Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM

209 posts, read 220,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I left my ethnic background out of my response and tried to directly answer your questions about Austin neighborhoods.

In light of your last response, I'll respond as a black woman because I understand your angle (I'll specify and state I'm 50% black, but married to a black man, have black children and wholeheartedly identify with black culture). Strictly speaking from the lens of a black woman and MY personal experience, Austin isn't necessarily a good fit for a black woman or black families, in general. If you're looking for cultural diversity and events, ideas, social interactions geared towards the black community, Austin is lacking. Houston offers much more for the black community.
Thanks for your feedback. If Austin is not a good fit for black women or a black family, why do you and your husband remain in the area?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I sincerely hope you don't take this the wrong way but I'm tired of hearing about Houston. If I want to know about Houston, I'll post directly on the Houston forum.

Perhaps part of the reason why so few middle/upper income blacks reside in Austin is because whenever people inquire about the city of Austin, "Austinites" or whatever you call yourselves, immediately tell them to consider Houston, instead of just discussing the pros and cons of Austin.
Then perhaps you should not have mentioned checking out Houston in your original post.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:26 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. If Austin is not a good fit for black women or a black family, why do you and your husband remain in the area?
You're welcome.

My husband is an Austin native, and he's very close to his family. He wouldn't dare leave his mother or grandmother. LOL. Ironically, I'd prefer the east coast or California, myself, (the area you are coming from and one you are considering) but I am compromising for my family. We have one child who will be graduating high school this year, so it was important to stay in the area, and we also have a child in elementary school who is firmly establishing her friendship roots.

If I didn't have a family, I probably would've ended up in Houston, if I stayed in Texas.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
actually you did pose a question about fitting in as a Black American. He wouldn't have posted that had you not made mention of your race and fitting in. If you solely wanted discussion on neighborhoods then why insert race into the mix?
That's what I thought too.... she brings it up, but doesn't want feedback. You could simply ask where a good place to live under $360K with these amenities and be done with it. But whatever right?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
To OP:

We must've been cross-posting again because I completely missed your response about Houston.

Nevertheless, I do prefer Houston over Austin because cultural diversity is important to me. I will say, however, that Austin appears to be a lot cleaner, and Austin offers a lot of outdoor recreation, which I gathered is important to you. I grew up in Tokyo, so I tend to be a "city girl," and when I moved to Austin in '93, I was not at all happy with the retail and dining options. The options have definitely improved since then.

I think if you consider living near The Domain, you'll have access to a lot of dining and retail, and you won't be too far from the "inner core" of Austin.

You might also want to consider the Mueller area, which is closer to Central Austin. You could probably find a smaller home in your price range. You'll be close to retail/dining, and there's a pretty decent Farmer's Market every weekend that I frequent. Nice park with trail, as well.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
If you are spending 300k+ on a condo downtown to be around the amenities, I dont think race or gender will be an issue, the hipster scene kids are pretty welcoming for the most part. If you are looking only for a middle class predominately african american community to move into however, the only one I know of is in Pflugerville. There are probably others, I just do not know of them. The only place you might find an actual home for that price range in the Austin City Limits I think might be my neck of the woods in North East Austin (78753). But you would have to drive to everything downtown, like we all do. Or avoid downtown like the plague, like we all do

Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Houston is not really at the top of my list. Something tells me that many people throughout Houston are heavily into Christianity. Based on what I have read, I don't get the same feeling about the inner core of Austin (though I could be wrong).
Totally false. You are thinking about Dallas. Houston's attitudes towards religion are laid back. There are less evangelicals and more mainstream like Catholics & Methodists, i.e. less in your face. Dallas is hard core evangelicals.

Austin is atheist/agnostic central.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
FYI, there are a lot of black women in the area that like to date other races. Austin is good for that because it's more accepting than Houston or DFW. However, if you want to "stay within your race" then Houston is far better.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Austin sounds like a horrible fit for you.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

283 posts, read 255,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Austin sounds like a horrible fit for you.
I'd have to agree. In addition to churches and Christians, we have a lot of people who own guns and pickups down here, which can be quite a cultural shock to folks coming from the Northeast. I think California is the place the OP wants to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin