U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM

32 posts, read 53,014 times
Default San Diego to Austin

Hello there,

My husband and I are heading out to see the Austin area next Thursday and we are practically going out there pretty blind. We have two small children and are looking for a family-oriented town on the outskirts of Austin. So far, Georgetown is looking very nice and Dripping Springs. But what about Hutto, Kyle, Buda, Leander, Cedar Park. Are these also places that we would be interested in? We obviously are going to rent for the first few months we are out there to see which areas we like the best. I have never done an out of state move before so I am sort of wondering where to begin. What should we watch out for? What should we look for? Where should we visit? My husband is an electrician and I teach The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth. So, I am going to want to visit the local birth centers. My sister will also be going to the UT in August so thankfully, we will have some family out there So, I might want to be somewhat close, or atleast a driving distance of an hour or so. Anyway, any help would be awesome, I don't know where to start. So, some jumping off points might be helpful. Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 PM

112 posts, read 465,400 times
Welcome!

We moved here from San Diego last year and setlled in Round Rock. Round Rock is a nice suburb who has a very good school system and family centered town. It is about 15 miles north of downtown.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,593,993 times
Round Rock is 15 miles north of downtown but not an easy drive by any means. To me it seems further away. I would consider SW Austin, that's still Austin and it's pretty.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 PM

8,613 posts, read 15,379,361 times
Actually, I disagree with RR being a hard drive to downtown. Although, I guess if you looked SW you wouldn't really have to go 35 to get downtown. But I will point out that there are alternate back routes from almost anywhere, so you almost really don't have to drive 35 to get everywhere. Hutto is right next to Round Rock. That's where I'm at. Now that the toll road is in, for us it's very easy to get into downtown. However, I'm a SAHM and my husbands job isn't downtown, it's in North Austin so unless we're going downtown for fun, we do everything else around this area. Georgetown is about 15 miles North of Hutto and Round Rock. I for one like Hutto. It's a small town still but is growing a lot. It's also not flat as a board as some people will tell you. but nothing East of 35 is topographically the same as West of 35. The only school district East of 35 that is not good is Elgin. Everything else is good. Note: East of downtown is the only part of Austin that would be the less desireable area. East 35 is a different story. (Also North East and South East). Sorry if that's confusing...Hope you figured it out

Old 02-23-2008, 06:26 AM

2,339 posts, read 5,810,574 times
I am in Leander/Cedar Park area and its a nice very family oriented area. I say Leander and Cedar Park cause we are looking to buy right now and we are staying with in Leander ISD cause we are having a good experience with those schools and thats the ISD area with one neighborhood in Round rock. Anyway very quite area lots to do within a fairly short drive. Spouse works in North Austin so pretty easy drive. I have to add that east of 35 I think the Del Valle schools are not that good either.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,593,993 times
SW Austin is right off of Mopac. You never see 35 when you live in SW Austin. I think you are confused with Southeast Austin.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,857,654 times
How long do you get to stay?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,046,326 times
What are you looking to spend?

Are you looking for more Conservative (bubba), Moderate, or Progressive area?

Is shopping or diversity important?

Where will you be working?

Lots of areas to choose from...i would identify elementary schools that interest you, figure out (answer) the answers to above, & then you can narrow it down & folks can offer laser accurate opinions.

Some Leander schools are great....some not so good. Some areas are bubba....some more progressive. Some are lilly white, some are more diverse (Asian, Latin etc.) Some people's idea of "shopping" is Walmart & Home Depot....some folks wouldn't.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM

112 posts, read 465,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Round Rock is 15 miles north of downtown but not an easy drive by any means.
They are moving from San Diego. Traffic anywhere in Austin is in no comparison to San Diego. Before moving here, everyone told me that I need to avoid I-35 at all cost. Now I am driving I-35 to work every day from RR to Parmer. It is a straight shot with a slowing down (40-50 miles/h) at couple of spots. If you every commute on I-5 or I-15, you will know what the traffic really means and appreciate driving in I-35.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 PM

15,931 posts, read 20,950,994 times
We live outside of Jarrell (15 miles north of Georgetown), and my husband's commute to his business in North Austin is about 45 minutes to an hour. Using back ways, I can get to my daughter's home in Lakeway (West/Southwest) in about an hour. So Round Rock, closer in than Georgetown, is definitely within the hour drive to Austin, especially if someone clues you in to the alternate routes to use when there's a wreck on IH35 or 183. ;-)

And, yes, where you'll want to go depends on answers to the questions that hound 109 asked about your basic interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin