Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We are a married couple with a school aged child. We like established, tree-lined leafy neighborhoods that would be described as family oriented. We don't care for brand new neighborhoods. Schools are critically important, but we also like the idea of being not that far from a walkable downtown with it's bookstores, outdoor cafes, etc. I also love having access to nice parks.
You probably would like the 78749 zipcode (Legend Oaks, Western Oaks, Village at Westaern Oaks). Good schools, mature trees, decent houses.

You'd have to live on the southern edge of VAWO to attain anything close to "walkable" city type lifestyle. But from there, you can indeed walk to the shops and restaurants at Escarpment/Slaughter Ln. and to Dick Nichols park.

There are few places in Austin where you don't have a park within walking distance.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Quote:
Does each area have an overall vibe, and are the demographics that much different? Does one area have nicer nabes and more trees? Thanks

There are many nice neighborhoods close to Congress and within walking distance to many of the shops you might like. I don't know how much you're looking at spending but there are places off of Academy and Congress (east of Congress), then Travis Heights all the way south to Oltorf near Stacy Park. A small enclave of homes nestled between Oltorf on the north and St Eds to the south and between Congress and Travis HS. Older homes but still a nice neighborhood. Barton Hills like someone else said but that's closer to Lamar and Barton Springs. Then there's the Bouldin Neighborhood located between Congress and just a little east of South 1st to as far south as Oltorf. You could probably get into a home in any of these areas for the same you'd spend in SW Austin.

Please don't get me wrong. SW Austin is very nice with beautiful homes and neighborhoods too. The only draw back is you would not be within walking distance to anything retail. The exception would be that you would probably be close to neighborhood park or swimming pool depending on which neighborhood you choose to live.

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
But it will be a smaller house for more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
There are many nice neighborhoods close to Congress and within walking distance to many of the shops you might like. I don't know how much you're looking at spending but there are places off of Academy and Congress (east of Congress), then Travis Heights all the way south to Oltorf near Stacy Park. A small enclave of homes nestled between Oltorf on the north and St Eds to the south and between Congress and Travis HS. Older homes but still a nice neighborhood. Barton Hills like someone else said but that's closer to Lamar and Barton Springs. Then there's the Bouldin Neighborhood located between Congress and just a little east of South 1st to as far south as Oltorf. You could probably get into a home in any of these areas for the same you'd spend in SW Austin.

Please don't get me wrong. SW Austin is very nice with beautiful homes and neighborhoods too. The only draw back is you would not be within walking distance to anything retail. The exception would be that you would probably be close to neighborhood park or swimming pool depending on which neighborhood you choose to live.

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Smaller house? Many are two story. Of course, in Austin what you give up in size of home you gain in yard and vice versa. Not always but usually. So, just gotta decide if you want a sprawling McMansion that's feet away from your neighbor and no yard or decent sized home with a yard for kids, pets, outdoor grilling, wildlife, or outdoor parties, or landscaped with trees.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
These threads describing neighborhoods in and around Austin are getting unbelievable. The people with less money are described as no-good criminals while the same set of people with more money are labeled as quote - eclectic - unquote. This is really whacked.

I've been on this board for only a few months now and I can tell you after reading hundreds of threads like this one I even started to think the same way. I started thinking that anything east of 35 should be avoided at all cost. I was wrong and it was a wake up call. However, now the opposite is happening. I'm starting to really dislike the areas where they think their poo doesn't stink. Talk to a septic guy, they can fill you in. I think some of the neighborhoods reek instead of vibe.
Now you know why I'm always spouting off whenever I run into threads or comments like that.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Now you know why I'm always spouting off whenever I run into threads or comments like that.
I most certainly do. We're going to have to do something about all this mis-information.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Thanks, Raskolnikov! (Crime and Punishment is one of my all time favorites). What do you think about Tanglewood West, Shady Hollow and Austin Lake Estates? We are hoping to find a house for under $300k. Do the neighborhoods you mentioned fall into that price range?
You might want to check out Meridian as well, it's 2 miles SW or Circle C and much more private. The new elementary school opens in Meridian in Fall of 2010, an added plus!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM

57 posts, read 150,773 times
I have to agree with Car957 south Austin is like any other part of Austin there is good and bad. Just because we are south of the river does not mean its gangland central.

DrJeff is spot on with his assessment. I have lived in Barton Hills and now live in Shady Hollow. The drive into downtown is about 15-20 minutes from Shady Hollow. It has a mix of older homes from 1970-1990 on big half acre or bigger lots with mature trees. You may not walk to bookstore or cafe, the closest place would be Maudie's or Baskin Robbins or The GameStop on Brodie & Slaughter about one mile north of SH. The homes are affordable generally priced between $230K-350K or if you look at The Estates of Shady Hollow (with even bigger lots) prices range from $400-700K. There are some kids in Shady Hollow, but our street is all retired folks so its nice and quiet. According to my neighbors the schools are pretty good: Bailey, Barranoff, and Bowie HS. Check them out at www.SchoolMatters.com or www.GreatSchools.com and decide for yourself.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-07-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM

I almost forgot! Austin Lake Estates does not have anything in walking distance but one "stop'n'rob" and one day care. They do have a wonderful homeowners park and boat launch within walking distance. They host parties their like neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt and 4th of July party for residents.
I saw a home last summer for about $270K on .34 of an acre. It was a three bed, two bath, two living, 3 carport home built in 80's that had been updated. Right now there are ten homes for sale in that subdivison and they range in price from $225K-$497K. Some are old and some are brand new construction. The lots range from .28-.60 of an acre. The homes average 2300SF and 96 Days on Market to sell.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
But it will be a smaller house for more money.
There are tons of places to walk to in southwest Austin. In Circle C you can walk to Waterloo Burgers, Santa Rita, Blue Bamboo, the Juice Bar, and The Satelite Cafe, and the ice cream shop I can't ever remember their name. There is also a nail salon and yoga spot as well as a mail/shipping store and of course a Starbucks etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin