Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:24 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
I think you will be charged $100 to apply, then cancel. Takes a 1 yr commit to avoid the fee.
Yes, that is correct. In the scheme of things the $100 isn't much money.

I've given thought to the fact that being connected to Google Fiber may increase the saleability of the house... not sure how much weight it will actually have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM

319 posts, read 346,301 times
It will help with the people who think they need gigabit speeds.

I think right now, the 78704 folks can again sign up, but I don't know how long it would take. TWC and U-verse can do new installs in a few days, even when digging is required. OTOH, $100 isn't much, especially if you plan to be selling your house.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:45 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
To those people who have signed up for Google Fiber:

1. Are you happy with it?

2. Is it up and running all the time or do you lose service?

3. Are you happy you switched from your previous provider? Who was your previous provider?

Thank you for your input. It is now our turn to sign up and I'm wondering what to do. We have TW and as a company I dislike them. However, our service has been dependable.
Well it took some doing to get the business install finally done at my shop on S First. But the install was very professionally done and I got to tell ATT "How do I send back your gateway box? And I am now officially canceling." Speed is not quite true gigabit but plenty more than I need. TW for business was getting extremely pricey for any kind of speed, ATT could not offer the speed I needed in a business installation for less than $1500/month -- NOT A TYPO, folks!

Not a single outage yet.

So I am thoroughly glad I made the switch.
This is a business installation, I am not able to say anything about the TV options.

Don

Old 08-12-2016, 08:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Quote:
Google's privacy policy (or LACK of privacy policy) is pretty hair-raising. The reason their rates are so low is that they are gathering highly valuable data about everything you do and watch on line. I have a friend who is an inventor and entrepreneur and he won't use GF for that reason, of course, he has patents under development and other patents to protect, most of us don't but still, definitely read their disclosures.
Are you sure you're talking about Google? This describes AT&T's Gigapower service. It's something like $30 a month if you don't want them doing ('anonymous') deep packet inspection. We have it (and I pay the $30/mo since we handle other people's data from our computers at home).

Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, that is what we tell ourselves. When all the installations are done everywhere, reliability will improve.

If you don't sign up at first it can be months or even years (or ever is what GF will tell you) before you can have the chance to get it again. In our neighborhood not having a google fiber as an option could possibly impact resale, worst case, sign up, keep your current service, wait how ever long until they are ready to install it (double whatever time frame they give you), even have it installed to the house. Then just cancel it. That way your house is "google fiber ready" but you can use another service.
I asked our Realtor his thoughts on Google Fiber having an impact on resale. This was his response:

Google Fiber might be considered a perk rather than actually adding any value to the house. It might look good as one of the home's features on a marketing piece at best.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:57 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
It would be nice if they hooked it up. It's been a year since our sign up ended.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:23 PM

163 posts, read 158,910 times
Yes it is good.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 AM

13 posts, read 18,401 times
Default Do you like Google Fiber

You can learn more by the help of Google.. Every time you have queries, you can rely on Google..
I really like Google, such a helpful..

Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
TW speeds works as advertised. If u get less then it's on your end... That's just a fact...

Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, that is what we tell ourselves. When all the installations are done everywhere, reliability will improve.

If you don't sign up at first it can be months or even years (or ever is what GF will tell you) before you can have the chance to get it again. In our neighborhood not having a google fiber as an option could possibly impact resale, worst case, sign up, keep your current service, wait how ever long until they are ready to install it (double whatever time frame they give you), even have it installed to the house. Then just cancel it. That way your house is "google fiber ready" but you can use another service.
Also, there are places where they've done the infrastructure installation but signups are yet to begin. The entire area where a few of our rental properties are located were installed over a year ago, and the signups still aren't available.

The thing to remember is if some kind of technology is offered for free or a price that's significantly discounted from the fair market value, it's you who is the product. Personally I would never use Google Fiber or any other Google products, but I understand the allure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin