Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

Another one gone?

Second Hutto City Council member resigns in less than a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I don't know, they're all crazy. Michael Smith had to resign due to non payment of taxes, and a whole lot of other bad things. Bettina Jordan is a friend of his, from what I hear, so she resigned because she didn't like how critical of him people were. Tim Jordan will hopefully be a better person for the job.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
The city manager seems to be in the periphery of it all, too.

Tumult at Hutto City Hall as city manager, ex-employees point fingers

I have to admit, a quick look at his Detroit history makes you pause...

Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Growth and related growing pains in a small community play a role. Only having been here a few years it seems like there was some turnover needed.

Community is doing good stuff as they look forward now. New downtown district in the plans, just purchased land for additional park/public space on developing outskirts, and adding a new light industrial development to try and offset the tax burden homeowners are feeling.

I really suspect that the Gattis School/130 HEB will be an anchor for the south limit of Hutto and the areas leading into town will develop rapidly. Gattis School Rd eastbound (CR138) and 3349 developments will create added access to the east side of the city as well and should be a lift for Hutto and for Taylor when completed.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Seems there are some new people in control now. First time since we moved here had a WARNING letter on our door about putting stuff out by the street. People do it all the time and it usually gets picked up. I'd rather see someone put it out for someone to take vs having it go to the landfill. (today I picked up a really nice outdoor table that needs a bit of work but will look great when finished) It was out by the street but it was not in this neighborhood.

They say it "blocks the right of way" but seriously....you cannot drive next to the curb anyway...cars are parked in the road.

The years we have been here it has never been an issue. This neighborhood is not an HOA. Or, maybe someone near us complained about it...

Whatever...

My take on the whole "thing" going on is there are people that would like to keep Hutto a small town and then there are power drivers that want growth, growth, growth. Seems to be lot's of money for "incentives". Seeing little strip malls going up, lot's of land being purchased, not sure what is being built...maybe more storage facilities. I've never seen so many storage places. wth? Some of them out in the middle of nowhere!

And since I'm talking about growth...take a drive down 110 off of 79. Unbelievable. Not just 110 either...makes me just about cry to see what little trees there are being bulldozed over.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
...My take on the whole "thing" going on is there are people that would like to keep Hutto a small town and then there are power drivers that want growth, growth, growth. Seems to be lot's of money for "incentives". Seeing little strip malls going up, lot's of land being purchased, not sure what is being built...maybe more storage facilities. I've never seen so many storage places. wth? Some of them out in the middle of nowhere!

And since I'm talking about growth...take a drive down 110 off of 79. Unbelievable. Not just 110 either...makes me just about cry to see what little trees there are being bulldozed over.
The days of a small town within commuting distance of Austin are gone. I agree, there are some mixed emotions with the development, but I think it is pretty much inevitable. We may as well have some leadership that is willing to manage that growth, encourage business development that will prevent the entire cost of infrastructure development from falling on the homeowners.

We have come to the conclusion that the storage places are due to no basements and attics being too hot for many household items to be stored.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Storage places are apparently cash cows! They allow an incredible return per sq foot and very little on-going investment/upkeep. I live very central, land prices are nuts, and yet there are TWO large storage places going up near me -- one replacing a long-time, keep austin weird collection of artist shops, co-op and record store. The other replacing a hotel that burned. And somehow, storage places can make it work! Kinda sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: