Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 41,927 times

Advertisements

Trying to find out best place to live in Austin area for our son who has autism. He is only four and we plan to relocate and this area is one of the options, we have family In southwest Austin and spicewood. We have a beloved dog that will not leave behind. He is a pit bull mix and a great companion for our son. Thinking I will look into getting his registered as a service animal.

Any suggestions in where to live that welcomes dogs, within driving distance of Costco and good school districts? I hear each district is different in its level of support and willingness to refer to outside private school for autism, which is our goal eventually. Husband will need to transfer jobs to Costco. I am a high school teacher so I could almost work anywhere. Thinking of maybe not working till we get settled though.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Dogs are not much of an issue in Austin, even pitties, especially if you have just one. I think the Austin area has two Costcos, one SW and one somewhere north. Are you looking to rent or buy?

I would try to talk to someone at a private school for Autism, they would know best about which districts more readily refer to private schools (I assume with the referral, the school district would pay for the private education? I would guess that this does not happen often or readily but I don't know)

I'd start with the Rise School, Capitol School, and CTAC
CTAC | Home

Old 02-23-2017, 10:09 AM

668 posts, read 783,434 times
I would also consider the Magnolia School in Lakeway which is not far from the Southwest Costco. There are three Costcos in Austin--one South, one near Great Hills, and a newer one in Cedar Park.

The Great Hills Costco has the distinction of being the highest-volume Costco in all of Texas and it is a hell, for shoppers anyway. I am not sure what it is like to work there.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM

668 posts, read 783,434 times
Also, you asked on another thread on what it is like getting services for special needs kids here and the resounding answer is that unless you have money for private therapy and/or private school, Texas is not a great place for that. I feel like this thread is sort of re-asking the same questions that have already been answered.

If you are planning on buying a house, you can live anywhere you want with a pit bull. If you need to rent an apartment or a house, you will have significant trouble doing so with a pit mix. Most apartments do not take dogs on the "bad breed" list, though there are some. What is your monthly housing budget?

I am not sure what you mean by a school district that is "willing to refer to outside private school for autism"--no public school here will "refer" you to a private school for anything. If you can personally pay for private school, you can go to any private school you feel meets your son's needs. Otherwise you are at the mercy of what the public school can provide, and other posters have explained in great detail how that process works, or doesn't, in Texas.

If you MUST move here and your family is in Southwest Austin and Spicewood, I think the Lakeway area (LTISD) would be your best bet. You would be very near an ASD-friendly private school (Magnolia) if you can afford it and that is your eventual goal, and not far from the South Austin Costco.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Texas is a very low public services state. You may be disappointed by all that is not provided here by the state. Also competition for teaching jobs in Austin is fierce. You may find it difficult to find a job, and when you do the wages will probably be lower than you are used to in other locations.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,483 times
Costco in Cedar Park and a new one coming soon to Pflugerville, so employment options may be available on the north end of metro as well. Huge growth may make teaching positions available as well.

Services for your son are, unfortunately, not going to be easy as they are in many other places. I offered our experience in another thread, we are not experts on the autism topic for younger kids so I will defer to others.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:54 AM

436 posts, read 570,455 times
Between this thread and the others I think OP knows that Texas is a low services state. They are also inquiring into Boston's local services so this is probably just information gathering. Or they REALLY REALLY REALLY love food trucks and live music and cant stand to be without it, no matter what. We have given OP our warnings and thats all we can do.

Pit Bulls are probably one of the most common breeds here, especially for pound puppies. Some apartments probably have breed or large animal restrictions but it will not be as big a deal as in other cities. Austin is very dog friendly. I have gotten two of my dogs from the pound(s) here in town in the last ten years (third from the street), both pit bulls. Each time I have visited the pound, pitts and pitt mixes easily outnumbered all the other dogs available. So do not expect a lot of panic from people if you own a pitt in Austin. That varies a bit depending on where in town you go, around the Domain it is all purse and fashion accessory dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin