Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 5,107 times

Advertisements

I just did a recent post here.
Relocating to Austin from Florida... need help!

I came across these apartments and wanted to ask if anyone is familiar of them or knows if they are in a good area? NXNE Apartments

Ideally, we would like to be near some decent shopping and restaurants. Does anyone know if this area has a good selection of those?

I would be working on 9001 N. I-35 (zip code 78753). Mapquest says these apartments are only 7.1 miles away.

Would this be a pretty easy commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 PM

145 posts, read 173,621 times
Easy rule of thumb: for most of the year, you can multiply the number of miles by 3 to get an estimate of time. 7 miles is 21 minutes. That varies by any number of factors but it's an easy way to estimate.

Go to Google maps and map it by using their 'Leave at' feature. Add in a fudge factor as that's a number averaged out across the year. Austin traffic is a bit better when UT and k-12 schools are not in session.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
When I was commuting from south of rundberg to wells branch ivsaw people sitting to get out of that complex's driveway all the time during rush hour. You'd have to drive up a ways to get to the turn around to go south....unless there's a back way out to a side street with a light I'd say no.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
I'm familiar with the area and think you have the things you mentioned in the general area, but it's not exactly in the heart of the action and you would need to have a car while living there. The complex you mentioned seems nice, but be careful, since some apartments in Wells Branch can be kinda scuzzy. Long story short, you would have an HEB fairly close and various restaurants and bars, but I don't think the area is that exciting.

After reading your other post, I think considering living in The Domain could be an option. It isn't too far from where you both work and there are a lot of restaurants and things to do. If that's not your thing, I'd recommend getting an apartment off Burnet Rd or Lamar Blvd (south of 183). Both roads have a lot of restaurants and are walkable and served by numerous bus lines. Lastly, if you want something more low key, but not in the WB area, there are a few complexes which have sprung up on Parmer Ln; Many people who live there are in your age group and some have kids, too. I used to live near the Appleplex and it wasn't uncommon to see kids playing in the pool with their parents. Now I live in the Crestview area, so I don't really see that at our apartment complex.

Hope this helps :-).

Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Considering you are going to be working at Rackspace, you might want to mention what your budget is going to be. You might be living a lot closer to your work than you think.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM

Is public transportation common in Austin? We both have vehicles, so we wouldn't need to rely on a bus system.

It sounds like the Domain Area might be best. However, it seems like a lot of the apartments there lead right out to sidewalks/public streets. We are looking for a spacious apartment community, preferably gated. We have two dogs, so it's important at night just to be able to walk out our front door and be able to take them on a grassy area to do their business.

We do want to be near decent shopping and restaurants, but not smack in the middle of it. We have lived in downtown style apartments before where you have to walk through a lobby just to come and go. It's a pain in the butt when you have dogs. That's why we would like to be in a gated, grassy community, where we can just walk out of our first floor apartment door and take them for a walk within our community. More privacy.

Can you recommend any apartments that might fit that criteria? We also liked updated, well-kept areas. (updated appliances, etc)

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:20 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
It's kind of funny you're worried about being near "shopping and restaurants". Austin is covered in shopping and restaurants. Do you honestly think you could be living "too far from a restaurant"? It sounds like you've never lived or even been in any city.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Well, I am 100 percent unfamiliar with Austin, which is why I came on this forum to ask questions.

And there is a difference between being close to a few random chain stores and a mcdonalds versus being near prime shopping and restaurants.

Thanks for the lack of help, though!

Last edited by FLtoTX08; 10-20-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoTX08 View Post
Is public transportation common in Austin? We both have vehicles, so we wouldn't need to rely on a bus system.

It sounds like the Domain Area might be best. However, it seems like a lot of the apartments there lead right out to sidewalks/public streets. We are looking for a spacious apartment community, preferably gated. We have two dogs, so it's important at night just to be able to walk out our front door and be able to take them on a grassy area to do their business.

We do want to be near decent shopping and restaurants, but not smack in the middle of it. We have lived in downtown style apartments before where you have to walk through a lobby just to come and go. It's a pain in the butt when you have dogs. That's why we would like to be in a gated, grassy community, where we can just walk out of our first floor apartment door and take them for a walk within our community. More privacy.

Can you recommend any apartments that might fit that criteria? We also liked updated, well-kept areas. (updated appliances, etc)

Thanks so much for your help!
I'm going to push you towards Mueller again. The Domain "area" itself is suburban and you will come out to public streets and be in the middle of things. If you live right in the Domain it will be the "walking through lobbies" that you mentioned you hate. The Mosiac apartment complex at Mueller, while not gated, has controlled access gates and court yard areas that you can walk your dogs in. With that being said, you're also right up against a trail that will allow you to walk your dogs. I see people frequently letting their dogs off leash to run around. Although that's officially not legal all the dogs I've seen like this have been well behaved and polite. You are also very close to restaurants and some shopping at Mueller. There is a Le Madeline, Pieology, Chipotle, some Pho, an Old Navy, Marshalls, Best Buy and grocery store all within a relative walking distance of the Mosaic (although I'd drive unless I really wanted to get the exercise....well..no...it's about a half a mile to those things so not too bad). Looking at the prices of the Mosaic you might be pushing your budget a bit. The Amli is similar but a bit further from the things I mentioned (maybe three quarters of a mile versus a mile). In addition, without traffic getting the the shopping of the Domain is like a 15 minute drive. 20 to get to the Round Rock outlets and about a 10 minute drive downtown.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Look at the Gables Central Park apartments on 38th Street and Guadalupe. Great central location with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Plenty of green space within the complex and right next to a big park with a great walking trail. Easy commute to your workplace. Gated community and well maintained. And it's within your budget. Pretty much everything you're looking for in a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin