's era strip mall crap in the area I drove around. Give me the zoning ordinance that sets places like CVS back from the road and forces them to plant copious amounts of trees, force all businesses to use limestone, etc... It really does make a difference.

Some people will say all that doesn't matter, but if your city looks like crap how can you be proud? I want either nature or architecturally pleasing buildings.
Move to Dallas if that's what you like, or better Sugarland. I agree that Austin is generally an architecturally undistinguished city, but Steiner Ranch would be exhibit A: bland, cookie cutter houses entirely without architectural merit thrown up on formerly pristine hillsides. I am not duped by limestone cladding - talk about fugly. Steiner Ranch housing has as much relation to hill country architecture as my ass. If you wanna see hill country architecture, go to Boerne or Fredericksburg or Mason. Aesthetically, Steiner Ranch is a crappy Temecula very far from the sea.

The main commercial arterial roads through Austin are not conventionally pretty: Burnett, Lamar, Airport, but they have some historical layering: 1940s to present architectural styles - some great neon on Burnett and North Lamar and are home to much of what makes Austin interesting. Take the stretch of Airport from 35 to Koenig/2222 - its home to some of best restaurants in Austin at every price point : Bullfight, Kome, Tyson's Tacos, one of the last thriving video stores in the country with a great collection of foreign art films, Coldtowne Theater, a fabulous dive bar in Barfly, Quality Seafood, where most restaurants in the city get their fish, a terrific billiards hall in the Grand. I could go on. I could do the same for North Lamar, which also has some vernacular mid-century modernist gems dotted in the mix, and the best Asian markets in the city once you get around 183. Get out of your car. These are some of the streets that make Austin interesting. I'll take substance over superficial aesthetics anyway, especially since those superficial aesthetics are fugly - to borrow your word- in their own way. Any building which houses something interesting is better than a limestone clad CVS??? And there are some very beautiful residential neighborhoods lurking adjacent to those commercial strips.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Often, 'ugly' can also be considered interesting. While not a fan of completely decrepit, I am also turned-off by overly manicured or organized.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
People act like older neighborhoods existed since the beginning of time and only new areas are "paved over" and "formerly pristine".... Downtown and central Austin were paved over and formerly pristine, so let's not kid ourselves.

If we had this conversation 50 years ago, the same thing would be said about Crestview and Allandale.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
And the suburb vs central war commences...�� Waiting For the post with the words strip mall in it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin