Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dakicka, check out this video and zoom to minute 9:30. It's a video of the top ten things to do in Texas and number one is "Staying with a local". The guys in the video say that Texas Southern hospitality is one of the best things they've ever experienced touring the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzqHzRP6He8

Incredible video, watched it all! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Austin area weather is not perfect, but compared to my hometown it is absolutely heavenly this time of year. Their highest temp in the next ten days is 26 degrees. They will get another 3-5" of snow on top of the 8" last weekend and will have numerous days struggling to get above zero.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/wi/minocqua

It is a tradeoff, heat versus cold. We also traded beautiful lakes and trees for mesquite and cedar - but found a career path that may actually include a viable retirement. In the meantime we enjoy learning new things and finding new adventures.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Austin has lakes but of course if you're from Michigan or Wisconsin it doesn't really compare. I've seen photos of WI and .Michigan lakes. Some of them look like beach resorts.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Austin area weather is not perfect, but compared to my hometown it is absolutely heavenly this time of year. Their highest temp in the next ten days is 26 degrees. They will get another 3-5" of snow on top of the 8" last weekend and will have numerous days struggling to get above zero.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/wi/minocqua

It is a tradeoff, heat versus cold. We also traded beautiful lakes and trees for mesquite and cedar - but found a career path that may actually include a viable retirement. In the meantime we enjoy learning new things and finding new adventures.
So you'd rather have 30-50 degrees and gloomy/rainy than 25 and snow? I can't see how it makes much difference. I come home and go inside because it's already dark, and it's cold outside, and there's mud everywhere. I'd do the same thing if I was up north.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:52 AM

Some of those temps can reach below zero when it gets extreme. Who wouldn't rather have Austin's temps? It gets cold but it's not great lakes cold.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
So you'd rather have 30-50 degrees and gloomy/rainy than 25 and snow? I can't see how it makes much difference. I come home and go inside because it's already dark, and it's cold outside, and there's mud everywhere. I'd do the same thing if I was up north.
This morning I sat down in my car and at 42 degrees I turned on the seat heaters to avoid a chill. My mothers house this morning was -1 degrees with wind chills approximately -20 degrees. Skin freezes in minutes at that temp. I'm not talking five or ten degree differences here, we are talking 50 degrees difference.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
This morning I sat down in my car and at 42 degrees I turned on the seat heaters to avoid a chill. My mothers house this morning was -1 degrees with wind chills approximately -20 degrees. Skin freezes in minutes at that temp. I'm not talking five or ten degree differences here, we are talking 50 degrees difference.
The weather sucks up there no doubt and that's why I don't live up there but extreme heat is as dangerous as extreme cold. Take this from someone that has hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon when it was 120 degrees at the bottom of the canyon and trying to sleep with a low of 95 degrees. I have also camped out in weather that was so cold our water froze and we couldn't melt it because it was in a plastic container. On that trip I got frostbite to my toes because I accidentally stepped on ice that cracked and my feet went into it and I never could warm them up. They both suck and are reasons to live in California to be frank.

With heating cold weather is easy to take, with air conditioning hot weather is easy to take. But you can't stay inside all day. The difference is in the types of activities you prefer to do. Do you prefer swimming and boating or snow skiing and ice fishing? Since I really don't like fishing to begin with, ice fishing had no lure to me.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Austin has lakes but of course if you're from Michigan or Wisconsin it doesn't really compare. I've seen photos of WI and .Michigan lakes. Some of them look like beach resorts.
They do but the season is short, maybe 3 months at best. Here you are guaranteed 6 months and up to 8 months of swimming weather and 9+ months of boating weather.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They do but the season is short, maybe 3 months at best. Here you are guaranteed 6 months and up to 8 months of swimming weather and 9+ months of boating weather.
Sweet! Which is why Hill Country Texas is tough to beat. Love it.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Since I really don't like fishing to begin with, ice fishing had no lure to me.
No lure...I see what you did there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin