Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 18,348 times

Advertisements

I have been to many properties like Rancho Sienna in Liberty Hill, Trails at Shady Oaks in Leander, The Commons at Rowe Lane at Pflugerville

One thing I noticed rates are lower in Pflugerville even when the schools are rated good, any specific reasons? Is crime rate high?

I liked Rancho Sienna but its disadv is its far and no stores nearby, in Leander area its tough to find anything under 300 but Pflugerville has options. Can someone help me with why there is a difference in rates in Pflugerville as compared to Round Rock or Leander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvaustin247 View Post
I have been to many properties like Rancho Sienna in Liberty Hill, Trails at Shady Oaks in Leander, The Commons at Rowe Lane at Pflugerville

One thing I noticed rates are lower in Pflugerville even when the schools are rated good, any specific reasons? Is crime rate high?

I liked Rancho Sienna but its disadv is its far and no stores nearby, in Leander area its tough to find anything under 300 but Pflugerville has options. Can someone help me with why there is a difference in rates in Pflugerville as compared to Round Rock or Leander
Rates? Tax rates? Those will vary quite a bit from city to city, MUD to MUD...important to look at the total cost of utilities and services in addition to tax rates.

Apologies if you refer to a different "rate".

Old 09-08-2016, 03:40 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
You can find homes for $300k and under in Leander, though I don't know what your requirements are for a home. If you're wondering why there are more options in your price range in Pflugerville than the other suburbs, my thoughts are as follows:

Schools - That area of Pflugerville is zoned to consistently great schools at least through middle school, but the ISD overall is perceived to be weaker than RRISD. Leander ISD is also perceived to be pretty strong but few of the strong schools are actually found in Leander (go figure). I'd say that the schools located in Leander proper are probably on par with Pflugerville's but the marketing hucksters try and rope people in with the premise of kids "attending Leander ISD" (similar to "attending RRISD!" when the district is large and the zoned RRISD schools could be marginal).

Topography - Unfortunately, Pflugerville was largely farmland. The tsumami of development didn't help either. Almost all newer developments are devoid of trees, hills, etc. There is this perception of flatness, though there is a lake and older areas of Pflugerville have mature trees. Meanwhile, there are parts of Leander that are quite scenic. Though at your price range, you'd probably get a flat, no-view, subdivision lot with a house so the topographic advantage is probably negated.

Other things: Leander has the train. That's probably the smartest thing the pubahs there ever did. Pflugerville still is dominated by the car but the tollroad has definitely opened things up. For years Pflugerville was thought of as a bedroom community with little amenities. Not so anymore.

But truth be told, having lived in Pflugerville for ten years, and Round Rock for a little over a year, all of the suburbs are pretty much even as far as I'm concerned. Pflugerville is still relatively low in crime and is coming in to its own. It has a lot to offer and is growing exponentially year after year. Trust me on that one..I've watched it transform from a transitioning town to a full fledged suburb. It has good, progressive political leadership and things are only going to go up. If anything, take advantage of your options now before you'll have a hard time finding something there, too. I say this because seven years ago, there'd be few homes in the $300k price range in Pflugerville - most would be in the $200s and below. Nowadays, builders are regularly asking for $300k and up, including $400k.

Good luck with your home buying decision.

I drive through Pflugerville every day and just shake my head at all the growth.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Rates? Tax rates? Those will vary quite a bit from city to city, MUD to MUD...important to look at the total cost of utilities and services in addition to tax rates.

Apologies if you refer to a different "rate".
Thanks for the response, by rates I meant prices, i looked on a plan from a builder, same is offered in Pflugerville and Leander but its costing 270K in Pflugerville and 310K in Leander.

Just want to make sure I am not compromising family safety for the price. INputs?

Old 09-08-2016, 06:49 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,446 times
Some parts of pflugerville have had some issues with crime.. Anything super serious that doesn't occasionally happen elsewhere? Not completely however it seems a little more common.

For what's it worth I don't live there so I can't tell you for certain on particular areas just what I hear. I'm in Leander- love it here. Pflugerville has a lot going for it too. Just depends what your looking for.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvaustin247 View Post
Thanks for the response, by rates I meant prices, i looked on a plan from a builder, same is offered in Pflugerville and Leander but its costing 270K in Pflugerville and 310K in Leander.

Just want to make sure I am not compromising family safety for the price. INputs?
See my post. And that area of pflugerville is very safe. I don't know where you're from but violent crime is pretty low. Property crime is an issue both in pflugerville and elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
I like Pflugerville, I like wide open spaces and there is something in the sky and land there that is reminiscent of West Texas, feels very "real" to me. So many of the far NW suburbs like Cedar Park and Leander just feel too cookie cutter and master planned -- yet almost the exact same homes in Pfville don't push my buttons, I finally figured out that it is the topography. I wouldn't worry about crime in either area.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 PM

33 posts, read 69,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I like Pflugerville, I like wide open spaces and there is something in the sky and land there that is reminiscent of West Texas, feels very "real" to me. So many of the far NW suburbs like Cedar Park and Leander just feel too cookie cutter and master planned -- yet almost the exact same homes in Pfville don't push my buttons, I finally figured out that it is the topography. I wouldn't worry about crime in either area.
I know this is an old post but if you see this can you explain the difference in the topography between Leander/Cedar Park/Round Rock and Pflugerville? I’ve been kind of wondering about the differences in the land of each area.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfadaway View Post
I know this is an old post but if you see this can you explain the difference in the topography between Leander/Cedar Park/Round Rock and Pflugerville? I’ve been kind of wondering about the differences in the land of each area.
In REALLY round numbers, your listing goes in order from hilliest and rockiest to flattest and clay soilest. That's VERY general as you can find a hill in Pf-ville and can find flat land in Cedar Park/Leander for sure. The western edge of Leander has some gorgeous hilly vistas.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM

33 posts, read 69,302 times
So Leander would be the “hilliest” and Pflugerville would be the flattest? But the poster “centralaustinite” likes Pflugerville better? I’m curious as to what he likes better about Pflugerville being that it seems to be mostly on the flat side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin