Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,101 times

Advertisements

Dell had a few openings that I applied for. Consider i am a lvl 2-3 Tech depending on what the job is that i should have a standing chance on getting my foot in the door as a lvl 1 Help desk. Did the interview, answer all the questions without one hesitation and 2 days later i get told i was pass over due to somebody having more experience. umm.. Hello, 10+ years working in this field and that is the excuse you come up with? so any dell techs here that could explain this. The job was just taking the calls and putting them in the proper que for senior techs to look at. I can do that sh with my eyes close much less solve the issue over the phone. Did i over sell my self? Should have play stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
It's Austin (I mean Round Rock...but...) everyone wants to be here. It's going to take more than one application to get a job in the city. And that's true in most fields in the city, not just tech.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
I get the feeling that you probably don't interview as well as you think you do. The job market is a competitive one, someone else interviewed and was deemed a better fit, that's it.

Just because you can do a job doesn't mean that you are owed that job. Perhaps you were considered over qualified or someone who would get impatient with the tedium, who knows. Best advice is to move on and keep looking.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I get the feeling that you probably don't interview as well as you think you do. The job market is a competitive one, someone else interviewed and was deemed a better fit, that's it.

Just because you can do a job doesn't mean that you are owed that job. Perhaps you were considered over qualified or someone who would get impatient with the tedium, who knows. Best advice is to move on and keep looking.

I get told that alot when I apply for some lower end jobs, just to get my foot in the door to move up. All i wanted is a chance, but i get what your saying. Next time, ill just play stupid and not oversell it.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I get told that alot when I apply for some lower end jobs, just to get my foot in the door to move up. All i wanted is a chance, but i get what your saying. Next time, ill just play stupid and not oversell it.
See, that can be a disqualification right there, employers want to fill a job, not have someone leave it for another job (even within the same company) within 6-12 months. People who are over-qualified are assumed to be already looking for other jobs and many (not all) employers steer away from them. No one wants their job to be a placeholder. Costs too much to hire and train someone. If you are trying to get a foot in the door, try temporary or contract work, most companies assume that someone doing temp work would be amenable to a permanent position.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
See, that can be a disqualification right there, employers want to fill a job, not have someone leave it for another job (even within the same company) within 6-12 months. People who are over-qualified are assumed to be already looking for other jobs and many (not all) employers steer away from them. No one wants their job to be a placeholder. Costs too much to hire and train someone. If you are trying to get a foot in the door, try temporary or contract work, most companies assume that someone doing temp work would be amenable to a permanent position.
I get it.. Just wanted a chance to prove it. Told them that i will stick with the job untill they want to move me up, prove that i am a value worker. Just lately, i been getting pass over to some fresh kid who would take the lower wages. Here us older folks with great experience getting push to the side, trying to provide for the family.

Lesson learn is Just go in with open mind, speak only what they ask for and dont over sell your self. Im even slimming down my resume a little to back off the experience to the min that most require.
Sad that we got to dumb our selfs down to get a job.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM

129 posts, read 160,581 times
Ok.

I'm not sure if you are applying for a client or enterprise role, but here is my advice. Get an entry-level certification. LPI, VCP, or MCP. All are inexpensive and easy to get.

This shows that you are serious and right now that is what everyone is looking for, even to take L1 calls. Dell hires from within, so it is always looking at a person with pipeline in mind.

The call director role is really not a technical role, they don't want someone who will try to do do any troubleshooting. They might have seen that and figured you wouldn't be a great fit.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
My neighbor worked for Dell and he said it was hell working there. He now works for apple and he says he loves his job.....

I can't speak for the rest....

Old 11-22-2016, 03:42 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Don't get discouraged over Dell. Its not the only manufacturer here. There's also Samsung, Expansion, and NXP soon to be Qualcomm, if not already to name a few. Those places pay fairly good and have excellent benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Dell had a few openings that I applied for. Consider i am a lvl 2-3 Tech depending on what the job is that i should have a standing chance on getting my foot in the door as a lvl 1 Help desk. Did the interview, answer all the questions without one hesitation and 2 days later i get told i was pass over due to somebody having more experience. umm.. Hello, 10+ years working in this field and that is the excuse you come up with? so any dell techs here that could explain this. The job was just taking the calls and putting them in the proper que for senior techs to look at. I can do that sh with my eyes close much less solve the issue over the phone. Did i over sell my self? Should have play stupid?

Old 11-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Don't get discouraged over Dell. Its not the only manufacturer here. There's also Samsung, Expansion, and NXP soon to be Qualcomm, if not already to name a few. Those places pay fairly good and have excellent benefits.
Thanks, just lost my job last week due to end of contract and business slow down. So im having to look, and sad thing is they did this at the worst possible time. But no fk were given... but karma can be their worst enemy. Former techs are spreading the word about the company i been working for on how they treat people and pay. Just was hoping to get something line out before this was going to happen. Any agencies that hire for these great companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin