Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 AM

32 posts, read 37,558 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'll be in town in the next couple of weeks to secure housing (I'll be renting), I'm meeting with an apartment locator personell and based on where I'll be working, we've narrowed my search down to South Austin (SW). When I get in town we will tour the properties so I would like recommendations on hotels that are clean and safe that's close to the airport? I won't have my vehicle, thus, I would like to be close to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,638 times
You're coming during SXSW?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KileyGirl80 View Post
Hi all,
I'll be in town in the next couple of weeks to secure housing (I'll be renting), I'm meeting with an apartment locator personell and based on where I'll be working, we've narrowed my search down to South Austin (SW). When I get in town we will tour the properties so I would like recommendations on hotels that are clean and safe that's close to the airport? I won't have my vehicle, thus, I would like to be close to the airport.
I hope that means last week of March not the next two weeks.
I might recommend staying near the area you are looking instead of by the airport if you're coming in the next two weeks. I'd want to avoid the airport area as much as possible during sxsw.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM

No, I'm not scheduled to be there during SXSW.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
If you HAVE to be close to the airport, then pick the Hilton that is on the airport grounds. Other airport hotels are farther away down 71, all are isolated and you really need a car, why not just rent one?

Otherwise, the suggestion to find a hotel in SW Austin close to where you want to rent is a good one.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not scheduled to be there during SXSW.
Phew. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it....why not get an Airbnb in the area you are considering? You can use one of the non-uber ride share options to get around. Then you'd really get a feel for where you'd like to be.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
If you HAVE to be close to the airport, then pick the Hilton that is on the airport grounds. Other airport hotels are farther away down 71, all are isolated and you really need a car, why not just rent one?

Otherwise, the suggestion to find a hotel in SW Austin close to where you want to rent is a good one.

Thanks for actually recommending a hotel. Don't need a car because I've already made arrangements to get around to view the proprieties. I just want to be close to the airport because of my return flight.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Phew. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it....why not get an Airbnb in the area you are considering? You can use one of the non-uber ride share options to get around. Then you'd really get a feel for where you'd like to be.
I've always been nervous about using Airbnb. Good suggestion though, I might have to look into it. Now that I'm looking at hotels, the prices don't seem reasonable at all.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I've always been nervous about using Airbnb. Good suggestion though, I might have to look into it. Now that I'm looking at hotels, the prices don't seem reasonable at all.
I have never done it either, but have come very close. I'm sure someone who has (or even has an Airbnb) can give you some tips. I do know some families that use their homes for airbnbs during sxsw and they have no issues and quite enjoy their own mini-vacay away from the madness. Good luck! I don't know a darn thing about southwest Austin so I'm no help there.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
The highest rates of the entire year for both Airbnb and hotels will be in March! Many short term rentals double their rates during March and availability, even after SXSW is over, will be slim. The highest rates for hotels will be downtown but the airport is probably in the next tier.

I would look at hotels farther away, even into Buda. Use a taxi or ride share service to get back to the airport when you need to, if you are saving $75 or more on your nights in the hotel, then you will still come out ahead.

Note: hotel and STR rates come down after SXSW but generally stay elevated all spring until UT and high school graduations are over in May/June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: