Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:18 PM

895 posts, read 1,232,230 times

Advertisements

Homeless camp overwhelms south Austin greenbelt | KXAN.com

Maybe not downtown but how about your backyard? When will the city decide its time to fix the issue? Unbelievable that every damn intersection- underneath every damn highway- at every corner... you'll find homeless all over and shoot if your lucky enough you might have a whole community living in your backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,962,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Homeless camp overwhelms south Austin greenbelt | KXAN.com

Maybe not downtown but how about your backyard? When will the city decide its time to fix the issue? Unbelievable that every damn intersection- underneath every damn highway- at every corner... you'll find homeless all over and shoot if your lucky enough you might have a whole community living in your backyard.
This literally was the top post in the top thread on the board.

Did you really need to repeat it?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 PM

895 posts, read 1,232,230 times
Homeless problem va the fact that Austin is dirty looking? Yeah they aren't the same although maybe cooralated. However all in all seperate issues.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:11 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,454,030 times
And they are trashing the place too. Go figure.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
Panhandlers are not necessarily homeless...just sayin.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 PM

375 posts, read 316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Panhandlers are not necessarily homeless...just sayin.
Husband and I were sitting in the car after eating at a restaurant over near Parmer and 35 early last summer. We noticed a woman in the parking lot get out of an older SUV, fuss with her hair, change her top (it was hot so she put on a tank top type shirt), rummage in her car a few minutes, pulled out a folded cardboard sign and then walk to the intersection. She was panhandling. I was stunned. I had never seen anything like that before!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,107,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
I had never seen anything like that before!
Many years ago, when there were several huge aircraft type factories in the DFW area (Arlington, primarily), there was a limousine that would drop off panhandlers at the employee access gates just before shift change time, then pick them up again once the employees departed. It was an eye opener for me too at the time.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 3,554,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Husband and I were sitting in the car after eating at a restaurant over near Parmer and 35 early last summer. We noticed a woman in the parking lot get out of an older SUV, fuss with her hair, change her top (it was hot so she put on a tank top type shirt), rummage in her car a few minutes, pulled out a folded cardboard sign and then walk to the intersection. She was panhandling. I was stunned. I had never seen anything like that before!
There is a fairly well-dressed man who has a sign about his son having cancer that has been running his scam for a few years now. My wife stopped and talked to him one day and for someone who was desperately trying to save his son from cancer, he sure didn't know much about that malady. He moves around. He has been on South Lamar and he has been at the "Y" in Oak Hill.

Don in Austin

Old 02-07-2017, 11:24 PM

169 posts, read 184,935 times
People giving panhandlers money are the problem themselves. No homeless or panhandlers should ever be given any cash. It's pretty well-known and established that there are charities taking care of them, and all homeless people know about locations of where to get food, clothes, etc. If you want to help, give money to a homeless charity. If you give it directly to a person, you're not helping; you're adding to the problem by trying to make yourself feel better. You also stop traffic while fumbling for that change when the light is green.

I would assume that everybody knows this by now, but I still see people feeding them cash all the time.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,943,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
There is a fairly well-dressed man who has a sign about his son having cancer that has been running his scam for a few years now. My wife stopped and talked to him one day and for someone who was desperately trying to save his son from cancer, he sure didn't know much about that malady. He moves around. He has been on South Lamar and he has been at the "Y" in Oak Hill.

Don in Austin
That guy. Ugh. He's been at that scam for at least 20 years. I think he moves from area to area so he has "fresh" victims. There have been a few warnings on social media circulating around in the past. I saw him fairly recently at 2222 and Mopac -- hadn't seen him for a long time in my neck of the woods prior to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin