Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

If one were to take a trip to Austin with a date, what areas of town are other cities around Austin are the most scenic. I am preferably looking for places next to the lakes.

I am thinking Lakeway or Marble Falls? Which places would you say really bring out the beauty of the Hill Country? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Willow City Loop is a wonderful day trip through the Hill Country. Cap off the day with lunch in Fredericksburg.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 PM

Beautiful! I noted it on my list. Any places near the lakes that look resort-ish? I loved eating at the Oasis. It was like a slice of the mediterranean or something akin to it.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:35 AM

163 posts, read 158,825 times
Lakeway and Marble Falls isn't Austin.

The most scenic parts of Austin are the areas along Lake Austin.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
Lakeway and Marble Falls isn't Austin.

The most scenic parts of Austin are the areas along Lake Austin.
Apparently you missed the "other cities around Austin" part of the statement. Get over your Austin ego already, the rest of the world refers to the Central Texas area as Austin.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Well, it would help to have more info. Are you and your date in high school, or retired baby boomers, in your 30s, or what? That will partly determine your itinerary.

If you like a "day trip" sort of scenic adventure and drive, where you can make stops along the way and have 4+ hours to spend, and you like wine and/or you like poking around in shops, I'd drive out to Fredericksburg for a wine tasting trip (it's fun even if you don't drink wine), hit 1 or two places, then maybe lunch in Kerrville, then take the big loop back on 16 through Bandera, Medina, up through Boerne and back to Austin. Lots of Majestic scenery and quirky little stops along that route. Take your swim stuff and jump in a creek at some point also.

Or you could just go to the top of "Mount" Bonnell and gaze at the lake from above and kiss. Then go get coffee or a smoothie/dessert at Cafe Monet on Lake Austin. You can knock that out in under two hours.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 03-28-2017 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, it would help to have more info. Are you and your date in high school, or retired baby boomers, in your 30s, or what? That will partly determine your itinerary.

If you like a "day trip" sort of scenic adventure and drive, where you can make stops along the way and have 4+ hours to spend, and you like wine and/or you like poking around in shops, I'd drive out to Fredericksburg for a wine tasting trip (it's fun even if you don't drink wine), hit 1 or two places, then maybe lunch in Kerrville, then take the big loop back on 16 through Bandera, Medina, up through Boerne and back to Austin. Lots of Majestic scenery and quirky little stops along that route. Take your swim stuff and jump in a creek at some point also.

Or you could just go to the top of "Mount" Bonnell and gaze at the lake from above and kiss. Then go get coffee or a smoothie/dessert at Cafe Monet on Lake Austin. You can knock that out in under two hours.

Steve
Forgot to add I'm in my early 30s and love wine. I'm gonna look up all the spots you listed and check em out. It seems as though Fredericksburg is the place, no? It must be nice.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Apparently you missed the "other cities around Austin" part of the statement. Get over your Austin ego already, the rest of the world refers to the Central Texas area as Austin.
What happened? Did somebody pee in your Cheerios this morning?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Forgot to add I'm in my early 30s and love wine. I'm gonna look up all the spots you listed and check em out. It seems as though Fredericksburg is the place, no? It must be nice.
If you're staying in Fredericksburg, there are plenty of B&Bs and wine tasting tours via shuttles. also a great side trip to hike up Enchanted Rock is a must. You can Google it all up for info & pics.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If one were to take a trip to Austin with a date, what areas of town are other cities around Austin are the most scenic. I am preferably looking for places next to the lakes.

I am thinking Lakeway or Marble Falls? Which places would you say really bring out the beauty of the Hill Country? Thanks!
Jonestown on 1431 is pretty scenic. Parts of Lake Travis extends out there. In fact the drive along 1431 between Cedar Park and Marble Falls is one of the more scenic drives in the Austin region. If it hadn't been so far out from where I worked in Southeast Austin, I would have moved to Jonestown in the 70's when I had the opportunity.

If you want to see what the drive looks like, there's a video on youtube. Type Texas Hill Country Ranch Road 1431 in the YouTube search box. It's a good video.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-28-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin