Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,162 times

Advertisements

Okay everyone here is the deal, I am currently living in Georgia which I moved to with my parents about 3 years ago. I was born and raised on Long Island, New York before moving away from my hometown at the age of 20 cause my father retired after 21 years as an NYPD detective. We ended up in Georgia so we can take care of my grandparents. A little about me would be to explain that after moving here to Georgia I thought becoming a firefighter was going to be the best thing that could ever happen to me which turns out was a horrible idea cause ever since becoming a firefighter and being on the job for 2 years i realized the profession is just not for me. This lead to me finally realize how much I enjoy the medical field so I am deciding to pursue a nursing degree once i figure out where I want to live and to eventually reach my ultimate goal of becoming a CRNA. I have really been looking into the Austin Texas area (more specifically Bell county area). I have been looking at the housing prices and the cost of living and it is so nice honestly the houses and it costs so little compared to a lot of other states which really brings me in. Now the reason why i am on this forum is cause I don't want to end up making the wrong decision of moving to Texas cause I know that once I move this will be where I m stuck out for majority of my career. Was just looking if someone can give me some good advice of the PROS and CONS of living in Texas? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 05:49 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
You may want to post this in the general Texas forum. Bell county is a bit out of the Austin metro area for many solid answers for you.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Bell county is nowhere near or anything like Austin. I'm going to make a guess here, but if you don't enjoy Atlanta and you liked the city, you'll hate it there.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Why would you think you'd be stuck here? CRNA's might be one of the most transferrable/relocatable professions I can think of. The demand far exceeds the supply.

I guess if I were in your shoes I might first figure out how/where I'm going to obtain my nursing degree, then my CRNA (there are no CRNA programs in Austin--there are 5 accredited programs in Texas--4 if you don't want to go into the military).

And what are the chances that those 4 are right for you? There are approximately 114 CRNA programs in the US--my guess is that you'll more than likely end up in one not located in Tejas. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 AM

172 posts, read 177,513 times
Bell County may only be 2 counties away, but that's 70 miles from the center of Austin to Temple or Killeen. There's not much to do in that area. Austin is likely more suited for a 23 year old, but the cost of living could be a deal-breaker. 70 miles isn't too bad if you plan on living/working in Bell, then enjoying Austin on your time off.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You may want to post this in the general Texas forum. Bell county is a bit out of the Austin metro area for many solid answers for you.
Thank you and will probably do that.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:02 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
I think too you could perhaps fly into the DFW area and rent a car and drive to Austin and perhaps from there Houston, then drive Houston to DFW. I know that seems like a lot of driving, but in the end it's not a horrific amount and also you'd get to see three of the well-known cities in TX. I think like most other cities in the nation, housing prices are fairly high in all three cities, but there are still good enough areas in each. If you've never been to TX, it's hard to say which you'd like best. I know all three cities would have nursing jobs, but the pay would probably be better in DFW and Houston.

I guess though it depends which city really clicks with you. If you don't want to rent a car, you can also take the Megabus and AFAIK it still goes from Dallas to Austin, and I'd imagine Austin to Houston. If you want a smaller city, perhaps San Marcos might be a decent bet (somewhat near Austin).

Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Pay is going to be higher in Dallas or Houston, and expenses are going to be lower.

Dallas has more winter, and Houston has more flooding rain (in my opinion).

Austin has the best looking natural features of the 3 cities by far.

I agree, fly into DFW and spend a few days in each city and see what you like best.

Houston is closest to the water.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 PM

141 posts, read 105,137 times
How often do you plan to be in actual Austin. Bell County is a long distance away. If you plan on being in Austin on a regular basis, it's going to get old very fast with the amount of traffic and congestion.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian2147 View Post
Okay everyone here is the deal, I am currently living in Georgia which I moved to with my parents about 3 years ago. I was born and raised on Long Island, New York before moving away from my hometown at the age of 20 cause my father retired after 21 years as an NYPD detective. We ended up in Georgia so we can take care of my grandparents. A little about me would be to explain that after moving here to Georgia I thought becoming a firefighter was going to be the best thing that could ever happen to me which turns out was a horrible idea cause ever since becoming a firefighter and being on the job for 2 years i realized the profession is just not for me. This lead to me finally realize how much I enjoy the medical field so I am deciding to pursue a nursing degree once i figure out where I want to live and to eventually reach my ultimate goal of becoming a CRNA. I have really been looking into the Austin Texas area (more specifically Bell county area). I have been looking at the housing prices and the cost of living and it is so nice honestly the houses and it costs so little compared to a lot of other states which really brings me in. Now the reason why i am on this forum is cause I don't want to end up making the wrong decision of moving to Texas cause I know that once I move this will be where I m stuck out for majority of my career. Was just looking if someone can give me some good advice of the PROS and CONS of living in Texas? Thanks everyone!
Belton is a ways from Austin but its only about 30 miles from Georgetown and about 40 miles to Round Rock. Georgetown and Round Rock are both in Austin metro.
Round Rock has some good hospitals, and if I understand correctly, Texas A&M University is building a big medical school there.

Have you thought about checking out the city of Temple, TX? It's right down the road from Belton and has a population of about 70,000. Where Belton ends is where Temple begins and vice-a-versa. There's a big hospital in Temple. Baylor Scott and White Hospital I believe is the name of it and it's ranked among the best hospitals in the nation.

You might wanna look at Waco also. I think it's about 30 miles to Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin