Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 31,309 times

Advertisements

given following scenario:

current appraisal: $380k
purchase price: $450k
tax rate: 2.2%

question 1: does Travis CAD access the purchase price through MLS and bump the value to $450k after the purchase?
question 2: if I apply for Homestead, do I pay 80% of the appraised value and cap my annual increases at 10% - is that how it works ?

basically I am wondering if my annual taxes will be

a) $7920 ($450k * 0.8 * 0.022)
b) $9900 ($450k * 0.022)
c) $6688 ($380k * 0.8 * 0.022)

regards and thank in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:55 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,015,840 times
Texas is a non-disclosure state and TCAD does not have direct access to the purchase price. But as people dispute their values, they bring in purchase prices for comps and TCAD builds their data base that way, I would guess that your taxes will be based off an appraisal value closer to $400K

Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,785,542 times
Like centralaustinite said, Texas is a non-disclosure state so they should not know the purchase price unless you tell them. If you receive a questionnaire asking about price you paid, do not answer it.

The appraised values for this year have already been set. So if 380k is what your appraised value is, that is what you will pay taxes on this year. I think you'll be closest to the number you calculated for c), but the calculation is not entirely accurate. You do not get a 20% homestead exemption from every taxing entity -- they vary. The city of Austin, for example, gives only 6%. So there is a mix of effective exemption amounts within that 2.2% rate. Also, the rates you see right now are for last year. This years rates aren't finalized yet -- that happens late September. But they should be pretty close or a little bit lower (even though most everyone will pay more, because of the increase in property values).

The CAD website or traviscountytax.org should provide an estimated tax total based in the current appraised values and last year's rates. If the property had a homestead exemption, it will be reflected in that estimate and *I think* you'll get that exemption this year (but you still want to apply for your own for the future). If it didn't have the exemption on Jan 1 2016, you won't get it this year, but you'll get it next year. Either way the website estimate of taxes should be pretty close to correct for this year.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 31,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Like centralaustinite said, Texas is a non-disclosure state so they should not know the purchase price unless you tell them. If you receive a questionnaire asking about price you paid, do not answer it.

The appraised values for this year have already been set. So if 380k is what your appraised value is, that is what you will pay taxes on this year. I think you'll be closest to the number you calculated for c), but the calculation is not entirely accurate. You do not get a 20% homestead exemption from every taxing entity -- they vary. The city of Austin, for example, gives only 6%. So there is a mix of effective exemption amounts within that 2.2% rate. Also, the rates you see right now are for last year. This years rates aren't finalized yet -- that happens late September. But they should be pretty close or a little bit lower (even though most everyone will pay more, because of the increase in property values).

The CAD website or traviscountytax.org should provide an estimated tax total based in the current appraised values and last year's rates. If the property had a homestead exemption, it will be reflected in that estimate and *I think* you'll get that exemption this year (but you still want to apply for your own for the future). If it didn't have the exemption on Jan 1 2016, you won't get it this year, but you'll get it next year. Either way the website estimate of taxes should be pretty close to correct for this year.

thanks - great response. But the reason I asked is a real estate agent that mentioned something in the passing "yeah, county can access the MLS data now and you can bet they are!". Didn't go into the details since it was at a bar - so here I am ... drunk talk or real deal?

cheers!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:16 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,033,797 times
drunk talk

Old 08-20-2016, 10:25 PM

743 posts, read 1,359,406 times
While it's technically a non-disclosure state, we bought a new house and when we went to protest this year, they had our purchase price.

So sometimes they still get it (and no, we did not provide it).

Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 PM

743 posts, read 1,359,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit_xc View Post
thanks - great response. But the reason I asked is a real estate agent that mentioned something in the passing "yeah, county can access the MLS data now and you can bet they are!". Didn't go into the details since it was at a bar - so here I am ... drunk talk or real deal?

cheers!
Per my comment above (TCAD had access to our purchase price), the rep we spoke to at a tax protest company told us that it's becoming more common for TCAD to get MLS data. Not sure why or how, but it's happening.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:22 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Per my comment above (TCAD had access to our purchase price), the rep we spoke to at a tax protest company told us that it's becoming more common for TCAD to get MLS data. Not sure why or how, but it's happening.
Many, if not most, tax protesters bring in MLS sales data for comps to the property they are protesting. TCAD then enters that data into their database. I have not used a professional protest company, but if they are bringing in MLS comps to protest appraisals, then TCAD is not swimming in them - and all obtained legally, not directly through the MLS.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,810,079 times
Given how easy it is to get MLS data (via Redfin or a few other places) what is to stop a TCAD employee from just looking up your home, seeing it was sold last year, and using that as a basis?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Given how easy it is to get MLS data (via Redfin or a few other places) what is to stop a TCAD employee from just looking up your home, seeing it was sold last year, and using that as a basis?
Exactly. Redfin skirts the non-disclosure law, and I seriously object to them doing so, not just as an agent, but as a property owner and Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: