Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnative69 View Post
Three blocks away from an actual address i got off of that website:

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/460.../home/31710919

sorry, my bad, it sold for $205K.
Clicked on the link and redfin estimates it to be worth 303K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:08 AM

129 posts, read 160,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Clicked on the link and redfin estimates it to be worth 303K.
Hah! I estimate that my house should sell for $600K, but what matters is that that house sold for $205K a few months ago.

Admittedly, yes, the houses around it were selling for $250 -- $300, but don't be a jackass.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnative69 View Post
Hah! I estimate that my house should sell for $600K, but what matters is that that house sold for $205K a few months ago.

Admittedly, yes, the houses around it were selling for $250 -- $300, but don't be a jackass.

I said there were a few sub-300K houses, and you pulled out the lowest one you could find that was around 900sf , and was probably foreclosed. I never said it was "sub-200K" either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnative69;

I know this is slightly off topic, but do all of you think the same thing about this [B
sub-$200K[/b] neighborhood who are having similar concerns?

https://southwoodresident.wordpress.com/contact/

Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM

yeah -- you really told me off. good lord...

Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I think it is incumbent upon any neighborhood arguing against nearby development to say what they think is a reasonable compromise rather than just 'this will make traffic worse, therefore no.' Much like environmental concerns -- it isn't that they aren't valid concerns; it's that many people feel that, simply by raising a (safety|traffic|environment) flag over development, that their concern trumps what is often millions of dollars in purchases and planning.

It's not unreasonable to imagine a combination of those concerns that DOES trump those things, but too many neighborhoods just take reactive positions of 'no, nothing, never' and I don't see any credibility there.

My house is opposite a golf course in East Austin. I don't like Golf but it's pretty. If they tore it up and put in a strip mall, I'd be disappointed, but I haven't got any standing to stop them from doing that.

Similarly, there will probably be a bond election next year for a new school here in Mueller. The calculus your COA taxpayer does is (if we assume they care about it) an analysis of the costs and benefits, the impact on nearby schools and neighborhoods -- it's a "imagine you're the dictator of Austin --- would you do this?" question, because for most people, it doesn't impact them personally at all.

If you live a few blocks away and you're currently zoned to Garcia and Reagan, you probably don't get past the self interest of "this will do wonders for my property values, plus I don't have send my kids to Garcia! huzzah."

That's human nature. The problem is when people in the later group (me in the above example, Southwood in your example) try to make the leap from their self interest to the best interests of the city. You don't want traffic or density in the way that's being proposed -- fine; but give us a better idea.
Hi, I saw the you were referencing the quick catch-all site we created to capture info about the proposed rezoning/development in Southwood, and thought I'd join your conversation! It's interesting to see other people's perspectives.
I pulled that site together a couple of days ago, because there is a fast-track rezoning bid going before the Zoning & Planning Commission in only a couple of weeks, which many of us were blindsided by. That property has been undeveloped for more than half a century because of its awkward location next to the railroad spur. There was no for sale sign posted, the only way I became aware of it was because I live within 500 ft, so legally the city needed to alert me.
We're not experts in zoning, real estate, engineering or flood mitigation...so trying to track down all the information and learning all the lingo over a few short weeks has been a hurdle. It seems a bit unfair to put residents who are busy with other priorities, up against connected Developers. This should be something that is more community minded, but as residents we have no advocate. We are actively looking for people who have that sort of expertise to provide guidance.
I don't know if you looked at the entire site, but for me, the most compelling thing is that the City has been actively buying people out of their homes because of flooding and has admitted it doesn't have the funds to buy out all the homes that Army Corp of Engineers identified being with a deadly floodplain. Here's a link to the City of Austin buy out map. http://wp.me/P7Q9rp-3
So really lives and homes are at stake here, this isn't merely an aesthetic bid against development. If you have ideas of how to help mitigate flooding, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwoodResident View Post
Hi, I saw the you were referencing the quick catch-all site we created to capture info about the proposed rezoning/development in Southwood, and thought I'd join your conversation! It's interesting to see other people's perspectives.
I found your link on the FAN site where you were asking for their help in decreasing the density of the new development in your neighborhood. While that was probably not the audience that is going to sympathize, I was actually impressed with their responses.

I just wanted to demonstrate to this forum that this isn't just about people with $600k houses, that this issue hits working and middle class as well.

I do hope someone here can assist you.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Ott and Spillar issue beatdown of Bull Creek coalition.

http://www.twcnews.com/content/dam/N...or&Council.pdf

http://www.twcnews.com/content/dam/N...he%20Grove.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin