Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:50 PM

477 posts, read 524,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klye View Post
I see your point. So really its a wash overall. Trading Rain for Sun.
If you haven't spent a lot of your life in a hot part of the country, you may find the constant sun and 100 degrees almost as stifling as the rain. It's true you can always find some water to cool off in, but if you aren't in the water being outside is pretty miserable, to me at least. I was also a person that wanted to get away from the rain but now I love it when it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,811,257 times
Quote:
"housing is completely unreasonable."

She and her husband make about $250k.
I'm not sure what's unreasonable about it given that real estate data is available to just about anyone. On a $250k annual income you can live pretty much anywhere you want. Tough to feel sorry for these folks.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
I see your point. So really its a wash overall. Trading Rain for Sun.
Predicting 94 degrees tomorrow...deep into October.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:13 PM

145 posts, read 172,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I'm not sure what's unreasonable about it given that real estate data is available to just about anyone. On a $250k annual income you can live pretty much anywhere you want. Tough to feel sorry for these folks.
One would think smart, educated people would do their research. Unfortunately, as you see here every day, there are many romantics who only see the cool and the hip. They ask for advice and then close their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears - "oh, the traffic can't be that bad!" and "I love warm weather" and "but housing is so expensive in (insert here), it's gotta be less in Austin".

By the way, I don't feel sorry for them. I just waited until after we parted before I laughed out loud.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 PM

375 posts, read 316,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
If you haven't spent a lot of your life in a hot part of the country, you may find the constant sun and 100 degrees almost as stifling as the rain. It's true you can always find some water to cool off in, but if you aren't in the water being outside is pretty miserable, to me at least. I was also a person that wanted to get away from the rain but now I love it when it rains.
I love a stretch of gloomy, rainy weather. Add coolish temps, even better. I've lived here a long time and find the unrelenting heat and sun almost depressing sometimes.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,942,658 times
Quote:
Austin is very hot atleast 4 months out of the year but In Portland it rains nonstop for 8 months on an average year. I hate the rain. I am already paying over $1,400 a month to live in a 2 bed 1 bath somewhat decent unit in a good area. Portland housing costs are the highest rising in the nation at 12% overall last time I checked, in the long term I will never afford a house here. I am looking for some sort of comparison possible from someone who has lived in both Portland and Austin as to what they think about the move..

This is the beginning of why I would want to move south for those of you wondering. Austin is also similar to the things I like in Portland like the food carts everywhere and pubs to grab a drink at. I am an avid paddle boarder as this is really big here in Portland and Seattle but the weather does not permit making it a year-round hobbie.
As of September 2016, one bedroom apartments in Austin rent for $1271 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $1601. That's average for all of the Austin area. Rents in the areas where the cool kids always want to live are significantly higher. https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...n-rent-trends/ And you'll make less than you do in Portland -- once you find a job.

Austin summers are much hotter than you imagine. And those gloomy rain days that bum you out? Winters are cold. It's frequently dark and gloomy and temperatures can dip into the teens easily. We get snow occasionally. Our ice storms bring the city to a screeching halt. You won't be giving away your North Face. And you haven't seen rain until you see it in Texas.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,811,257 times
Quote:
"but housing is so expensive in (insert here), it's gotta be less in Austin".
As an East coast transplant, though, this is still true!

There are cities on the East coast that are cheaper than Austin but any of them that really "top" Austin in my book are still more expensive.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,273,708 times
Funny you guys bring up the oppressive summers. I firmly believe that we get Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in Austin just like they do in Portland and Seattle, except that instead of months of gloom, it's months of horrendous heat. You become a prisoner of your house and/or can only do indoor activities because it is so miserable outside. Usually by mid-August everyone is angry and depressed due to endless heat with no relief in sight until October-ish (but even then that is not always true, just look at the temps today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin