Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What this does is drive up the value of homes in Westlake for Austinites that would like a better district, depriving them of that option unless they are very wealthy, which in that case they would already be living in Westlake.

I understand it is legal but I don't believe it is fair.
Sorry, this doesn't make any sense - people moving to Westlake from Houston have no more or less claim to that district than people moving to Westlake from Austin. Neither group (Houston or Austin) has any claim to Westlake - no taxes paid in, no time 'served' in the district, etc. Westlake does not exist 'for Austinites'.

From a 30,000' observation, though - good schools in Texas are intractably tied into home values, despite Robin Hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
As I already mentioned he is only going to be driving it to and from work and school which is probably less than 1/2 a mile to work and less than 2 miles to school (maybe less) and it is temporary until he saves up at least 2500.00 which is half of what it will cost us to buy our neighbor's 12 year old Nissan Maxima. I imagine there are PLENTY of brand spanking new drivers driving huge SUVs and much much bigger trucks than ours which are much heavier and deadlier than our truck. I doubt you need to be worried about my son injuring you.
Maxima sounds perfect and don't worry my pick-em-up truck is bigger than the 150 so I feel safe!

Now tell us more about the Maxima so we can give you more advice, I have some important thoughts about standard transmissions and snapchat that I need to share...

Old 01-30-2017, 02:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Oh, yeah, I had a standard transmission 2002 Maxima. I would NOT put a kid in that car until he is on his own insurance and paying for his own speeding tickets....

Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Does this article not bother anyone?

Not one bit.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Maxima sounds perfect and don't worry my pick-em-up truck is bigger than the 150 so I feel safe!

Now tell us more about the Maxima so we can give you more advice, I have some important thoughts about standard transmissions and snapchat that I need to share...
It is our across the street neighbor's car and my husband has seen it and talked to our neighbor about selling it to us. It has been in their garage for several years as they never traded it in when they bought their new SUV (again this was several years ago). I think it has around 70,000 miles on it. It's automatic. I said it was 12 years but it may be 10 years old. I'll have to ask my husband. The roof of the car needs to be touched up because the paint has oxidized or something I guess. Same with the our truck's hood. In fact the truck really needs a new paint job but then it would really look pretty decent and I am sure some people on here would think it looked too "nice" for a 17 year old to drive. Better keep it looking like the beater it is. Better yet, maybe I should post a pic just to satisfy them.

Just asked my husband and he said he thinks it's a 2006 Maxima. Uh oh, probably much too nice of a car for my son.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:54 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Um, just how many miles do you think a 21 year old truck would have on it and how much do you think it would be worth? Also, you aren't me and guess what, it's paid for and we don't have money growing on trees at our house so for now that is what he is driving. And it may be a "status symbol" to you but it's not to us and if you could see it you would understand that. You still have not explained how driving a 21 year old truck makes someone entitled. I'm waiting.

Sure are a lot of people on here telling other people what they should or shouldn't do. I'm not going to justify our family's decisions and I am really not interested in what others think we should or should not do with our money and our son so don't bother giving me any more unsolicited advice. I didn't ask for it and I am certainly not going to take it.

Now I remember why I hardly ever post on this board...
Hey Aggie, my (17 y/o) kid drives a 14 year old GMC Truck with 180K miles (It's just like you're F150, but the GM version). You are right & they are wrong.

- A beater pick up is NOT a status symbol.
- It's paid for.
- It's SOLID & safe.
- If it gets a dent or a scratch (in the HEB or HS parking lot), who cares.
- He'll be popular with pretty girlfriends who will need help moving their stuff to college next year.

He might get a an Obama vintage vehicle in 2-3 years...or not.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Hey Aggie, my (17 y/o) kid drives a 14 year old GMC Truck with 180K miles (It's just like you're F150, but the GM version). You are right & they are wrong.

- A beater pick up is NOT a status symbol.
- It's paid for.
- It's SOLID & safe.
- If it gets a dent or a scratch (in the HEB or HS parking lot), who cares.
- He'll be popular with pretty girlfriends who will need help moving their stuff to college next year.

He might get a an Obama vintage vehicle in 2-3 years...or not.

Love it! Thanks! I agree with everything (except maybe the Obama car...don't see that happening!) lol!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
What this does is drive up the value of homes in Westlake for Austinites that would like a better district, depriving them of that option unless they are very wealthy, which in that case they would already be living in Westlake.

I understand it is legal but I don't believe it is fair.
1) There is no such thing as fair
2) when they move here they are austinites
3) westlake is not a part of austin anyway

Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
Quote:
Sure are a lot of people on here telling other people what they should or shouldn't do. I'm not going to justify our family's decisions and I am really not interested in what others think we should or should not do with our money and our son so don't bother giving me any more unsolicited advice. I didn't ask for it and I am certainly not going to take it.
Some sensitivity about "entitlement" I guess.

Yes, there are a lot of people on here telling people what they should or shouldn't do. You are telling us that your son drives a 20 year old truck that is in bad shape, and that should be admired. I simply offer some skepticism.

I have a 15 year old Mazda with 120,000 miles on it, and it's doing very nicely, thank you.

The way these boards work is as a discussion, where people get plenty of unsolicited advice. Might not be advice they want to hear. If you don't want to hear it, not being here might be smart. You're being pretty judgemental about this forum, don't you think? I'm entitled to say it, and you are entitled not to be here or to simply dismiss what I say. I try to say it politely and in the spirit of discussion. I am really not interested in how others might take serious offense at a comment that was hardly seriously offensive. There may be a problem here, but it isn't mine. Time to chill.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Love it! Thanks! I agree with everything (except maybe the Obama car...don't see that happening!) lol!
An Obama VINTAGE (2009 - 2016 model) vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin