Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

Hey,

So my husband and I are planning to relocate to either Austin or Charlotte, NC next year and can't decide on a city. We're in our early 30's, (30 and 32), both work at home full time. We're moving from Upstate NY and we're looking for a place with lots to do but that can allow you to settle down pretty comfortably when you want to. I feel like all of the info we get on both Austin and Charlotte is buried in layers of marketing garb & spin and I wanted to get the honest opinions of people who've lived in either city.

We're okay with renting to start but don't want to rent too long... want to be in a house in maybe 18 months and our budget will be $350-$400k. I guess we'll eventually have kids so a place where we can comfortably transition to that stage (more from a financial standpoint) would be ideal...

Core things we'd like feedback on is housing market... renting market...restaurant/nightlife scene...bad weather...diversity (we're an interracial couple so a more progressive area would be ideal)...crime...overall lifestyle/vibe of the city...

We worry we're too old for Austin but too young for Charlotte..what do y'all think?

Thanks!!

Last edited by alanabelle86; 11-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 PM

116 posts, read 226,249 times
How in the world did Charlotte make it into the final two?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
How much time have you spend in either place? I would really recommend a week's visit at least.

How well do you handle hot weather? And hot for a LONG time!

Your housing budget falls within a super competitive segment, it won't get you much within Austin proper anymore (hard to find a SFH), plenty of homes to buy far out but then you are in another world.

Crime: Austin is a very safe place overall. Great restaurants and nightlife, diversity? Austin is a majority Hispanic city, just barely. Not many AAs, about 8% of the population, Asians about 6% and rapidly rising but it is a pretty white place. Folks are live and let live for the most part.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 AM

483 posts, read 532,709 times
If you have ties to upstate NY and would like to travel back there with any frequency I would recommend Charlotte. Austin is a long long way from upstate NY.

It's been many years since I spent any significant time in Charlotte but overall I prefer the Austin and Texas culture and feel to the North Carolina culture and feel, FWIW. Charlotte does have the better weather in my opinion, summers here are long and brutally hot and people from the North East generally have the hardest time adjusting to it. In my personal case every fall I am about ready to lose my mind when it is 95 degress in October.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times
As far as climate and being within a few hours of lots of things to do- Charlotte. I kind of like access to mountains and better beaches though, and I don't like it hot all the time. But with both working at home though, I'd be more inclined to open it up to even more cities.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
If you have ties to upstate NY and would like to travel back there with any frequency I would recommend Charlotte. Austin is a long long way from upstate NY.

It's been many years since I spent any significant time in Charlotte but overall I prefer the Austin and Texas culture and feel to the North Carolina culture and feel, FWIW. Charlotte does have the better weather in my opinion, summers here are long and brutally hot and people from the North East generally have the hardest time adjusting to it. In my personal case every fall I am about ready to lose my mind when it is 95 degress in October.
Agreed, we are from western NY and it is tougher and more costly to get to and from Austin by far.

Not a big deal for me, but my wife would like family to be able to come down easier, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: