Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:50 PM

25 posts, read 24,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
How long ago did she live here?!?

Only 6months, then she had to move back bc of her job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
"Bad traffic" is a relative thing. We lived near Boston for many years. Returning to central Texas and experiencing the effects of recent population growth was somewhat shocking--traffic was much worse than we remembered it. However, our commute from Georgetown into Austin is not as bad as the commute we had from our suburban MA home into Boston. I-35 at rush hour can be difficult, especially of there's an accident, and there are well-known bottlenecks where a slowdown is almost assured no matter the time of day. The toll road is usually faster. Back roads can be a good option but as new developments are built, these roads become busier too. The infrastructure just isn't keeping up with the increased population growth. Depending on where you work you can make smart choices about where you live to make your commute and accessibility to shopping and entertainment easier.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabon View Post
Only 6months, then she had to move back bc of her job
I think the question was "when" did she live here.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 PM

195 posts, read 216,534 times
Welcome to Texas. Georgetown is a great place to live. I love the square!
Your point about extensive research is spot on.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 13,025 times
Quote:
How is the traffic during rush times? We're also looking to relocate and we were looking into California for a LONG time but i seriously hate the traffic in LA and SO expensive so we recently looked into Austin. We're coming from a smallish town of (80-90K people) so traffic is not an issue here. I myself have never been to austin, but my fiance has. My sister used to live there but they both say traffic isn't that bad.
jabon: I am also looking to move to Austin from LA. I have heard that I-35 can be as bad as I-405, but not at 2 am. Only around peak hours.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLike View Post

The food here is OUTRAGEOUS. Outrageously good!!! There are so many unique restaurants everywhere, you will never eat at another gross national chain. I don't know why Applebees even exists down here! Just too many options to choose from! You will find BBQ everywhere. Seriously, everywhere. Like if you're not watching where you're going, a BBQ restaurant will smack you in the face. And it is GOOOOOOOOD. Same goes for tacos. The taco is king and I am his loyal subject.
I have lived here for two years and can't agree with you on this.....Can you please point me to these OUTRAGEOUSLY good restaurants that are not chains other than mexican or texmex, and or bbq??? Not that I don't love those , but some good diversity in the food area would be great.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
Restaurants aren't the thing I like most about GT, but we're happy here!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I have lived here for two years and can't agree with you on this.....Can you please point me to these OUTRAGEOUSLY good restaurants that are not chains other than mexican or texmex, and or bbq??? Not that I don't love those , but some good diversity in the food area would be great.
Try Asian Cuisine.

Try The Hollow.

I would say try Eats on 8th, but they burned and it will be a while before they are open again.

Haven't been there but I've heard good things about Scott's Oyster Bar. Likewise Blue Window Cafe.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
How is the traffic during rush times? We're also looking to relocate and we were looking into California for a LONG time but i seriously hate the traffic in LA and SO expensive so we recently looked into Austin. We're coming from a smallish town of (80-90K people) so traffic is not an issue here. I myself have never been to austin, but my fiance has. My sister used to live there but they both say traffic isn't that bad.
Austin area has approximately 2M people now, so lots of traffic is inevitable. Traffic here is bad during rush hours and that is generally picking up around 7 am and heavy by 7:30 in most areas. it stays pretty heavy until around 9:00 am and then things are decent until 4:01 when all the government workers are leaving the city. Afternoon pretty much stays busy from 4:01 until 6:00 or 6:30 and then calms down again.

I35 is the demon in this whole thing. As the primary N - S route through the metro, and one of a limited number of crossings over the river, it sucks. It almost always sucks. One car in distress or one accident and it sucks even more. general rule of thumb is to avoid I35 whenever possible. Supposedly a very large construction project on I35 north of Austin up to Georgetown will happen in a few (likely more) years and it will be a nightmare.

Others: If you look at 183, it gets really bad during rush hour but otherwise not too terrible. Hwy 71 near the airport seems to be a perennial work project with lane closures and traffic pattern changes daily. 290 is busy in the morning and evening but not too bad except where it joins I35 where it sucks.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Try Asian Cuisine.

Try The Hollow.

I would say try Eats on 8th, but they burned and it will be a while before they are open again.

Haven't been there but I've heard good things about Scott's Oyster Bar. Likewise Blue Window Cafe.
Ill check it out....

They are missing major ethnic foods out here big time. A lot of restaurants out here , I fully never understand. They are busy , yet they taste crappy and are lacking flavor. Yet people pile in and throw money at them.

Im looking for some real greek food. Real Pizza , and real Polish dogs and or Italian beef.

A Portillos is much needed here. That I do know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin