U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 PM

12,027 posts, read 11,837,096 times

Advertisements

Please give me your thoughts on this area. As chronicled in my earlier thread, trying to find a house that isn't too old (30 years), too expensive (over $250k), or isn't in a "so-so" neighborhood in the northern suburbs is daunting. My mother viewed a bunch of houses in Georgetown, including one in older section of Berry Creek (not Villages). From what I can see and gather, Berry Creek is a golf course community and seems to be a great area. My mother doesn't care about distance to austin, just distance to her grandkids , so she's open to exploring other suburbs like Georgetown and Leander. Georgetown would be closer to us (far east RR) than Leander.

I'd also like to thank all of the posters who responded to my earlier thread. it has given us some food for thought.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 PM

13,863 posts, read 30,712,235 times
I have to giggle to myself a little when I hear 'older' sections of Berry Creek, 'cause Berry Creek did not exist when I lived up right next to where it is now.

Anyway, spend some time up there an make sure the not-so-little-anymore airport is not a problem, which is just down the road. Probably isn't, that is further than we were from the airport, but it has expanded since we lived there, as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Ah. I didn't realize that GT had an airport...

Looks like the southern part of the neighborhood is in the flight path but she would be in the north. I don't think she could put up with commercial jets, which I think are far louder and damaging than the recreational ones, am I right? She lived in a flight path of LaGuardia Airport in New York City, so you can imagine the nonstop noise.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:40 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,827,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Please give me your thoughts on this area. As chronicled in my earlier thread, trying to find a house that isn't too old (30 years), too expensive (over $250k), or isn't in a "so-so" neighborhood in the northern suburbs is daunting. My mother viewed a bunch of houses in Georgetown, including one in older section of Berry Creek (not Villages). From what I can see and gather, Berry Creek is a golf course community and seems to be a great area. My mother doesn't care about distance to austin, just distance to her grandkids , so she's open to exploring other suburbs like Georgetown and Leander. Georgetown would be closer to us (far east RR) than Leander.

I'd also like to thank all of the posters who responded to my earlier thread. it has given us some food for thought.
I've visited Berry Creek 8-10 times (a couple of times for golf and the rest for tennis) and love it. I don't remember the Airport ever being an issue (& I was outside all day on several different days).

A friend lived in a patio home on the golf course (it was a perfect size & there were also some homes in that section that weren't "on" the golf course).

The Tennis Center is great (& old school) & very active.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM

13,863 posts, read 30,712,235 times
There is a 'history' to the airport that I won't get into here, but it is a backup landing strip (iirc) for some commercial airlines (which should hopefully never be needed) but it is large enough for turbo props to land, which are noisy as hell. Also, there are a lot of ultra-lights that seem to crash on an annual basis or something, but usually closer to the airport and generally only killing the pilots :/.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM

20,816 posts, read 40,127,625 times
Berry Creek is a very nice neighborhood. Some parts of it have an HOA and others don't. It's convenient to I35 for trips to see the grandkids, and convenient to the "big" HEB that was just renovated on Williams Drive and a pretty straight shoot to Wolfe Ranch. An Albertsons is also opening on Williams Drive in a few months which will give her a choice in grocery stores. I've never heard any complaints from that neighborhood about airplane noise - that's more a problem for parts of Serenada. The neighborhood is a nice mix of families of all ages and retired (some of whom have lived there forever, others who retired there). If she's into golf, she'd want to look into what the cost of a membership in the Berry Creek Country Club is.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,694,193 times
I lived in Berry Creek for two years. My parents owned a home there right near part of the golf course (my step-dad played on it about every day!). I don't recall hearing any planes from the airport (which is a couple of miles down the street from BC).

I haven't lived there since 2008, but its a pretty decent area. Sometimes the teenagers would get a little mischievous from time to time out there doing some vandalism and other minor things. Halloween is pretty crazy since everyone drives there kids in from all over town to go trick or treating in Berry Creek (since that's where the "good" candy is!). We'd run out of candy by 8:30 I recall. Just mobs of kids everywhere!

After my step-dad died, we sold his house last year for $280k. It was a seller market out there last year. Not sure how it is this year.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:59 PM
QQ2

1 posts, read 1,337 times
what about Pflugerville...only about a 20 minute drive to leander.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback, My mom has put in an offer on the Berry Creek house and is in the option period. She was concerned about the distance between us and her but it ended up being not as bad as she had thought. We are closer to Georgetown than we are to Austin. Georgetown is a pretty fascinating place that is definitely different from adjacent suburbs. It really is quintessentially "Texan" in almost every way. Noticed the airport. There was one small plane overhead that I didn't seem to notice, so she thinks she can work with that. We visited the Country Club, which seemed very nice, and the house. I think she will be happy. But if any of yall have anything more to say, let it be known now while she's in the Option Period

QQ2 - the market for Pflugerville and Round Rock is insane. INSANE. Can't find a home without fifty offers on it and to be honest, the homes in her price range aren't as aesthetically appealing as the Georgetown one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin