Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,383 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are torn between two houses in Bella Colinas (Bee Caves) and Belterra (Austin / Dripping Springs).
They are about equally priced, same square footage etc..

I'm looking for some feedback about the two subdivisions in terms of family friendliness, amenities, resale value 4-5 years down the road, etc..
We are a young family of 4 (my kids are 5 and 3). And we are not your typical Texas Caucasian family (in terms of religion and looks), so diversity or at least being open minded is important. Last thing I want is taking my kids to school and my kids seeing or getting racial slurs..

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Where do you work? Will one make for a longer commute? I lean towards Belterra just because of proximity to town. I wouldn't be concerned about racial issues, as I don't think one area is more prone than the other. However, Lake Travis/Bee Caves area seems to be much more materialistic than Dripping Springs/Belterra. There just seems to be a lot more focus on what you wear, what you drive, etc. This is true for the parents as well as the kids.

Both neighborhoods are family-friendly with good schools, etc.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,383 times
Proximity to work is not a huge deal..
My work is at south mopac & barton skyway, but I have the option to work from home so commute is not a considerable factor in my decision.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
I don't know anything about Bee Cave so I can't comment intelligently on that topic. We rented in Belterra for a little over a year while we were building in Dripping. We have 3 kids in public schools here and love it (to brag just a little, my eldest, a junior, just scored a xx on his first ACT prior to any test prep, which he'll be starting in the spring, as we're optimistic he can get up to a xx). To say that we're big fans of DSISD is an understatement. That being said, I don't think it's the best district around--I think that's Eanes hands-down.

Dripping is growing rapidly. We've seen a tremendous transformation here in just the 2.5 years that we've lived here and it's only accelerating (we're getting our very first Starbucks soon). Some see this as a good thing. Others see it as a bad thing. It just is--whether you like it or not. There are brand new elementary and middle schools opening up on Sawyer Ranch next fall (of course Belterra has its own elementary school). Belterra is also getting a new, relatively large commercial shopping center right on 290 that should see the first stores opening in late 2017 I believe. Again--could be good or bad depending on one's perspective.

From a property value perspective, I think (and I put my money where my mouth is) that Dripping will continue to do well. The schools attract a lot of people that don't want Eanes or Lake Travis or Leander (they're all good/great districts to be sure). You can just look at the number of subdivisions currently under contruction (or planned) and see the projected potential growth over the next 5-10 years--it's quite staggering.

The biggest downside I see to Dripping is access to the City (primarily Hwy 290). We don't commute for work, but if we had to drive into Austin on a daily basis, we likely wouldn't have settled on Dripping, or at least would have maybe built over by Belterra in the Polo Club, as that saves a good 15 mins from where we are dowtown. As it is, we typically only go into town on the weekends or evenings (or I drive to/from the airport before/after rush hour) so it's not a big deal, but certainly something to be aware of.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by hts; 12-21-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM

15 posts, read 21,539 times
I hate to be the guy that keeps bringing up propane costs in Belterra...but please check if the whole Texas Community Propane covenant is still in place within the neighborhood. This was an issue 1+ years ago, so I dont have recent information but factor in this cost given that the square footage/home price is comparable. I caveat this not knowing what services Bella Colinas, so please take my comment with a grain of salt!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 PM

71 posts, read 167,802 times
Natural gas is used in Bella Colinas

Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,345 times
Most new houses in Belterra now use heat pumps (electric heat). Those units are efficient for the mild climate of Central Texas. Our propane cost for hot water heater and stove is about 35 month year around. Plus, property tax rate in Belterra (Hays County) high, around 3%.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
Question Any updates on the propane issues??

Any updates on the propane issues in belterra??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin