Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 AM

209 posts, read 219,441 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Northeast and very much interested in relocating to a warmer part of the country. I like sunshine year round; therefore, I was considering relocating to Southern California. The problem is, I'm priced out of the housing market, and have no interest in renting for the rest of my life (I really want to purchase property, once my lease expires in 16 months).

I'm in the process of making plans to visit Austin, to determine if it's a suitable city for me.

A little info about me:

I work from home (technically I can live anywhere in the U.S.). My housing budget max is 380K, though I would prefer to stay under 360K if possible.

I've read several older posts about Austin not being a good fit for black Americans (particularly, single black women), I'm wondering if this is still the case? The advice seems to be that Houston would be a better fit. I will be certain to check out Houston when I'm in TX, but I've watched several videos of Austin and the city seems pretty interesting. But of course, I won't really know which city is best, until I have the opportunity to visit both.

Presently, I'm just trying to figure out which area of Austin would be a good fit for me. I'm a home body, but I would like to be close-in to the downtown area (near lots of shops and restaurants). Of course I have a car, but I've always preferred having access to public transportation (primarily trains), therefore it would be great to be situated next to good transit options.

Please chime in with your suggestions on the areas that I should consider for my housing search.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM

8,001 posts, read 10,384,463 times
Just a bit of advice from a transplanted Nor'Easterner, people from the Northeast (me included) tend to have the hardest time adjusting to Austin (or Houston). The culture, climate, topography, landscape, everything is just so, so much different. There have been a lot of threads on this topic.

Where exactly are you coming from?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Just a bit of advice from a transplanted Nor'Easterner, people from the Northeast (me included) tend to have the hardest time adjusting to Austin (or Houston). The culture, climate, topography, landscape, everything is just so, so much different. There have been a lot of threads on this topic.

Where exactly are you coming from?
Thanks for your comment, but I posted this topic to get advice about which neighborhoods in Austin I should look into (based on my interests --in the initial post).

I'm not interested in discussing whether or not I will be able to adjust to the topography, landscape, culture or climate in Austin. I've lived in a variety of different cities and I'm fully aware that it will be an adjustment.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 AM

9,845 posts, read 13,648,170 times
Come and visit first then decide if it would be a good fit. Do the touristy things, check things out north of the river, south of the river, west of the 35, east of 35. Come when it's hot. Like really hot. Then decide. 380k would get you an okay small house in central Austin or a bit larger house in the suburbs. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 AM

480 posts, read 528,480 times
Maybe Crestview? I live South Side which has 0 train transit, I'm sure others can provide more info about North of the river.

Austin winters can get pretty nasty, though they will be much shorter than a New England winter, but if you truly want warm weather for decent prices have you considered Florida?

Edit: For sunshine and lower prices there is also Arizona and NV (Las Vegas).

Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,069,063 times
You will need a very good realtor to get anything central on that budget that is a single family home. Your price range is determines all.

UNLESS you are willing to look in SE Austin. I assume that schools are not a concern and not likely to be? SE Austin is the last quadrant of the city to undergo redevelopment -- for decades there have been ranches and large fields of vacant land in that area. Today (2017) most are now being covered in new homes. Look at new construction in zip codes 78741 and 78744. Close to downtown (10-15 minutes), not particular well served by transit, not particularly close to grocery stores or restaurants but a short drive away. Likely to appreciate. Neighborhoods are diverse and filled with transplants. This is the area I am recommending to my own brother (single, owns his business, lives in LA), his price range is lower than yours and this is the only place close in where it is possible for him to buy a home.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,845,600 times
I would say for your budget and requirements, Houston is a better fit IMHO. You're just going to have trouble with that price range and being close to public transportation. If you want to be out in suburbia then Pflugerville is an option for you.

This year winter was about 2 weeks long so this is the right place for mild winters and very hot summers.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,090,166 times
Will you consider purchasing a townhome/condo? If so, there are a few townhome/condo complexes in Avery Ranch, and that area has a decent supply of restaurants. It's also fairly close to a metro rail station. It's not very close to downtown, but it's close to The Domain, which is probably the current prime location for retail and restaurants. If the townhome/condo thing isn't for you, there are plenty of homes in your price range in Avery Ranch, as well. We have a fellow poster, here, who has lived in the area for a while, and he can probably chime in a bit more.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,091,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Thanks for your comment, but I posted this topic to get advice about which neighborhoods in Austin I should look into (based on my interests --in the initial post).

I'm not interested in discussing whether or not I will be able to adjust to the topography, landscape, culture or climate in Austin. I've lived in a variety of different cities and I'm fully aware that it will be an adjustment.
The central core of austin will be out of your price range, unless you get a condo. It would help to know

1) how much square footage you need
2) age of housing stock
3) what kinds of things you do
4) schools?

You can definitely find or build a nice property in your price range on the east side which is gentrifying. The houses are smaller and older, but there are a ton of restaurants etc to walk to. If you go further east you can get acreage in your price range (like 10-20) and have a small farm.

if you want more eclectic in city then you can probably get a decent condo south of the river which is more traditionally austin. Also gives you access to zilker and the barton creek greenbelt if you like outdoors activities.

It is difficult to make a recommendation without a little more info. you can read the sticky to find the full list of things.

Austinhomesearch.com is the official board of realtors MLS site so has the most accurate listings. You can search on 380k and your criteria and we can help with culture to see where might be a good fit.

This is a screenshot showing single family homes under 380k. The central core has none, as you go south, north or east there are a lot. As you go far west to the lake there are a lot. If you add condos back in, then there are a lot of choices in the central core as well.

Not sure why everyone is pushing you to the suburbs, but they do that a lot. There is only one train line in austin and it isnt useful so I wouldnt move to be close to it. If for some reason you are really stuck on trains, then you can live on the east side near the plaza saltillo station at 5th and comal

Last edited by Austin97; 02-27-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The central core of austin will be out of your price range, unless you get a condo. It would help to know

1) how much square footage you need
2) age of housing stock
3) what kinds of things you do
4) schools?

You can definitely find or build a nice property in your price range on the east side which is gentrifying. The houses are smaller and older, but there are a ton of restaurants etc to walk to. If you go further east you can get acreage in your price range (like 10-20) and have a small farm.

if you want more eclectic in city then you can probably get a decent condo south of the river which is more traditionally austin. Also gives you access to zilker and the barton creek greenbelt if you like outdoors activities.

It is difficult to make a recommendation without a little more info. you can read the sticky to find the full list of things.

Austinhomesearch.com is the official board of realtors MLS site so has the most accurate listings. You can search on 380k and your criteria and we can help with culture to see where might be a good fit.

This is a screenshot showing single family homes under 380k. The central core has none, as you go south, north or east there are a lot. As you go far west to the lake there are a lot. If you add condos back in, then there are a lot of choices in the central core as well.

Not sure why everyone is pushing you to the suburbs, but they do that a lot. There is only one train line in austin and it isnt useful so I wouldnt move to be close to it. If for some reason you are really stuck on trains, then you can live on the east side near the plaza saltillo station at 5th and comal
I'm not adverse to getting a condo, though I would prefer a new single family home in Austin. I'm usually a home body, but I'd still like to live close-in (within walking distance (or a short drive away)) from good healthy eateries and shops.

I love Yoga and jogging. I also like water sports, like kayaking. Though I'm not an avid rock climber, it would be nice to have that option as well.

Schools are only important as far as re-sale value.. since I don't have --nor do I want children.

Also, I would prefer not to live next to a Church, or around people who are heavily into the Christian faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin